1/35 Ukrainian Merkava IV (Academy)

Started by Old Wombat, May 22, 2023, 01:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Waiting for "mud" to dry is something like watching grass grow. :blink:

I've put two over-washes of a mix of two SMS oil washes (dark brown:brown, 1:3) onto the "mud" as it was a bit on the light side.

This has soaked into the "mud" mix & the colour is much better, now. :thumbsup:

Once this is dry, I'll gloss clear coat it, give it a light touch of white oil wash, then matt clear coat.

After that, I'll fit it together & put in the (link-&-length) tracks. The off-ground tracks will then be "muddied", so I can fit the armoured skirts.

This will, finally, get me to where I can do the paint scheme ... Before dirtying that up a bit.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Hahaha..oh the memory playing silly buggers with ya is it  ;D ..this I know all to well.
Fact I'm off to the hospital tomorrow for 2 scans ..one for my heart and the other for my lungs..should be all good .
Tell ya one thing mate..this Centurion sounds like it's going to be epic when it's done  :thumbsup:
I'm seriously looking forward to pics matey boy 😄
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Gloss coat done.

With luck I'll get to do the white wash tonight.

Quote from: Wardukw on June 06, 2023, 10:15:12 PMTell ya one thing mate..this Centurion sounds like it's going to be epic when it's done  :thumbsup:

Funny, I could have sworn I was building a Merkava. :P  ;D

Old Wombat

White oil wash is done.

I'm going to wait until the matt coat is on but I think there's something missing from the effect, it doesn't sparkle like ice should.

I have an idea to fix that but it may take a couple of days to acquire the appropriate effects paint.

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 07, 2023, 04:29:25 AMGloss coat done.

With luck I'll get to do the white wash tonight.

Quote from: Wardukw on June 06, 2023, 10:15:12 PMTell ya one thing mate..this Centurion sounds like it's going to be epic when it's done  :thumbsup:

Funny, I could have sworn I was building a Merkava. :P  ;D
Yeah so was I...guess that was lack of coffee and exhaustive thinking during the day which drained me  :wacko:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Matt coat is on & drying. :unsure:

Which is not normal, it's usually dried before I finish the next part, but it's so bleeding cold here right now I should feel myself lucky it's drying at all. :-\

Wardukw

As I sit here at 5.50am Saturday morning enjoying my first or many coffees it's a love 5.9C outside and about 7c inside ..far to cold to paint or think right now.
Tell ya one thing..first coffee is gone  ;D

zenrat

Morning DUKWy.  We're just off to bed here.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Jakko

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 09, 2023, 04:08:16 AMit's so bleeding cold here right now
I wish I had that "problem" ... 32° here today, even with the fan on in my hobby room I didn't exactly feel like doing much there after all.
... I know all this and more ...

Old Wombat

Quote from: Jakko on June 10, 2023, 10:52:19 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on June 09, 2023, 04:08:16 AMit's so bleeding cold here right now
I wish I had that "problem" ... 32° here today, even with the fan on in my hobby room I didn't exactly feel like doing much there after all.

Swap you? :unsure:

That's my kind of weather! :thumbsup:

Jakko

Gladly — the cold you can at least get rid of with heating and wearing more clothing.

Old Wombat

Right, the "ice" effect has been trialled & found to be fairly reasonable. So I finished the undersides with that. :mellow:

I won't say that anyone more familiar with icing in deeply sub-zero temperatures will think it's any good but I, as a warm temperature native, think it looks OK. ;)

The technique is very simple; I washed on some very thinned SMS White Pearl (PL28) paint over the "muddy" areas (& some not so muddy areas).

I'll try to get some photo's up over the next few days but I'm not confident that it will show in digital images.

Point is: I'm happy with it & that's what really counts. ;D

Wardukw

Quote from: Jakko on June 11, 2023, 01:43:43 AMGladly — the cold you can at least get rid of with heating and wearing more clothing.
Jakko mate you'll soon come to realize that the Australian is a strange creature ..it's seems the hotter it gets the happier they are..in the scientific world this has not yet been explained because everyone ones knows extremely hot weather is crap.
It's reckoned it must be the heat  :wacko:

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 11, 2023, 05:02:43 AMPoint is: I'm happy with it & that's what really counts. ;D

Indeed it does  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Jakko

Quote from: Wardukw on June 11, 2023, 11:17:13 AMthe Australian is a strange creature ..it's seems the hotter it gets the happier they are..
Yeah, that's the impression I have too. Thoroughly incomprehensible ... we've been having four days of around 30 degrees now, and I would like it to drop by at least five degrees, and preferably ten, sooner rather than later. For no other reason than that it's too hot in my attic modelling room to do anything there, of course ;)