1/350 scale CVN-90 USS United States Stealth Aircraft Carrier

Started by seadude, May 23, 2023, 06:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Still waiting for any opinions to my post # 86 further above regarding the laser defense systems if anybody has any suggestions. ;)

In other news............
Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. :( I made a big mistake. It's hard to explain and might take too long, but the short story is that I accidentally glued part of the starboard side flight deck to the hull. And I can't or don't want to remove it for fear of doing irrepairable damage to that side.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

kerick

Is that where the island will sit? Maybe you can cut where the island sits.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

seadude

Quote from: kerick on July 08, 2023, 11:14:07 AMIs that where the island will sit? Maybe you can cut where the island sits.

No. That's not really a good idea. Not sure how I can explain it, but I gave it some thought and I don't think that would work.
I'm not sure how other people build carriers, but I would assume a person builds and paints the main hull, then sets that aside.
Then they go and build/paint the flight deck pieces.
Then when everything is finally built/painted, they then attach the finished flight deck pieces to the finished hull.
Well, I don't have the luxury of that sequence of events. So I'll have to finish gluing down the rest of the unbuilt/unpainted flight deck pieces to the unbuilt/unpainted ship hull, then paint the entire thing after it has been assembled, which I'm guessing might not be that easy. But we'll see.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Old Wombat

Sorry, can't think of anything for the laser defence systems.

How badly did the liquid cement get into where it wasn't wanted? If it's not too bad you may be able to slice through the unintended join with a razor blade?
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

seadude

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 08, 2023, 08:24:42 PMSorry, can't think of anything for the laser defence systems.

How badly did the liquid cement get into where it wasn't wanted? If it's not too bad you may be able to slice through the unintended join with a razor blade?

Bad enough that like I said, I don't want to remove that flight deck piece for fear of doing substantial damage. That TAMIYA extra thin cement is like water almost and goes everywhere it wants to go.

Steel Penguin

any chance that reapplying the cement and gently lifting may work?    it may not be the cleanest separation but...
or if the island is an easily replaceable part, chain drilling the base and sanding?  instead of chain drilling the deck and removing.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Old Wombat

Quote from: Steel Penguin on July 09, 2023, 08:39:30 AMany chance that reapplying the cement and gently lifting may work?    it may not be the cleanest separation but...

Actually, not a bad idea!

I've done it myself &, if you're careful, not very messy at all but you do have to let the surfaces dry & sand/file them back a bit before re-fixing when you get to that stage.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

seadude

You guys want me to put MORE cement on the area?  :o  :o  :o
Isn't that just going to make things worse? 
It's hard for me to explain this entire situation without somebody actually being here to see it. Suffice to say, I'm probably going to have to deal with what I got and just continue building onward. I've dug myself a hole and now I have to climb out of it.

seadude

seadude

seadude

seadude

Due to lack of replies, I guess I must be boring everybody?  :unsure: 
*sigh*  This website obviously needs more ship modelers.

crudebuteffective

Quote from: seadude on July 16, 2023, 08:48:15 AMDue to lack of replies, I guess I must be boring everybody?  :unsure: 
*sigh*  This website obviously needs more ship modelers.

boring us??????? most of us dont feel worthy to reply given the masterclass in modelling any of your builds give us
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

PR19_Kit

Some of us who don't model ships don't understand what you're trying to do perhaps?

We can appreciate the modelling skills involved, but as we don't know about the real subject it's not easy to write an educated reply.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

seadude

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 16, 2023, 08:55:03 AMSome of us who don't model ships don't understand what you're trying to do perhaps?

Gee, I thought all my pics were kinda self explanatory?