1/350 scale CVN-90 USS United States Stealth Aircraft Carrier

Started by seadude, May 23, 2023, 06:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: seadude on July 30, 2023, 04:10:37 PMI don't know about anybody else, but I think a what if future battleship, destroyer, and aircraft carrier might look nice together. ;) [/size]

Definitely and they'll certainly take up a lot of room.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 31, 2023, 06:33:47 AM
Quote from: seadude on July 30, 2023, 04:10:37 PMI don't know about anybody else, but I think a what if future battleship, destroyer, and aircraft carrier might look nice together. ;) [/size]

Definitely and they'll certainly take up a lot of room.

Yep, they certainly will. Especially the carrier once it's in a display case that I hope to have for it. The carrier itself when finished will be approx. 38" inches long x 10 1/2" inches wide.
To put the carrier in a display case which I'll need when going to 2 contests next year, I'm thinking the base and/or the interior dimensions to be approx. 44" inches long x 14" inches wide. I'm hoping that will be enough. Maybe?
In other news.............
I'll be starting on gluing down the aft flight deck piece next, then working on the port and starboard aft weapon sponson areas as well as enlarging the flight deck slightly in those two corner areas. Could be quite awhile before I have new in progress pics ready to show. Please be patient and wish me luck.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Old Wombat

Quote from: seadude on July 30, 2023, 04:10:37 PMI don't know about anybody else, but I think a what if future battleship, destroyer, and aircraft carrier might look nice together. ;)

Very true! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

But not as true as if it was an aircraft carrier, a battleship, a cruiser, a destroyer & a frigate/corvette! :wacko:  :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

seadude

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 31, 2023, 08:38:15 AM
Quote from: seadude on July 30, 2023, 04:10:37 PMI don't know about anybody else, but I think a what if future battleship, destroyer, and aircraft carrier might look nice together. ;)

Very true! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

But not as true as if it was an aircraft carrier, a battleship, a cruiser, a destroyer & a frigate/corvette! :wacko:  :wacko:

Well, I do have plans to hopefully acquire sometime in the future either a 1/350 Spruance or Ticonderoga model kits. I'd love to convert one of those and put a 8"/55 Mk.71 gun at the front to replace the smaller regular 5"/54 Mk.45 used so commonly on US Navy destroyers and cruisers. And of course, I'd like to get another Freedom and/or Independence class LCS ships. Oh, and lest I forget, it's on my bucket list to get a 1/350 scale Zumwalt DDG destroyer model. Hope to have one of those before the end of the year.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

Picture dump, Part 1
Extra flight deck parking area on the aft starboard side is done. Just needs a little bit of puttying and sanding before it is finally finished.
Then I'll eventually move toward working on the aft starboard side weapon sponson.

seadude

Picture dump, Part 2
Aft starboard side extra flight deck space.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

seadude

seadude

seadude

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

seadude

Not much new in the way of updates.
But if anybody has any advice concerning the last picture, I'd appreciate it.  :thumbsup:
Need some help.
As I was test placing the island superstructure on my aircraft carrier flight deck to see where I wanted it to go and so forth, I noticed a considerable gap (Red rectangle in picture.) between the bottom edge of the island superstructure and the surface of the flight deck. How the heck do I fix this? I then took the island structure and placed it on a completely flat piece of sheet styrene. As I looked at all sides where the bottom of the island structure touched the sheet styrene, there was no gaps. So I'm thinking there must be something wrong with the flight deck instead? Maybe some warpage that I missed and never knew was there?

Steel Penguin

the only thing i can think of was place a small plate inside the tower and then a very careful wipe of filler  but im not certain how to get a nice bead, then a good angled finish without a lot of filing.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!