Fire Spotter

Started by kerick, May 23, 2023, 10:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kerick

Quote from: kerick link=msg=url="tel:1006337"]1006337[/url] date=hull At first I was just going to stick half a fuel tank on the underside of the Bk117 cabin but that looks silly.

I thought it would look silly then I googled a pic of the Argosy!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on July 01, 2023, 11:05:37 AM
Quote from: kerick link=msg=url="tel:1006337"]1006337[/url] date=hull At first I was just going to stick half a fuel tank on the underside of the Bk117 cabin but that looks silly.

I thought it would look silly then I googled a pic of the Argosy!

;D  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

The UV resin part worked out pretty good. Just a bunch of filling and sanding for now.
For the main gear I grabbed the leftover gear from the Airfix P-40s I used on the WW2 chopper project. I used the kit wheels. It's coming together. These details are more complicated than I expected.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on July 06, 2023, 12:54:43 PMThe UV resin part worked out pretty good. Just a bunch of filling and sanding for now.
For the main gear I grabbed the leftover gear from the Airfix P-40s I used on the WW2 chopper project. I used the kit wheels. It's coming together. These details are more complicated than I expected.
Ken mate it's always the smallest things which take the longest time..as the old saying goes...the devils in the details 🙄 😉
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Quote from: Wardukw on July 06, 2023, 09:44:26 PM
Quote from: kerick on July 06, 2023, 12:54:43 PMThe UV resin part worked out pretty good. Just a bunch of filling and sanding for now.
Ken mate it's always the smallest things which take the longest time..as the old saying goes...the devils in the details 🙄 😉

That's for sure!
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Don't worry mate..the little things do have a finish line..just seems some times the bugger is a long ways off..man do I know that all to well 😉
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

I have to start thinking of paint. The lightest grey I have will be the primer. I suppose acrylics will work although I have a bunch of Testors white. Plus some acrylic international orange. Some of the early fire bombers had a bunch of natural metal so we'll see about that.
Tophe the Wise

royabulgaf

Kerick, where did you get the UV resin?
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

kerick

Craft store. They sell it for making jewelry. They want you to buy the UV light to cure it but a uv flashlight is cheaper and you can use it to find where the dog peed. It cures really fast in direct sunlight. No mixing required. Just don't try to fill the mold in the sunlight as it cures as it's coming out of the bottle.
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Would you have the same problem pouring it under artificial light?

Seems like that might be a good way of getting quick castings. :unsure:

kerick

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 09, 2023, 10:51:06 PMWould you have the same problem pouring it under artificial light?

Seems like that might be a good way of getting quick castings. :unsure:

Artificial lighting doesn't affect the resin. Sunlight on a clear day cures it very fast. The UV flashlight takes longer but gets the job done. Sunlight in the winter seems to take a long time or the resin gets cold and doesn't react.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Just realized I haven't posted pictures here in quite awhile. So here's a photo dump.

Here's with the UV resin casting in place with mucho putty applied. As I sanded off part of the existing underside to attach the casting I removed a couple of pieces of lead as I figured I had put in more than enough.
I skipped the other pics of gobs of Bondo as once you've seen one, you've seen them all.

And we have the cabin finally attached to the rest of the aircraft. Plastic cement where the plastic touches plastic and ca everywhere else.

Underside with lots of Bondo in place. It's going to have to stay that way. You can see the nose gear well and the new main gear arrangement. The cabin placement and the spacing of the prop tips worked out well.

The rest of the parts I need to deal with soon. Mostly just painting at this point. I need to lengthen the horizontal stab the same as the center wing. You can see the metal straight pin pieces I'm using for attaching the former P-40 legs to the P-82 wing.

This is the AH-1W Cobra conversion to a fire site command and control helicopter. This does have one foot in reality as the US Forest Service used AH-1H Cobras in that role for several years. I went with the Whiskey Cobra as I felt the USFS needed an upgrade and two engines would be good in the rugged terrain. Plus its the kit I had on hand anyway. I started a thread on it a while back. Hopefully as they will both be white I can at least paint the basic coat for both at once.
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Now THAT'S different!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit