The Lockheed-Martin-BAe F-35D Thunder

Started by PR19_Kit, May 25, 2023, 02:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

With the elevators in place it balances out visually a bit more, even though that means there's MORE surfaces aft,
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The PSR session is now WELL underway, and you can see what Dizzy meant when I said he knew why I needed all that Presto putty that he so kindly sourced for me, thanks Thomas.  :thumbsup:

You cannot view this attachment.

The top view of the Thunder before any sanding, and...

....the bottom view. There's a LOT if putty to sand off, and then re-apply of course. 

I've managed to get the extended flaps PSR'd yet again, but the extensions keep snapping off, so I've used the more fluid superglue on the joints and that seems to have done the trick. They're both in the middle of their PSR session now too. Rather oddly the 10 thou styrene extensions have gone 'plastic', in that they stay in the shape they are pushed into when I sand them, very strange. I've never had that happen before and I hope they don't stay like that.

After mucho sanding, and spot applications of even MORE putty, the top side looks like this, and you'll note the tailplanes are now glued on, and the airframe looks more balanced, or I think so anyway.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

It's strange Kit but that last pic makes the 35 look balanced...like that should be the way its built..but then we wouldn't have the pleasure of watching this build so I'm glad there not factory built like this 😀
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Vulcan7

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw on June 21, 2023, 12:09:23 PMIt's strange Kit but that last pic makes the 35 look balanced...like that should be the way its built..but then we wouldn't have the pleasure of watching this build so I'm glad there not factory built like this 😀

Because the tailplanes are so deep chordwise, and are attached right aft, they increase the overall length of the airframe and that effectively moves the position of the wing forward overall. The tailplanes are the same chord as the As and Bs, they just have a longer span on the Cs., and the Ds of course.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 21, 2023, 01:47:41 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on June 21, 2023, 12:09:23 PMIt's strange Kit but that last pic makes the 35 look balanced...like that should be the way its built..but then we wouldn't have the pleasure of watching this build so I'm glad there not factory built like this 😀

Because the tailplanes are so deep chordwise, and are attached right aft, they increase the overall length of the airframe and that effectively moves the position of the wing forward overall. The tailplanes are the same chord as the As and Bs, they just have a longer span on the Cs., and the Ds of course.  ;D
;D  ;D
It's the movement of the tailplanes which did it for sure and it's amazing how something so easy gives such great results 😀
Annoyingly at my LHS I found a Academy F-35 at a cheap price and I got all excited..then I realized it was 72nd and the excitement dropped   :lol:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

philp

It is looking really nice Kit.

If you keep having problems with the flaps you might just have to make a new set out of sheet plastic.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Wardukw

I would suggest pinning them but I think their far to thin for that ..Phillip's idea might be the best bet.

McColm

Your build reminds me that I should crack on with my V/STOL kitbash.

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw on June 21, 2023, 12:09:23 PMIt's strange Kit but that last pic makes the 35 look balanced...like that should be the way its built..

I was thinking exactly the same thing on seeing those images  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 21, 2023, 11:35:09 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on June 21, 2023, 12:09:23 PMIt's strange Kit but that last pic makes the 35 look balanced...like that should be the way its built..

I was thinking exactly the same thing on seeing those images  :thumbsup:
Great minds Chris..great minds  ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: philp on June 21, 2023, 05:13:29 PMIf you keep having problems with the flaps you might just have to make a new set out of sheet plastic.

They're looking a bit more hopeful now, but lots of PSR needed yet.

Making brand new ones would work apart from the fact that they have a VERY thick chunk right at the root for some reason, and that'd need multiple layers and some carving too I expect. I'll see how things go.

Regards
Kit

kerick

Quote from: McColm on June 21, 2023, 09:36:35 PMYour build reminds me that I should crack on with my V/STOL kitbash.

Yes, you should finish that! Paint it solid black with red markings.....
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: philp on June 21, 2023, 05:13:29 PMIf you keep having problems with the flaps you might just have to make a new set out of sheet plastic.

Good advice Phil.   :thumbsup:

I gave up on the butt-jointed flap extensions and cut some new, one piece flaps from a couple of sheets of 10 though, and then chopped off the shaped fairings from the kit parts and glued them in place.

Result!

A bit of filing and the inevitable PSR and they'll be good to go.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

;D this is going to look so good 👍 😍