The Lockheed-Martin-BAe F-35D Thunder

Started by PR19_Kit, May 25, 2023, 02:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2996 Victor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 01, 2023, 01:01:08 AMWho says you can't put an F-35C wing and tail on an F-35B?  ;D 

You cannot view this attachment.

Here's half of the job, together with the drawing. Lots of PSR and filing to shape to go yet of course, but it's starting too look OK.

And I was surprised how small the F-35 is compared to the Swift F10 that I've just built. I tend to think that modern day aircraft are larger than their earlier counterparts, but it's not so really.

:thumbsup:
Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

DogfighterZen

Looking very good, Kit! Can't wait to see this finished!  :thumbsup:
I've had the same idea but with the F-35A because mine will be a land based air force bird. I want the light gear and the internal gun of the A with a bigger wing but i'm still not sure how i'll be addressing extensions... i do have a couple of potential donors... ;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

I see Tamiya are bringing out a 1/72 scale kit to go with their 1/48th one. I've no idea why, but I'm seriously tempted. I blame you Kit  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

At one stage the Tamiya 1/72 F-35B was the same Italeri kit as I've got, so it any be best to 'check before purchase', as they say.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

On the size of aircraft:

I always thought the Mirage was quite a large plane ... until I saw one parked next to a Skyhawk at Nowra (1983/1984) & the Skyhawk dwarfed it!

OK, mostly in height but it was comparable, at least, in the other dimensions.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

I saw a pic of a F-35 parked  beside a F-15  :o
The 15 looked like a tower block with a single level house sitting beside it 😳
I'm liking where this is going Kit..longer wings is always good 👍 😊 👍
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 01, 2023, 07:21:54 AMAt one stage the Tamiya 1/72 F-35B was the same Italeri kit as I've got, so it any be best to 'check before purchase', as they say.....

Yup I realised that just after I'd logged off. If I do get one then I'll certainly check, cheers mate  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

This is makeing me plan a trip into the darkest reaches of the loft to find the Hasegawa F-35 I have stored there.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 02, 2023, 06:10:29 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 01, 2023, 07:21:54 AMAt one stage the Tamiya 1/72 F-35B was the same Italeri kit as I've got, so it any be best to 'check before purchase', as they say.....

Yup I realised that just after I'd logged off. If I do get one then I'll certainly check, cheers mate  :thumbsup:

The 1/72 Tamiya F-35A is supposed to be a new tool but like kit said, the F-35B is the Italeri kit so we'll have to wait and see.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Gondor

I dug my Hasegawa F-35A out of the loft this afternoon. Very fine engraved panel lines and decals for the RAM panels.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on June 02, 2023, 11:30:59 AMVery fine engraved panel lines and decals for the RAM panels.

A MUCH better idea than the 'heavy duty' Italeri solution!

The F-35D's starboard wing has had it's 3rd PSR session and it's looking pretty good, as is the starboard tailplane. Maybe some primed pics later on tonight.

Of course I've got to do it all again on the OTHER side too. :(

Oh yes, it seems the fins weren't extended for the C model, they're just the same as the As and Bs, so mine have been glued in place now, after the RAM panels were sanded off of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
This is going to look very cool when done. ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

You wait till you see the colour scheme I've got in mind for it..............   ;)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

As promised, here's the pic of the PSR'd and primere'd 'half an F-35D'. At least like this you can see the HUGE difference in wing area that the C wing makes.

It's not 100% done yet, needs a little more fettling, and you DON'T want to see the underside! That needs a lot of sanding and some more putty I expect.

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 02, 2023, 12:46:29 PM
Quote from: Gondor on June 02, 2023, 11:30:59 AMVery fine engraved panel lines and decals for the RAM panels.

A MUCH better idea than the 'heavy duty' Italeri solution!

That's what i've been saying for a while now and why i bought two of the A and the only B in my stash. The Hasegawa 1/72 kits of the F-35 are the best out there at the moment and, if the Tamiya new tool F-35A follows the same approach as the 1/48 kit, the RAM tape will be better than most but i think it won't beat the Hase kits re surface detail.

BTW, Just one detail, i've seen a lot of people say it's RAM panels but that's incorrect. the decals represent the RAM tape that's applied to seal the seams between the panels.