The Lockheed-Martin-BAe F-35D Thunder

Started by PR19_Kit, May 25, 2023, 02:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on June 04, 2023, 07:29:54 AMAs you are retired, twice I believe, I would think you are effectively in holiday mode all the time?

Of course. The late Mrs_PR19 said 'Now everyday is Saturday, we have Monday-Saturday, Tuesday-Saturday, Wednesday-Saturday etc. etc'.  ;D  ;D  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 04, 2023, 10:00:01 AM
Quote from: Gondor on June 04, 2023, 07:29:54 AMAs you are retired, twice I believe, I would think you are effectively in holiday mode all the time?

Of course. The late Mrs_PR19 said 'Now everyday is Saturday, we have Monday-Saturday, Tuesday-Saturday, Wednesday-Saturday etc. etc'.  ;D  ;D  ;D
😀😀😀 I like that  :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Quote from: Jakko on June 04, 2023, 02:30:31 AM
Quote from: Gondor on June 03, 2023, 12:11:13 PMProbably cost. It's not duct tape, it has to have as near the properties of the material it is covering and be adheisive as well.
That'll teach me to not include a smiley next time ... I thought the fact I was joking would have been fairly obvious :)

I knew.  Fart oo serious some folks on here.   ;D  ;D

Of course it could be that a roll of the special tape is all that you need and all the other claims are a coverup to hide how much money has been wasted...
 ;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 05, 2023, 04:53:07 AMOf course it could be that a roll of the special tape is all that you need and all the other claims are a coverup to hide how much money has been wasted...
 ;)

Can you imagine the price of a roll though ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 05, 2023, 06:03:00 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 05, 2023, 04:53:07 AMOf course it could be that a roll of the special tape is all that you need and all the other claims are a coverup to hide how much money has been wasted...
 ;)

Can you imagine the price of a roll though ?  :angel:

Probably be cheaper in the long run to develop a stealthy replacement for the F-15
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Jakko

;)
Well ... there is the semi-joke that the Pentagon is that place where every expenditure gets rounded up to the nearest ten million dollars ... so maybe they just bought a enough rolls to make the F-35 stealthy, but got billed individually for each of them?
... I know all this and more ...

PR19_Kit

Work on the F-35D has re-commenced as I've all, well some anyway, of my tool kit spread all over the bed of my hotel room on the IoW.  ;D

Goodness knows what the cleaning lady will think when she comes in tomorrow morning....

I've cut and glued the tailplane and elevator extensions in place for the port side bits, and I'm waiting for them to cure completely before starting the PSR. The underside of the extended starboard wing has now had it's 2nd session of PSR and it'll probably need a third too.

I'll try those 3d printed 'decals' for the instruments later on, never used them before so it'll be interesting seeing how they work.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

After a suggestion from Hazel, my lady friend, I've renamed the F-35D as the 'Thunder'.

As the RAF/FAA were the only users of this hybrid F-35B+C variant, their Airships having deemed that a UK aircraft called a Lightning could only have TWO engines, one on top of the other, they decided the -D variants should have their own name with the UK forces to distinguish them from the lesser capabilities of the F-35B Lightning IIs still remaining in service.

[Kit's Rule #2 applies....}

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 19, 2023, 06:31:41 AMAfter a suggestion from Hazel, my lady friend, I've renamed the F-35D as the 'Thunder'.

As the RAF/FAA were the only users of this hybrid F-35B+C variant, their Airships having deemed that a UK aircraft called a Lightning could only have TWO engines, one on top of the other, they decided the -D variants should have their own name with the UK forces to distinguish them from the lesser capabilities of the F-35B Lightning IIs still remaining in service.

[Kit's Rule #2 applies....}
Airships? I've never heard a group of officers being called that before!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on June 19, 2023, 10:42:50 AMAirships? I've never heard a group of officers being called that before!

It's been in common use on here for ages, OGL started using it before I joined the Forum in 2008.

The Thunder's port wing extension is now well under way, and there's been lots of PSR and priming going on with the extended elevators and tailplanes too.

You cannot view this attachment.

Regards
Kit

Jakko

I keep wanting to hit the Like button but failing to find it :(
... I know all this and more ...

PR19_Kit

One of these will do fine, but wait until it's done perhaps.  :thumbsup:

It's got the leading edge glued on now, so the wing extension's complete, just LOTS of PSR to go.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Even with all the PSR its looking  very cool  ;D  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

Nice. Now I know where all the Presto putty would go.  ;) 

Will we see canards? The extended wings make it look a bit tail-heavy (for me)?  :o

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 20, 2023, 01:04:02 AMNice. Now I know where all the Presto putty would go.  ;) 

Will we see canards? The extended wings make it look a bit tail-heavy (for me)?  :o

Canards AND conventional elevators??  The fewer moving surfaces the better for a stealthy jet. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....