'Other' ship models

Started by PR19_Kit, May 29, 2023, 03:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Every year they have a SOCKING great model boat regatta at a lake nr Kettering, Northants, and I've been known to sail some of my models there in the past, but not this year. We did go and spectate however, and it was one of the biggest and best events there ever. At one time there were over 35 models on the lake at the same time, what you can do with present day 24 Ghz radios, eh?

Just a few of the models I noted there.

You cannot view this attachment.

A very vintage yacht, 50 yrs old and restored over many years with modern day radio .

A magnificent 6 ft long model of a 1930 J Class yacht, Sir Tommy Sopwith's Endeavour , sailed by the guy on the opposite bank..

A superb 1/96 scale Type 21 frigate, HMS Active, as it was during the Falklands War.

A LOUD (They all were....most of them anyway) Griffon hovercraft.

Another, equally loud, hovercraft of unknown design.

The Royal Yacht Britannia, a superb 5ft long model that sailed totally silently.

A 1/144 scale model of HMS Formidable, complete with a Seafire and Hellcat air wing aboard.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Part 2, because for some reason I can't post more pics in that post................

One of many lifeboat models, with a Clyde puffer ( I think....) in the background)

For a change a relatively quiet hovercraft model, this time an SRN6 as used on the Southsea-Ryde ferry in years gone by.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kerick

I just hope none of the radios frequencies interfered with each other!
Looks like it was a beautiful day too! Thanks
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on May 29, 2023, 07:39:55 PMI just hope none of the radios frequencies interfered with each other!
Looks like it was a beautiful day too! Thanks
Ken that's the great thing about 2.4gig radio systems..zero clashing..no matter how many are turned on .
It's nothing like the old days with megahertz crystal's being changed cause you've got the same as someone else.
Kit there's some lovely models there and man I'm glad I never got into RC boats..planes were a big enough problem 😀...cars are fine 🙂
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rheged

Thank you, Kit.    I'm turning green with envy!!  There's a lot of very detailed work on show.    I'm glad you are able to share it with us.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw on May 29, 2023, 09:59:01 PMKen that's the great thing about 2.4gig radio systems..zero clashing..no matter how many are turned on .

Indeed so, 2.4 changed the entire radio model scene. In days of yore we all had to check the frequency board over who had what channel and hardly ever saw more than 12 boats afloat at ant one time.

Having said that, I still have 27 m and 40 m radios as well as the 2.4 stuff, it's too much of a faff to haul the old gear out of the model and put new in, not to mention how much it costs. And of course I'm often the ONLY one with a 27 m or 40 m set afloat anyway.  ;D

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Some beautiful models there Kit, thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 30, 2023, 04:21:56 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on May 29, 2023, 09:59:01 PMKen that's the great thing about 2.4gig radio systems..zero clashing..no matter how many are turned on .

Indeed so, 2.4 changed the entire radio model scene. In days of yore we all had to check the frequency board over who had what channel and hardly ever saw more than 12 boats afloat at ant one time.

Having said that, I still have 27 m and 40 m radios as well as the 2.4 stuff, it's too much of a faff to haul the old gear out of the model and put new in, not to mention how much it costs. And of course I'm often the ONLY one with a 27 m or 40 m set afloat anyway.  ;D
😆 😆...oh a story I know all to well ...flying planes and racing cars had the exact same problems.
I ran 27mhz and 29mhz with my cars and 32mhz /40mhz with my planes.
Long gone are the days that I had a little box of crystal's and flags and worrying if I'd lost one and didn't have a matching set 🙃  ;D
Your sorted now mate 👍..now your mhz will rule  ;D
Ya know cost wise it  can be pretty cheap cause alot have the ability to store multiple models all on the one transmitter but you've gotten out of that need by just waiting 😉
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

I think at the last count I had EIGHT transmitters, only one of which has a computer memory for other models.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 30, 2023, 11:09:05 AMI think at the last count I had EIGHT transmitters, only one of which has a computer memory for other models.  ;D
;D
OK that's a good pile 👌
I think ive got similar numbers..ive got 3 Futaba transmitters which were top of the line and a absolute nightmare to program..I had these given to  me..guess why ?   ;D  :lol:
I do also have a Futaba T6 radio with a buggered receiver which I can't afford to replace cause it's one which has a bus controller..not to much of a issue..im getting my kicks from 48th scale plastic 😀

Captain Canada

Wow ! That's alot of neat boats ! Thanks for sharing.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 29, 2023, 03:28:18 PMPart 2, because for some reason I can't post more pics in that post................

One of many lifeboat models, with a Clyde puffer ( I think....) in the background)

That's a Tyne class.  It's been replaced now, largely by the Tamar class. Looking it up it's number, it's the Salcombe lifeboat The Baltic Exchange II.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

That's a very flat lifeboat compared to some of them, the one I had a look at on holiday Bembridge was a Tamar, and was quite big. But the Yarmouth boat towered over everything else, as that was a Severn, a veritable monster of a lifeboat!

Regards
Kit