Rotary-engined ground vehicles

Started by Weaver, May 29, 2023, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Does anyone know of any example of a ground vehicle powered by a rotary engine, that is to say, the kind of spinning engine found on some WWI fighters, not a Wankel rotary?

The only ones I know of are a handful of obscure motorbikes (one called the Megola) which used such an engine inside one of the wheels, and the Adams-Farwell car, which used horizontally mounted 3 or 5 cylinder engines.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on May 29, 2023, 04:08:25 PMDoes anyone know of any example of a ground vehicle powered by a rotary engine, that is to say, the kind of spinning engine found on some WWI fighters, not a Wankel rotary?

The only ones I know of are a handful of obscure motorbikes (one called the Megola) which used such an engine inside one of the wheels, and the Adams-Farwell car, which used horizontally mounted 3 or 5 cylinder engines.

Not that I know of.  I do know a Lemons racing team stuffed a Kinner 5 cylinder radial in a Toyota MR2
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

Sounds like it's time to build a whiff of one!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

killnoizer

In fact I am on that project  :wub:   

Got a dozen rotary engines left over from my builds  :thumbsup:
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

zenrat

Imagine the torque reaction when you blipped the throttle with the car in neutral.   :wacko:

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

Quote from: zenrat on May 30, 2023, 04:08:55 AMImagine the torque reaction when you blipped the throttle with the car in neutral.   :wacko:

With the crankshaft vertical take it to an icy parking lot and rev the throttle to see if it spins in place!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

The sole surviving Adams-Farwell rotary-engined car demonstrated running:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

The exact opposite of Colin Chapman's 'Simplicate and add lightness' philosophy!

'Complicate and ad heaviness'!!!

I've seen that car at the Harrah Museum, but didn't realise what I was looking at as I only looked at the front.  :banghead:  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Leading Observer

Fit it to an afv - didn't some Shermans have a radial engine?
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Rheged

Quote from: Leading Observer on May 30, 2023, 09:12:34 AMFit it to an afv - didn't some Shermans have a radial engine?

Correct!!  Some had a Wright RD 1820  9 cylinder diesel radial  and others a Continental R975-C1 or -C4 9 cylinder radial petrol engine.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Leading Observer on May 30, 2023, 09:12:34 AMFit it to an afv - didn't some Shermans have a radial engine?

Yes, but that's not a rotary, the cylinders stand still.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

A rotary of sorts as the 3-cylinder radial engines, plural, are mounted directly to the non-steering front wheels:
Rohrbach concept

You cannot view this attachment.

jcf

More on the Adams-Farwell at Douglas Self's Museum of RetroTechnology:

Adams-Farwell

killnoizer

Quote from: Rheged on May 30, 2023, 09:26:20 AM

Correct!!  Some had a Wright RD 1820  9 cylinder diesel radial  and others a Continental R975-C1 or -C4 9 cylinder radial petrol engine.

Oh , THAT's a difference I am also ignored . :wub:
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

PR19_Kit

Quote from: jcf on May 30, 2023, 10:35:31 AMA rotary of sorts as the 3-cylinder radial engines, plural, are mounted directly to the non-steering front wheels:

It steers from the rear wheel?  :o  :-\

Be afraid, be VERY afraid! 

Regards
Kit