Demon Aeronavale

Started by Nick, May 31, 2023, 03:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I thought I put a build thread up earlier but it seems not to have stuck.

I have been working on the Emhar F3H Demon in 1/72. I have an idea of putting French markings on it if I can find them.

It's taken a lot of sanding and realignment. Not a terrible fit but lacking in certain areas. Things like the wings not fitting into the fuselage slots so you sand them to fit. When they do go in the angle is very wrong and needs a lot of holding in place and later filling.
The cockpit is a nice design as you build the cockpit area first and then slot it into the main fuselage.

Shouldn't really complain as I only paid £3 for it years ago.  ;D

I have also been perusing the Hasegawa F11F Tiger. Nice little kit, goes together well, just needs a new identity and a decent backstory. Again, France is a possibility.

PR19_Kit

Sounds like a standard Emhar kit to me.  ;D

I've got one of their Demons, but have yet to examine it, could be a good idea.....

Doing one in French markings sounds like a work of genius, go for it!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

I'm liking the sound of this   ;D
Annoyingly my Tigercat came today..to late now for this GB ..bugger it .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw on May 31, 2023, 09:55:48 PMI'm liking the sound of this   ;D

You've got another two weeks... :mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on May 31, 2023, 03:11:10 PMI have also been perusing the Hasegawa F11F Tiger. Nice little kit, goes together well, just needs a new identity and a decent backstory. Again, France is a possibility.

Yup nice little kit.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Quote from: zenrat on June 01, 2023, 04:30:00 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on May 31, 2023, 09:55:48 PMI'm liking the sound of this   ;D

You've got another two weeks... :mellow:
;D  ;D ..still not sure that's long enough Fred ..I think it took damn near a month with that B58 thingy and this one I would not want to rush ..for the Re-engined GB tho  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

Modeldecal used to do French markings with separate anchors for naval aircraft, no idea if any are available or if anyone else does a similar decal set.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Nick

Quote from: Gondor on June 02, 2023, 01:21:08 AMModeldecal used to do French markings with separate anchors for naval aircraft, no idea if any are available or if anyone else does a similar decal set.

Gondor

Thanks for that, I will look deeper at my markings folder. I do have some for an E-2C and I think there's an old Vampire/Mistral kit in the stash that may have French markings for the period.

I did find some nice A-4 RNZAF markings that could go nicely on the Tiger.

Gondor

Just remembered Model Art Decal System who may not have a sheet of Naval marking, but they do have lots of sheets with French Naval aircraft on them.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Nick

For anyone building the Emhar Demon, don't just fill the radar nose with shot. Put a block of lead somewhere in the cockpit area. This thing is a tail sitter.

Aeronavale markings are a pain. The roundel is fine, it's the sodding anchor that goes on top that has a habit of shrinking up and going to pieces.

I am 95% done, just want to put the colours on the tail and find some generic markings to fill out the blank canvas a bit. Pylons and weapons will have to wait. This is probably the first jet I've left the canopy open on.

Nick

Photos so far.

First one was this morning with the basic grey over white scheme.
You cannot view this attachment.

Second one is with some decals on, the canopy attached and sitting on all three wheels.
You cannot view this attachment.

NARSES2

Looks very neat in that scheme Nick
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Nick

Now, there were no usable decals in the box so I only paid £3 for the kit. That means I've been thru my stash to find some decals to fill out the empty spaces. The little bits like Ejector Seat triangles and Lift Here stuff and serial numbers are easy.
The most obvious part is the intake warnings which I am taking from a Mitsubishi T-2 kit. Don't look too closely at the Japanese writing  ;D

I want to put MARINE or Aeronavale on the side too if I can find any.

Final part for this stage will be a gloss varnish coat.

I can look at adding the pylons and weapons later on. Need to consider using the US weapons in the kit or finding some French missiles and bombs.