Main Menu

General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, June 02, 2023, 06:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 10, 2023, 05:26:22 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 10, 2023, 05:14:21 AMFinding both the Jag and the engine in 1/25 would be the challenge.
I like that it has portholes on the front wings like a real Buick.

Has anyone EVER done an XJ6 in 1/25? Or indeed almost any Jag, apart from the Mk 2 and all the racing ones. Oh, and the E-type of course.

Didn't AMT do a kit with a straight 8 Buick included some time back? My memory says it was a rather basic hot rod kits of some sort.

One of the Japanese makers did an XJS.  Hasegawa or Aoshima IIRC.  XJ6 would be nice though.

I have no memories of a straight eight Buick in 1/25 other than vague naggings about a resin kit.  Lovely engine though.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Posted this but it didn't go through.  :unsure: Yes, Hasegawa did an XJ-S.  Revell currently have their old XKSS in a double pack with their E Type.  Italeri and Tamiya did the XJ220.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

But 'normal' saloons (sedans....) don't get a look in. Sad really as most of the wide XJ range were really good looking cars.

I'd love a kit of a 1/25 XF Sportbrake while they're at it too.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

It's annoying that the manufacturers don't make cars like the XJ6 or XJ12 as I've always wanted to pro street one of those.
I did pro street the Hasegawa XJS and it looked ok but not quite right if ya know what I mean.
The shape of the twin head light XJ would look good  as I've seen a couple of blown XJ6s  and they looked good.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

jcf

Oddly enough the XJ sedan is fairly rare even in the diecast world, a few in 1/18th, more in
1/43rd, one in 1/32nd (a pullback toy) but bupkis in 1/24th.  

Hasegawa has released multiple versions of their XJ-S, including the cabriolet, and Tamiya
has two versions of the Mk.II, standard passenger saloon and tintop racer.

The various Jaguars, primarily E-Types, from Hasegawa, Tamiya, Revell (current Revell Co.),
Heller, Gunze Sangyo and Italeri are 1/24th scale rather than 1/25th.

zenrat

Tom Walkinshaw qualifying at the Bathurst 1000 1985 in a V12 XJS.  After 1:25 it's in-car footage coming down the Mountain. 
No chicane in Conrod Straight in those days.
Turn it up.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

"Here's one Englishman who's not afraid of this Aussie mountain......'

That would have got the commentator a bunch of fives in the teeth! Tom Walkinshaw was a SCOTSMAN and never let you forget it either!  :o

He was one heck of a driver and a great team manager, but a decidedly dubious businessman, and died owing my last employers a LOT of money!

Fab vid though Fred, thanks for the link. And I had the volume up to 11.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McColm

There aren't that many plastic model kits of the Jaguar the Mk2 and the racing equivalent,  XJ220, E-Type, or XJ-S family in 1/24 or 1/25 scale.
I have a Politoys/Polistil 1/25 made in Italy Jaguar XJ 4.2 saloon die-cast Police Car; the bonnet/hood opens,  both front doors and the trunk/boot. There's a detailed engine bay .
You could try using the slot car or resin route, you could be lucky with a die-cast Corgi or Dinky car.

No box, not in mint condition. The decals are beginning to lift,rear bumper is pitted and the rear number plate is missing on the boot/trunk front edge.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Steel Penguin on June 09, 2023, 12:41:31 PMbecause i haven't done one, and am curious how it goes for me?

Same here. And, personally, I like to see how different modelers interpret the same topic individually.

kerick

How about an upgraded Iowa class BB converted to nuke power?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

I created a topic back in 2021 with links to a couple of pages with US automobile engine dimensions for swaps,
one page is all V-8s - plus Allison and Merlin, the other has I-4, 1-6 and V-6 as well as V-8s. No I-8 dimensions.

American V-8 Engine Dimensions

jcf

Approximate dimensions for a 1937 Buick 320 in3 I-8:

Oil Pan
Length 35 inches
Width 10 inches
Depth 5.5 inches

Block
Length 36 inches
Width 12 inches
Depth 15 inches
(Which must be across the flywheel housing, accessory drive/engine mount parts of the
casting, as photos show the actual cylinder "block" to be not much wider than the head).

Head
Length 36 inches
Width 6 inches
Depth 4 inches

Overall
Length 36 inches
Width 12 inches
Depth 24.5 inches

PR19_Kit

That's a big 'ole motor there!  :o

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 13, 2023, 12:31:55 PMThat's a big 'ole motor there!  :o

and you'd need a big 'ole under the bonnet to fit it in.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

That ain't nuttin', how about an I-16 built using two I-8s.
;D

C-16 Streamliner

You cannot view this attachment.