Main Menu

General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, June 02, 2023, 06:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Quote from: Rheged on June 16, 2023, 07:22:29 AMOne unexpected "Re-engine it"  is the real world landing craft  that made landfall on the Egyptian coast in 1941.  Full story here:-   https://www.royalmarineshistory.com/post/2017/12/27/sea-borne-escape-from-crete-in-a-damaged-landing-craft-royalmarines-commando

Blankets sewn together with bootlaces seems to meet the criteria for "re-engining it "

Similarly, USS R-14 might qualify as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_R-14
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

I find that the easiest way to accurately scale the volume is by using the bore and stroke
dimensions multiplied by the scaling factor, those results are then used to calculate the
volume of a single cylinder. That number is multiplied by the number of cylinders to give
the total displacement.

Staying with the 351: bore 4"; stroke 3.5"; scaling factor 1.75 (35/20).

Bore: 4" X 1.75 = 7". Stroke: 3.5" X 1.75 = 6.125"

Formula for volume of a cylinder is the area of the bore (pi x r2) times the length of the
cylinder, the stroke in the case of a piston engine cylinder.

The radius of the bore is 3.5"; (pi X 3.52) X 6.125" = ~ 235.72 in3 per cylinder,
235.72 X 8 = 1,885.76 in3 total displacement, approximately 31 litres.

Going the other way, from 1/35 to 1/20, gives a displacement of ~65 in3.

Wardukw

Quote from: jcf on June 16, 2023, 11:36:58 PMI find that the easiest way to accurately scale the volume is by using the bore and stroke
dimensions multiplied by the scaling factor, those results are then used to calculate the
volume of a single cylinder. That number is multiplied by the number of cylinders to give
the total displacement.

Formula for volume of a cylinder is the area of the bore (pi x r2) times the length of the

The radius of the bore is 3.5"; (pi X 3.52) X 6.125" = ~ 235.72 in3 per cylinder,
235.72 X 8 = 1,885.76 in3 total displacement, approximately 31 litres.

Going the other way, from 1/35 to 1/20, gives a displacement of ~65 in3.
Jon I'm 6'2 and I feel to short for how far above my head this is   ;D
Guaranteed there will be chaps here which will understand this 😀
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on June 16, 2023, 05:23:35 AMYes.  It's the second version.  I have to cube stuff as its volume.

Thanks mate.

:thumbsup:

Yup. Should be around 5.35 times the original size/volume (=35/20³); "Doubling" the scale would mean that the volume increases by eight!

zenrat

Quote from: jcf on June 16, 2023, 11:36:58 PMI find that the easiest way to accurately scale the volume is by using the bore and stroke
the total displacement.

235.72 X 8 = 1,885.76 in3 total displacement.

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 16, 2023, 05:05:13 AMAlternately, you could divide the original capacity by 203 & multiply the result by 353, which equates to multiplying the original capacity by 5.36 (rounded to 2 decimal places).

In the original version above a 351ci V8 in 1/20 would become a 614.25ci V8 in 1/35

Whereas in the version immediately above that same 351ci V8 would become a 1,881.36ci V8 in 1/35

The difference is that the first equation reduces the capacity & then expands it in only one dimension, while the second equation reduces the capacity then expands it in three dimensions (& is, probably, far more accurate).

As both methods give the same result I think what Jon did was provide the proof for Womby's equation.

Anyhoo, if I use the sole 1/20 V8 in the stash I multiply by 5.36 to get the capacity in 1/35 scale. If I use one of the many 1/25 V8s I multiply by 2.74.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 14, 2023, 10:14:49 AMOr 'There ain't no substitute for cubic inches'.............  ;D

"No replacement for displacement" 

I thought no math would be involved here!   Too early in the morning for math.  ha
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

zenrat

Injection is nice but i'd rather be blown...

;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 17, 2023, 05:44:52 AMInjection is nice but i'd rather be blown...

;)

That has just got you referred to higher authorities and if you hear the thunder of hooves outside your residence or workplace I tried my best  :banghead:  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: zenrat on June 17, 2023, 05:44:52 AMInjection is nice but i'd rather be blown...

;)

Reminds me of a cheeky 8 Sqn anti-Nimrod AEW zap prevalent during their Shackleton days
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Rheged

Quote from: kitbasher on June 17, 2023, 07:27:34 AM

;)

Reminds me of a cheeky 8 Sqn anti-Nimrod AEW zap prevalent during their Shackleton days
I was thinking of exactly the same thing!!   But we'd better say no more or  we will rate another entry in The Book
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

ANOTHER entry? Chris will fill the ENTIRE book if you go on like that!!!!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

There's a library, all indexed and cross-referenced...
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Wardukw

;)
Does somebody need to get all technical here to save Fred from another entry in Chris's book ?
Even tho injection is nice and being blown is also very nice it's when you combine em ...ahh now that's pure harmony  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on June 17, 2023, 08:55:28 AMThere's a library, all indexed and cross-referenced...

And it's still on paper and in Latin  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 18, 2023, 12:15:11 AM
Quote from: Mossie on June 17, 2023, 08:55:28 AMThere's a library, all indexed and cross-referenced...

And it's still on paper and in Latin  ;)
Don't tell me you can read Latin  Chris ???  :o