Lavochkin Aeroplane 165

Started by NARSES2, June 10, 2023, 05:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Lavochkin Aeroplane 165

Well here's what I'm starting with

2023 One Week Build. Lavochkin Aircraft 165 aka Me 1106 B-1

The Box

So the plane is to turn it into a porotype of the final pod and boom style single seat fighter to emerge from the Lavochkin Bureau in the late 40's, early 50's.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Apologies, but I forgot to take a photo of the sprues  :-\

Anyway here's progress so far on the internals. Got this far yesterday and am out most of today so very little progress will be made until tomorrow and then I'm out most of the week, so this is looking unlikely. However I will finish her next week if not this.

Photo shows why I don't tend to use my phone for taking them, especially when I'm a bit tired  :-\

You cannot view this attachment.

Among the spare parts on the sprues (2 of them) is an arrestor hook, so I looked and they do a carrier based version  :o

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

I know it isn't - but it looks so much like the Huma Me 1106. Here's my Huma build:

Just remember to put a lot of weight in the nose.

NARSES2

I've put about as much weight as I can get in the nose, but I've a feeling it won't be enough  :angel:

frank2056

One trick is to leave the nose gear off until the very end and if it's still tail heavy, trim the nose gear slightly until it balances. That's what I did with my Huma HS132 -it's so balanced that  I unintentionally made an earthquake detector.

NARSES2

Quote from: frank2056 on June 12, 2023, 08:47:48 AMOne trick is to leave the nose gear off until the very end and if it's still tail heavy, trim the nose gear slightly until it balances. That's what I did with my Huma HS132 -it's so balanced that  I unintentionally made an earthquake detector.

Oddly I've got the Huma Hs 132 in the "ready to be started" pile at the moment. I liked Huma, shame they are no longer being produced. Don't you live near the San Andreas Fault ? An earthquake detector would be quite handy  ;)

Meanwhile I have a airframe, photo later, and she is primed. The kit builds surprisingly well. The wings and butterfly tails for instance are traditional tab and slot, I was frightened they'd be butt joints, and after trimming the mould join lines are almost a perfect fit. Just needed some PPP.

Sorely tempted to get another as a rather "wicked" thought came to me yesterday for a naval version  :angel:

NARSES2

Well here's the photo as promised. I think it shows off the fact that she is now a single seater. I now find myself quite attracted to this little ugly duckling of an aircraft, whence the pronoun "she"  ;D

You cannot view this attachment.

NARSES2

Unlikely I'll get much farther with this as I'm out and about for most of the remaining GB length, but we shall see. To be honest I'm interested to see how far I can get with a single kit in the time allotted rather than work on the usual 3 or 4.

frank2056

That looks like a nice, clean build! The wings look interesting and very different from the Huma wings.

The San Andreas fault cuts through most of California. The Hs-132 responds to mild (3.0- 3.5) earthquakes. It survived the big 1994 Northridge earthquake.

loupgarou

Interesting shape. With that rear-positioned cockpit would look well also as a racer.
Your build is very neat.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: frank2056 on June 13, 2023, 07:57:34 AMThe San Andreas fault cuts through most of California. The Hs-132 responds to mild (3.0- 3.5) earthquakes. It survived the big 1994 Northridge earthquake.

;D  :thumbsup:

Quote from: loupgarou on June 13, 2023, 10:34:48 AMYour build is very neat.

Much more to do with the kit then me. It's quite simple and a very good fit.

NARSES2

Quote from: frank2056 on June 13, 2023, 07:57:34 AMThe wings look interesting and very different from the Huma wings.

Yup it's supposedly one of the later iterations of the design. The Huma kit is also of the single seater whereas this is a twin. To be honest I'm really not sure if it actually existed even on paper.  ;D  I need to find my copy of Luftwaffe Secret Projects once I've finished it. Classic "Napkinwaffe" I think  ;D

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Wooksta!

Huma's Hs 132 is a very nice kit, but it's based on the old Airmodel vac form and has a circular fuselage cross section, when it should be more triangular.  All the drawings were captured by the Russians, and everything was based on a fake photo of the first prototype, which was never finished.

I did have the Huma kit of the P.1106 and it's AFAIK a genuine project.  I have the RS resin kit from the mid 90s, which is a lot smaller.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 13, 2023, 12:03:49 AMOddly I've got the Huma Hs 132 in the "ready to be started" pile at the moment. Sorely tempted to get another as a rather "wicked" thought came to me yesterday for a naval version  :angel:

I'd like to see that built!   I may even attempt to "find"   Eric Brown's Enemy Aircraft Appraisal Report...........he'd probably  be the one who was tasked with assessing the Kreigsmarine variant.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet