Lavochkin Aeroplane 165

Started by NARSES2, June 10, 2023, 05:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulcan7

That looks very cool indeed  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

NARSES2

Thank you. Should see some paint this week as I finally sorted a transition out between the original fuselage and the "new" rear fuselage out. Well ood enough for Government work anyway.

Need to check my Soviet Secret Projects out to see where Lavochkin were placing their pitots during this time.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Started to get some paint on this after a slight setback with paint/thinners chemistry. All over one colour so should be relatively easy  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

good model of a rare subject (even on German version) :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Whilst painting the undersides I realised I hadn't filled/sanded the cannon troughs/barrels. I doubt a one off prototype would have had them so I've filled them today.

NARSES2

Main paintwork is just about done and has reminded me just how nice White Ensign Colourcoats are  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

I know ..I know ...patience and all that  ;D  😉
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw on July 20, 2023, 11:03:14 AMI know ..I know ...patience and all that  ;D  😉

Good lad  ;)

Wardukw

😁😁😁
I know it will be well worth waiting for  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Right transfers are on and I've fabricated a pitot for her.  So she's nearly there.  :thumbsup:

On the downside I had right "fun" fitting the undercarriage doors. They are very simple and an easy butt fit, but I think I'd pushed my luck today when it came to bench time and had gone passed my bodies ability to get these things done, especially those requiring any form of hand/eye co-ordination.  :-\  Still lesson learned.....again  :angel:

I might finish this some time this week, but not certain as I've a few things in the diary.

NARSES2

Just needs her matt coat and then photos, so hopefully next week.

Wardukw

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:..can't wait..but I will  :wub:   ;D

NARSES2

Finally got this finished.

Lavockin Aircraft 165 Prototype

The last and perhaps most radical development of Lavockin's series of "Tadpole" jets the La 165 was the last of the line to use the pod and boom method of construction. (In reality this was the La 160) The 165 also used a "v" tail, drooped wingtips and a rear placed cockpit. It was heavily influenced by drawings and calculations made by Messerschmitt for their 1106 series of projects. It was also the last La type to use a German Jumo 004 engine and made its first flight on 1st September 1947. It showed no great advantage over the La 160 however and was therefore relegated to being used as a research aircraft particularly looking into the advantages conferred by swept wing technology.

As for the model ? I started with the AZ Me 1106 B-1 and the first and sole major task was to convert it into a single seater. That achieved it was a relatively simple and easy build. It's painted overall in Soviet VVS ALG-5 Grey Metal Primer from the White Ensign Colour Coats range which performed excellently. The few markings there are came from the spares box.

Overall, I enjoyed this build. The base kit, whilst simple, goes together very well. Would I build another ? Certainly, particularly the naval version (there's an arrestor hook along with some radar aerials for the night fighter version and optional armament on the sprues marked as not for use)

63cpe

Swooosch! what a great concept! well done!

David aka 63cpe

Wardukw

That is extremely freakin cool 👍 😍
A full ten points matey 😊