Curtiss P-40B of the Aeronáutica Militar de Portugal - B.A. Nº1 Sintra -1943

Started by DogfighterZen, June 11, 2023, 04:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Well, going by my recent finished builds ratio, this will probably get finished some time around next month... of 2024... :rolleyes:
Anyway, i'll give it a shot with one of the simplest ideas and kit that i can come up with so let's see if this is going to go as smooth as i'm hoping.

The kit as can be seen in the obligatory pic of the box and contents to open the hostilities....

The idea is pretty obvious by the title of the thread but there is a less obvious thought behind the scenes. The Portuguese interned a couple of U.S. army air corps P-38F fighters that ran low on fuel and had to land in Portela airport in Lisbon on November 15th, 1942. The aircraft were on route to North Africa and were instead, kept by the Portuguese. One of the pilots managed to play a good trick on the Portuguese authorities that were called to arrest both planes and pilots, escaping with one of the planes right under their noses... ;D
Anyway, let's imagine that with those two P-38s were a few other aircraft that also had to land and whose pilots weren't as willing to or weren't able to try to escape... :mellow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

Some progress has been made...

Used a Yahu products instrument panel for the first time and Chris, i am a fan of these from now on. :thumbsup:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 11, 2023, 06:32:45 PMUsed a Yahu products instrument panel for the first time and Chris, i am a fan of these from now on. :thumbsup:

They are so easy to use aren't they  :thumbsup:

I'll go and claim my commission now  ;)  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 12, 2023, 05:55:07 AMThey are so easy to use aren't they  :thumbsup:

I'll go and claim my commission now  ;)  ;D

Sure are! Just a drop of CA glue and you're good to go!  :mellow:
They should increase the range for modern jet fighters, would make them even more popular.

Today i did a bit of weathering on the cockpit with some drybrushed aluminium and then dabbed a dark brown wash to bring out the detail a bit more and make the pit look well used.

That done, took a bit of Tamiya 2mm masking tape and painted it to represent the seat belts... not perfect but they do the trick. It's actually one of my rare pilotless plane builds. I always prefer to have a pilot figure in the pit but i'm keeping this build as simple as can be and i wanna save the pilot for another build.

Time to assemble the fuselage and wings... :mellow:

DogfighterZen

Starting to take shape... :mellow:

The rudder and elevators are just dry fitted but a bit of seam work will be required on the wing roots and cowling as expected but it's nothing too bad so shouldn't take long...

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

Another failed GB for me...  got as far as masking the canopy... :banghead:
Can one of the mods move this thread over to the current projects section, please?
TIA

Old Wombat

I wouldn't worry too much, mate. :thumbsup:

I think I'm on a 1 in 3 or, maybe, 2 in 5 GB completion average. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 20, 2023, 11:30:35 PMAnother failed GB for me...  got as far as masking the canopy... :banghead:
Can one of the mods move this thread over to the current projects section, please?
TIA

Will do, it can keep mine company  :rolleyes:

Moved  :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

Thanks, Chris.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 21, 2023, 04:34:01 AMI wouldn't worry too much, mate. :thumbsup:

I think I'm on a 1 in 3 or, maybe, 2 in 5 GB completion average. ;D

Guy, i couldn't be worse... 0 completions in 5 entries... :banghead:
Anyway, i'll finish this one too, just going to take a a bit longer than predicted... Canopy is masked so hopefully i'll be moving it to the paint shop soon.

Wardukw

Zen mate this is why I'll never join the one week build..freakin life keeps getting in the way .
Yesterday was a perfect example..went to Auckland..bout 140 kms away from me ..to replace both the headlights in my sister's car..got to AK with no problems..a good drive..stopped at my fav hobby store first..then off to my sis..did her car...went had lunch with me mum..then headed home at 3pm..dew to a crash on our pathetic excuse of a motorway it took 2.5 hrs to travel about  30kms..got home at 7pm...real life is bloody annoying mate.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Vulcan7

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

2996 Victor

Great work on this P-40. The Airfix kit is a nice build.

The cockpit looks fab and I've got to agree about the Yahu instrument panels - quick and easy and look good.

Are you using AM decals for the Cruz de Cristo markings?

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise