Curtiss P-40B of the Aeronáutica Militar de Portugal - B.A. Nº1 Sintra -1943

Started by DogfighterZen, June 11, 2023, 04:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Thanks, guys!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Wardukw on June 21, 2023, 12:18:23 PMZen mate this is why I'll never join the one week build..freakin life keeps getting in the way .
Yesterday was a perfect example..went to Auckland..bout 140 kms away from me ..to replace both the headlights in my sister's car..got to AK with no problems..a good drive..stopped at my fav hobby store first..then off to my sis..did her car...went had lunch with me mum..then headed home at 3pm..dew to a crash on our pathetic excuse of a motorway it took 2.5 hrs to travel about  30kms..got home at 7pm...real life is bloody annoying mate.

Sure is... i guess i can't complain too much but it is annoying.... :rolleyes:

Quote from: 2996 Victor on June 25, 2023, 02:38:28 AMGreat work on this P-40. The Airfix kit is a nice build.

The cockpit looks fab and I've got to agree about the Yahu instrument panels - quick and easy and look good.

Are you using AM decals for the Cruz de Cristo markings?

Cheers,
Mark

Mark, yep, i'm using a mix of Santa Cruz and Carpena decals, with the stencils from the original sheet.
The kit isn't  bad, especially for the price. It needs some work on some seams but nothing serious so i had fun.  :mellow:

Canopy has been totally masked and it's ready for some paint.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

As for plans yours is still gonna look great..so keep going at it matey 👍    ;D
I was planning on going to town today to buy new gumboots..3 large slips on your road changed that .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

2996 Victor

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 25, 2023, 05:24:05 PMMark, yep, i'm using a mix of Santa Cruz and Carpena decals, with the stencils from the original sheet.
Thanks :thumbsup: I need some Portuguese markings for a Breda Ba.65 I'm about to start, but pre-War/Wartime shape Cruz de Cristo are quite hard to find. Maybe Mohawk or Hurricane ones will work.

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 25, 2023, 05:24:05 PMThe kit isn't  bad, especially for the price. It needs some work on some seams but nothing serious so i had fun.  :mellow:
Its quite a nice kit. I (mostly) built one a couple of years ago but never finished it. Perhaps I should! The only real fit issue I had was the top of the cowling to the rest of the nose. I got it as far as decals but there its languished.....

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Wardukw on June 25, 2023, 05:36:40 PMI was planning on going to town today to buy new gumboots..3 large slips on your road changed that .

Did that mean more bench time? If so, that wasn't so bad... ;)

Quote from: 2996 Victor on June 26, 2023, 12:37:04 AMThanks :thumbsup: I need some Portuguese markings for a Breda Ba.65 I'm about to start, but pre-War/Wartime shape Cruz de Cristo are quite hard to find. Maybe Mohawk or Hurricane ones will work.

Yes, i believe the Hurricane's markings can work but if you have a hard time finding suitable markings, let me know. I don't have the Portuguese Breda's specific markings cause it's not my type of aircraft but i may be able to help. :mellow:

Quote from: 2996 Victor on June 26, 2023, 12:37:04 AMIts quite a nice kit. I (mostly) built one a couple of years ago but never finished it. Perhaps I should! The only real fit issue I had was the top of the cowling to the rest of the nose. I got it as far as decals but there its languished.....

Cheers,
Mark

I had to do some sanding on the mating surfaces of both the fuselage and the top cowling and also on the seam of the chin intake.
Yes, you should finish yours, it's looking very good!  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

2996 Victor

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 26, 2023, 11:40:36 AMYes, i believe the Hurricane's markings can work but if you have a hard time finding suitable markings, let me know. I don't have the Portuguese Breda's specific markings cause it's not my type of aircraft but i may be able to help.
That's brilliant, thanks :thumbsup: I'll see what I can turn up - there are a couple of Carpena sets on eBay at the moment, and I'd like to do a Portuguese Hurricane and Mohawk at some point anyway, so if I took a punt and weren't suitable, they wouldn't be wasted :laugh:

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 26, 2023, 11:40:36 AMI had to do some sanding on the mating surfaces of both the fuselage and the top cowling and also on the seam of the chin intake.
Yes, you should finish yours, it's looking very good!
Maybe I will - it doesn't need a whole lot - u/c doors, transparencies, radio mast, I think that's about it.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

DogfighterZen

Ok, so this one has been put on hold as i lost all interest in the build at the moment... moving on to other builds i really wanna get done. May come back to this one someday... or not.

NARSES2

Been in the same place a few times. It's pointless pushing on with  a subject when you feel like that, after all it's a hobby.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

I'd like you to come back to it, at some stage, as the P-40 is right up there on my list of favourite aircraft of WW2. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 27, 2023, 10:04:34 AMI'd like you to come back to it, at some stage, as the P-40 is right up there on my list of favourite aircraft of WW2. :thumbsup:

I've got a nice simple whiff of one in my next trio  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 27, 2023, 01:14:02 AMBeen in the same place a few times. It's pointless pushing on with  a subject when you feel like that, after all it's a hobby.

Oh, I've quite a few 'shelf queens' that need finishing, but...

You cannot view this attachment.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 27, 2023, 01:14:02 AMBeen in the same place a few times. It's pointless pushing on with  a subject when you feel like that, after all it's a hobby.

It's something that i've only done with a couple of real world F-16s that i started to build as real world PoAF birds but that was because i wanted to build the 2nd F-16w and i'm glad i did it or else, the F-16w would've even taken longer to be finished. :rolleyes:
But you're totally correct, it's a hobby and if we're not feeling it, there's no point of doing something just because...

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 27, 2023, 10:04:34 AMI'd like you to come back to it, at some stage, as the P-40 is right up there on my list of favourite aircraft of WW2. :thumbsup:

Sorry to disappoint you, Guy. I do like the P-40 but i lost interest in the build for several reasons.
And i do wanna finish it at some point, i just don't know when...

Quote from: kitbasher on July 28, 2023, 09:56:21 AM

Oh, I've quite a few 'shelf queens' that need finishing, but...

You cannot view this attachment.

;D
I feel weird because there's no kit on my bench right now... nothing!  :o
I do have the "Next in line" pile beside me and i know what i want to build, but work has been killing me lately so i've been so tired that i haven't had the energy to get something started... :banghead:

The issue was that, the fact that i started the P-40 only because i thought it would be a good choice for the one week GB but real life got in the way once again and i didn't even get to painting before the end of the GB so, that objective was scratched.
That happened when i already had been planning for a few months to start a Kinetic 1/48 Viper after finishing the F-16W build but went against that plan and started the P-40 instead.
That mixed with the lack of energy after a day's work and the kit's issues and ended up sapping the mojo once again... :banghead: