Hovercraft Tank - Finished

Started by buzzbomb, June 11, 2023, 08:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Right up the top of the "Totally impractical List" might be a Hovercraft Tank... so lets build one anyway.
I started this build a few weeks back for the GB over on BTS.

Whilst looking for inspiration an old Sci Fi build of mine from many years ago sparked my interest in perhaps another Sci Fi Hovercraft
This is loosely based on the Dragon APC from the Star Fist books

So starting with another relic from the past.. a old Tamiya T-62 Build and the Poly Conduit I used as a basis for the skirts

Bit of demolition on the T-62 and test fit Hmmmmm  not really working

What about a mix and match with an even older Panther Hull ?

Decided I could probably work with this better, so use some filler to pad out the tube and tinker with layout. Used a 3D printed intake trunk as nothing in my spares box really worked

buzzbomb

So to get up to date... some more progress shots

This time, not to be lazy, cut out the pipe to look a bit more like Hovercraft Skirts

Some 3D printed fans for Thrusters

Playing around with Turret layout and the intake trunk.

More 3D printer work for Skirt Air Dam fans

Bits and bobs around the hull, ditched the original missile launcher idea and went a bit sleaker Dome of Damage type business, plus some armoured Skirt Skirts.

There ya go.. up to date ;)

Dizzyfugu

Cool, I like that!  :thumbsup:  Panther hull was the right choice, IMHO.

Wardukw

Agreed 👍
The Panther has the right shape..liking this Buzzy  ;D  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

:thumbsup:

I used conduit on my Hover car.
Hammerbarn can be a good source of raw materials.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

A great Whiff, just totally impractical in the RW.  ;D

Imagine the complexity of the gun aiming computer software to deal with the almost random movements of the hull, they'd need a trailer just for the hard drive!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Vulcan7

looking really cool & great idea  :mellow:  :mellow:  :tornado:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Wardukw

The Steve Martin comedy Sgt Bilko shows how much fun trying to get a hover tank to work is  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Steel Penguin

high energy lasers   a  setting to act as a pointer, then fully press the trigger and " bang"  plasma along the beam and 1 mole of the target becomes 24 L of gas ( for example 18g of water becomes 24L of steam) and at most palnetry ranges its fast enough to be instant  :thumbsup:
im channelling my Traveller  design stuff thing again arnt i  :banghead:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

Quote from: Steel Penguin on June 12, 2023, 02:10:18 PMim channelling my Traveller  design stuff thing again arnt i  :banghead:

Yes  ;D

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Good project Buzzbomb: that really looks the part.

I used to use Panthers and Jagdpanthers as sci-fi vehicles back in the day because there was little modern stuff around then, and they were one of the few WWII vehicles with the right kind of lines.

Quote from: Steel Penguin on June 12, 2023, 02:10:18 PMhigh energy lasers   a  setting to act as a pointer, then fully press the trigger and " bang"  plasma along the beam and 1 mole of the target becomes 24 L of gas ( for example 18g of water becomes 24L of steam) and at most palnetry ranges its fast enough to be instant  :thumbsup:
im channelling my Traveller  design stuff thing again arnt i  :banghead:

And I'm here for it... ;D

IIRC, District 9 is the ONLY film that's ever thought through the physics implications of vaporising someone, i.e. their volume expands rapidly, which is the functional equivalent of an explosion, and probably not at all good for the shooter in a confined space.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

I'm thinking about a hover tank with ERA.  It's hit, the ERA goes off, and the whole thing moves rapidly sideways.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on June 13, 2023, 03:08:59 AMI'm thinking about a hover tank with ERA.  It's hit, the ERA goes off, and the whole thing moves rapidly sideways.

Making it much more difficult for the enemy to achieve a hit with a follow-up shot. ;D  ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

buzzbomb

Bit of filler here and there.. or perhaps a lot

Sanded down and then a quick primer coat

All of sudden it is rather chunky

Quote from: Steel Penguin on June 12, 2023, 02:10:18 PMim channelling my Traveller  design stuff thing again arnt i

As am I.. as am I.
Recent "rediscovery" of a box of the very thing