Main Menu

Republic P-47T Turbobolt

Started by mat, June 14, 2023, 12:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat

Republic P-47 TJ Solution-3 Turbobolt

In 1944 Republics Aviations chief designer, Alexander Kartveli, began the work of converting the P-47 into a jet fighter. At first it seemed to be an good idea, as the P-47 fuselage had a lot of room for installing a jet engine. But not enough room for all the fuel needed for a thirsty jet engine. So the design team instead started from scratch and created the F-84.

You cannot view this attachment.

But what if?

On 11th september 1944 the USAAF released General Operational Requirements for a jet powered day fighter with a top speed of 970 km/h.

Republic Aviation immediately offered a jet version of the P-47. A version which for some time had been on the minds of their chief designer, Alexander Kartveli. Top brass of USAAF were excited - most of all because this was not a completely new aircraft and therefore offered speedy and cheap development.

The prototype, XP-47T, of what were now named "Turbobolt" made its first flight 8th june 1945. And a contract for 20 YP-47Ts and 100 P-47Ts followed within a few days.

But the short range of the P-47T did not go well with the need for long range planes for the invasion of Japan, Operation Downfall, the first fase of which (Operation Olympic) started in november 1945, so the YP-47Ts all ended up in various research centers, and the P-47Ts lingered for almost a year on the tarmac of the Republic factory in Evansville, Indiana, were a production line for the Turbobolt had been established.

Then in late 1947 a customer emerged. Fuerza Aérea Mexicana, had been operating P-47Ds in the Philippines with good results and would like to step into the jet age. So the Turbobolt seemed to be a logical step to the future. For the symbolic payment of 1 USD and 50 bottles of prime quality tequila the whole lot where handed over to the mexicans.

The first mexican unit to be equipped with the new planes were Escuadrón Aéreo de Pelea 202 at Santa Gertrudis Air Force Base, Saucillo, Chihuahua. Two more units followed (E.A.P. 204 and 205) during the next year.

The P-47Ts served in mexican air force in ever diminishing numbers until the last eight were taken out of service in april 1956.

My conversion will be based on a 1/72 Revell P-47M and will presumably involve lots of plasticcard, putty, hard work and occasional cursing.

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

mat

Parts cut from the sprues and the first paint job done.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Wardukw

I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

mat

Cockpitt in place. It's still just another P-47M.

Wardukw

I've got the Hasegawa P-47M and a P-47 D ..both in 48th ..im going to turn the D into a M and neither will have a cockpit ..so into the parts pile they go .

mat

Here comes the first step in the conversion. This thick piece of plasticcard will be part of the new bottom line of the fuselage. I hope  :-\

perttime

Oh?
But...
If that is the bottom of the fuselage, where is the intake and ducting for the jet engine?

mat

Quote from: perttime on July 03, 2023, 08:54:38 PMOh?
But...
If that is the bottom of the fuselage, where is the intake and ducting for the jet engine?

Out front. Just wait and see. I'll fit it in - somehow.

mat

Fuselage assambled and it still loks like a P-47M.

But now it dont. The P-47M have lost original bottom of its fuselage to make way for the new bottom line and the jet exhaust.

thundereagle1997

We wish it had the landing gear from an A-4 Skyhawk.

mat

The Turbobolt will be a tailsitter. Even with the A-4 undercarriage  ;D

mat

Pieces of plasticcard have been glued to the bottom of the fuselage, as a start for the creating of the new belly of the fuselage. A tube have been added to act as the jet exhaust. Now I have to start thinking about have to add a new front with the intake for the jet engine. And then there are more PSR ahead.

Wardukw

:thumbsup:
Are ya gonna taper the exhaust tube exit ? ..it would give ya more ground clearance and give the tail area a cleaner look .
So far tho this is really heading down a very cool path 😎