Main Menu

Republic P-47T Turbobolt

Started by mat, June 14, 2023, 12:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat

Now the Turbobolt got wheels. Only a few details now missing.

You cannot view this attachment.

NARSES2

That looks terrific  :thumbsup: , but for some reason I'm seeing it in Naval Air Arm colours  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Good landing gear set-up! At least it won't burn the tarmac/runway too badly. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

mat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 28, 2023, 08:33:12 AMThat looks terrific  :thumbsup: , but for some reason I'm seeing it in Naval Air Arm colours  :unsure:
How?

NARSES2

Quote from: mat on August 30, 2023, 03:58:47 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 28, 2023, 08:33:12 AMThat looks terrific  :thumbsup: , but for some reason I'm seeing it in Naval Air Arm colours  :unsure:
How?

There's no real reason. My brain just saw it, and thought it would look good with "Armada" emblazoned on the sides.  I think it's something to do with the raised tailwheel Sometimes can't explain why it works the way it does  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

mat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 30, 2023, 06:43:06 AM
How?

There's no real reason. My brain just saw it, and thought it would look good with "Armada" emblazoned on the sides.  I think it's something to do with the raised tailwheel Sometimes can't explain why it works the way it does  :unsure:

I see your point. A hook  attached to that tail wheel would not look out of place. But with a early jetengine with slow acceleration, I don't think the Turbobolt would be applicable to carrier use. Though  Lt Cdr Eric "Winkle" Brown made the first decklanding and takeoff 3 December 1945, the jetage didn't really come to the carriers until the 1950s, when Royal Navy introduced the angled decks.

Wardukw

Quote from: mat on August 31, 2023, 04:57:16 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 30, 2023, 06:43:06 AM
How?

I see your point. A hook  attached to that tail wheel would not look out of place. But with a early jetengine with slow acceleration, I don't think the Turbobolt would be applicable to carrier use. Though  Lt Cdr Eric "Winkle" Brown made the first decklanding and takeoff 3 December 1945, the jetage didn't really come to the carriers until the 1950s, when Royal Navy introduced the angled decks.
Well Mat the US and UK used to launch TBF Avengers and Dauntless dive bombers of carriers and those birds were very slow...always launched into the wind of course and with the addition of speed from the ship I reckon your bird would fly without a lot of or any problems...ya gotta think about the power..it's gonna be lighter than the original 47 which would change the power to weight ratio and once spun up your bird should move quite nicely as ya don't have that bloody big fan on the front messing up your aerodynamics.
Still tho makes no never mind as this is a very cool build anyway 😎 😀
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

sandiego89

Quote from: Wardukw on August 31, 2023, 01:08:44 PM........Well Mat the US and UK used to launch TBF Avengers and Dauntless dive bombers of carriers and those birds were very slow...always launched into the wind of course and with the addition of speed from the ship I reckon your bird would fly without a lot of or any problems...ya gotta think about the power..it's gonna be lighter than the original 47 which would change the power to weight ratio and once spun up your bird should move quite nicely as ya don't have that bloody big fan on the front messing up your aerodynamics.

A P-47 would not be able to operate from a carrier.  A few were ferried and launched from carriers in WWII, but the landing is the hard part. 

The P-47 had high wing loading, and an airfoil not designed for high lift, slow speed landings, and thus a high landing speed and stall speed.  Not good for carrier landings.  The Avengers and Dauntless had high lift airfoils, lots of flap and lower stall speeds.  The Mustang was also trialed but was deemed unsafe especially with wicked stall characteristics.   A heavy P-47, with an underpowered, slow spooling jet (all early jets were thus) would be terrible in the groove behind the carrier.

But yes, fantastic build!
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Wardukw

Quote from: sandiego89 on August 31, 2023, 04:12:56 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 31, 2023, 01:08:44 PM........Well Mat the US and UK used to launch TBF Avengers and Dauntless dive bombers of carriers and those birds were very slow...always launched into the wind of course and with the addition of speed from the ship I reckon your bird would fly without a lot of or any problems...ya gotta think about the power..it's gonna be lighter than the original 47 which would change the power to weight ratio and once spun up your bird should move quite nicely as ya don't have that bloody big fan on the front messing up your aerodynamics.

A P-47 would not be able to operate from a carrier.  A few were ferried and launched from carriers in WWII, but the landing is the hard part. 

The P-47 had high wing loading, and an airfoil not designed for high lift, slow speed landings, and thus a high landing speed and stall speed.  Not good for carrier landings.  The Avengers and Dauntless had high lift airfoils, lots of flap and lower stall speeds.  The Mustang was also trialed but was deemed unsafe especially with wicked stall characteristics.   A heavy P-47, with an underpowered, slow spooling jet (all early jets were thus) would be terrible in the groove behind the carrier.

I have one thing to say about that Dave..it's wiffy world and it would work perfectly 😀 👍 😄
Ya gotta love the wiffy ..it's the be all and end all to all discussions  :wacko:
In the RW tho ..different story ..wiffy world rocks 😆
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

mat

Quote from: Wardukw on September 01, 2023, 12:07:25 PM

I have one thing to say about that Dave..it's wiffy world and it would work perfectly 😀 👍 😄
Ya gotta love the wiffy ..it's the be all and end all to all discussions  :wacko:

In my wiffy world Newtons and Einsteins physics still applies - which I must admit put some serious restrictions on my builds, but having been a science journalist for many years I feel more comfortable with that.

mat

Last details on and ready for take-off - or a proper photoshoot

NARSES2

Quote from: mat on September 07, 2023, 05:10:17 AMIn my wiffy world Newtons and Einsteins physics still applies - which I must admit put some serious restrictions on my builds, but having been a science journalist for many years I feel more comfortable with that.

I can understand that  :thumbsup:

I really do like this colour scheme, it just looks so right  :thumbsup:

kerick

Quote from: mat on September 07, 2023, 05:10:17 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on September 01, 2023, 12:07:25 PM

In my wiffy world Newtons and Einsteins physics still applies - which I must admit put some serious restrictions on my builds, but having been a science journalist for many years I feel more comfortable with that.

Then you know about all the quantum theories going around. Seems to allow anything to happen!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Vulcan7

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Joe C-P

Very nice build, like the markings.
 :thumbsup:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.