Main Menu

The Griffon Tigercat

Started by Wardukw, June 14, 2023, 11:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Can't wait to see this finished... looking very good already, mate! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

Thanks matey 😊
Oh your gonna love this ..I couldn't find any instructions on the plans about what colour to paint the landing gear..none ..so I googled it and found five different choices  :o
White..gray..black ..sliver and dark gray...so least I've got choices huh  :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

perttime

The first Tigercat photos that I got by googling show gear legs in black....

But this is FAA. Silver like on late Seafires and Sea Hornets (as far as I can tell)? Sea Fury legs mainly look white to me.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: perttime on July 13, 2023, 04:10:05 AMThe first Tigercat photos that I got by googling show gear legs in black....

They're most probably painted in USN Dark Sea Blue (FS 35042), similar practice on all-blue F4Us and F6Fs, with interior green wells. I'd assume that the black USMC F7F night fighters still retained this standard.
Had a similar "problem" with my "briticized" F4U - how would you paint the landing gear? I checked Sea Fury pics as reference, and it seems as if the whole landing gear had been painted in Sky, just like the undersides. Quiet boring, and after using the instructions from the Airfix 1:48 Sea Fury as another guide, I eventually decided to paint the wells in a pale zinc chromate yellow and the legs in aluminum. I also decided to paint the cockpit very dark grey instead of the US-style interior green for a more British look & feel.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Wardukw on July 12, 2023, 02:07:03 AMThomas mate yeah the engines are a little forward but thats deliberate..gets the look I wanted and as for cooling..it has the intakes under the engines and also there's intakes along the leading edge of the wings .

Looking foward to see the hardware.  :lol:

Wardukw

Oh crap !! ..make that now 6 colour choices  :lol:
I'm gonna go with alloy coloured..it's easy to paint and pin wash .
I didn't bother with the cockpit Dizzy..kinda had the feeling that the Brits wouldn't bother as well since this bird was never made in the UK and was a stop gap before the Hornet came into service...which when ya read the back story it will make sense 😊

The gray is painted lads..today the dark green does on and then it's decal hunting time ...gotta find the right looking ones for this which shouldn't be to hard ..ive got a ok selection of British markings now...not one set is FAA though so I'll see what I can come up with  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Tophe

Your model is reaching the top in elegance! :wub:
When finished, may I try to edit the jpg file into a twin-boom version? (as cousin of P-38), othewise I could do it in vectorial drawing with much more "work"...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Wardukw

Quote from: Tophe on July 13, 2023, 07:05:05 PMYour model is reaching the top in elegance! :wub:
When finished, may I try to edit the jpg file into a twin-boom version? (as cousin of P-38), othewise I could do it in vectorial drawing with much more "work"...
You are more than welcome to Tophe mate 👍 😉
Dude I'm now gonna be very intrigued to see what it will look like  ;D

Tophe

I am very glad of this interest ;D  , while... I hope you will not be disappointed by the raw result... :unsure:  :-\
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Wardukw

Quote from: Tophe on July 13, 2023, 07:35:32 PMI am very glad of this interest ;D  , while... I hope you will not be disappointed by the raw result... :unsure:  :-\
Naaa why would I?   Your nut bar ideas are awesome mate 👍 and this is the first time you've done one of my builds so yup I'm happy 😊

Wardukw

Well its painted..glossed and tomorrow decals and detail painting along with starting the weathering.

Wardukw

Well its done ..all finished and I'll post the pics once our road gets cleared again ..with all the rain we've got slips again.

Wardukw

Well heres a kicker ..its still done and now it has pics to go with it  ;D
First off he painting ,,typical undercoat in black and then the colours ,,,the under side is Tamiya Sky and the top is Vallejo Dark green and Ocean gray ...its got the look i wanted  ;D
DSCF4296 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4297 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
And now thru the magic of tv its all done ,,,
DSCF4298 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4302 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4304 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4305 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4306 by Phill Harrison, on FlickrDSCF4307 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4308 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4310 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr

Thats that lads ...The Tiger Cat  ;D

Rick Lowe