Sea Dakota MR.2A, No.206 Sqn, RAF St.Mawgan ++FINISHED ++

Started by McColm, June 18, 2023, 10:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I worked late into the night yesterday until I got sleepy and came up with this. One wing looks higher than the other and the new engines look really big on the Dakota. There's no going back now just PSR.

Gaps between the fuselage and the wings.

The radome is  cut down from the retractable radar on the Frog Avro Shackleton MR.3. The two torpedoes are from a Blackburn Gannet(spares or repair) ,the weapons pylons are off the Hasegawa Shinmeiwa PS-1 model

McColm

I found a bomb rack from a Shorts Sunderland kit and glued it underneath the Dakota's fuselage. The propellers have been cut down to size but not glued at this stage.
The fine milliput putty does start to go off after five minutes even if you wet it to shape it. So this build was in-line, then the Airfix RNLI Lifeboat, Rolls-Royce Phantom Menace and the Bristol Olympus although I didn't complete it in time.

McColm

The evening session

Yes that's the 1/72 Hasegawa Lockheed Neptune with a different vertical tail fin and Avro Shackleton MR.3 wings. (Can't use it on this GB build).

McColm

First session of sanding and its turning out very well.

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

killnoizer

It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

Rick Lowe

What is the grey thing in the background? The new Revell Swift Boat? Or the Airfix RNLI launch?

McColm

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 04, 2023, 10:25:18 PMWhat is the grey thing in the background? The new Revell Swift Boat? Or the Airfix RNLI launch?
The grey thing in the background is the 1/72 Airfix RNLI Severn Class Lifeboat.

McColm

To add a bit of colour I'm using Mig acrylic Gun Metal paint,  not happy with the top fuselage seam might need to add some lumps & bumps.
Hand painted using a brush/hairy stick.

McColm

The decals have been put on but not the same as the coloured printed display sheet suggested. The D8 is printed in white but the decals are in yellow. The D-day stripes didn't want to adhere on the wings so they were binned.
Lumps,  bumps and fiddly aerials, wheels to be painted plus the windscreen added. Propellers need painting,  windows need attending to.

Vulcan7

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Rick Lowe

Quote from: McColm on July 05, 2023, 12:15:29 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 04, 2023, 10:25:18 PMWhat is the grey thing in the background? The new Revell Swift Boat? Or the Airfix RNLI launch?
The grey thing in the background is the 1/72 Airfix RNLI Severn Class Lifeboat.

Thanks  :thumbsup:

McColm

A few more additions and a bit of painting, needs tidying up.

McColm

Disaster averted as the cockpit windscreen disappeared into the void  of disppear. The new cockpit windscreen is made from a 1/72 Avro Lancaster cockpit canopy. The canopy has been painted silver but once cut and shaped looks as though it should be there. One or two touch-ups are required.  Decals applied to the propellers, should be completed by late Saturday.