De Havilland DH-101 Wasp

Started by TomZ, June 19, 2023, 03:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

De Havilland DH-101 Wasp

De Havilland started work on the DH-100 Vampire, or Spider Crab as it was then known, in 1941 as jet-engined development aircraft.  As the design progressed however, it became clear that the jet engines under development could not deliver anywhere near the power they promised.
As a safeguard, De Havilland started work on a piston engined alternative to the Vampire, called the DH-101 Wasp. It was to be powered by the Rolls Royce Eagle II engine, a 24 cylinder, 46l engine developing 3.200hp. In order to accommodate the propeller, the undercarriage needed to be lengthened, resulting in moving the main undercarriage legs 50 centimetres inboard. The cooling intake was kept in place of the wing root jet intakes.

As feared, the jet engine fighter could not be produced soon and De Havilland proposed the DH-101 to the RAF as a replacement. In 1943 the RAF agreed to this and the first DH-101 Wasp flew at the end of 1944 with the fifth prototype of the Eagle II engine. The aircraft and the engine proved to be relatively trouble free and the RAF ordered 100 Wasps in April 1945. The first production aircraft were delivered in August 1945, just after the end of the second world war.
Production orders were scaled down but in the end the RAF received 450 Wasps which were used as day and night fighters and light bombers. The Wasp was used extensively in the Korean war. It was only when jet aircraft finally became available at the end of the 1950s, the Wasp was phased out.

The De Havilland Wasp was a big export success and was used by air forces in Australia Austria, Canada, Ecuador, Spain, Egypt, Israel, Finland, France, Ireland, South Africa, India, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland.
The last aircraft to leave operational service was a DH-101 Mk 55 trainer of the Swiss Air Force that was retired in 1990.

Model: Trumpeter 1/48 Vampire FB.Mk.9

This would have been one for the Re-engine it group build were it not for the fact that it was started a year ago  <_<

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Old Wombat

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Pity you didn't wait until the Re-Engine It GB, Tom, it could have been a contender! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

loupgarou

Interesting idea and very good build. :thumbsup:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

What a CLASS job, and so very plausible too, I LOVE it.  :wub:  :thumbsup:  :bow:  :drink:  :cheers:  :party:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

top notch Tom :thumbsup:

Inspiration indeed - I've a spare Vampire and a spare Sea Venom in the stash, so maybe...... ;)
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

SPINNERS

There is so much invention and creativity going on around here lately and this little gem is right up there. Well done TomZ!

Vulcan7

Fantastic build, worth the wait  :mellow:  :tornado:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Accidental Loggie

Converte et subvertere

kerick

And another "why didn't I think of that!" Well done!
Where did you get the prop from?
Any in progress photos?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

😀😀 ...so simple a idea..so nicely built..total brilliance  :lol:
Superb Tom  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

TomZ

Quote from: kerick on June 19, 2023, 09:22:00 AMAnd another "why didn't I think of that!" Well done!
Where did you get the prop from?
Any in progress photos?

No in progress pics, i'm afraid.

The prop is a resin after market Spitfire prop

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Hobbes

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

comrade harps

Brilliant!

l'm thinking that those mighty exhaust stubs would be adding drag and adding thrust.
Whatever.