Contra-props

Started by PR19_Kit, June 27, 2023, 09:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Apart from the obvious, and numerous, Shackleton kits, which 1/72 scale contain contra-props, and I don't mind 3 or 4 bladed ones?

I'm in need of one for an idea I have, and I may already have the parts in The Loft, but it would take for EVER to dig through everything up there to find them!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

There's the KP Pogo, but it's a bit different to most. Trumpeter Tu-95 bear would give you lots.  Revell Gannet? Special Hobby Spitfire F.21?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on June 27, 2023, 11:21:20 AMThere's the KP Pogo, but it's a bit different to most. Trumpeter Tu-95 bear would give you lots.  Revell Gannet? Special Hobby Spitfire F.21?

Yes, I have a few (really.......) Pogos, but they're BIG props, as are the ones from the Bear, but I have plans for those already.

I'd forgotten about the Gannet, stupid of me and I have 2-3 of them already, but a Mamba-less one of them would be a good candidate for the 'Different Engine' GB, and I didn't know about the SH Spitfire F21 at all. Thanks very much.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

If you want something smaller, there is also the ancient Revell Tradewind... ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

The Wooksta!

Avoid the Special Hobby Spitfire F21 contraprop as it's dreadful*.  The AZ/Legato/Admiral Spitfire F21/F22/24 & Seafire F45/F46 is worth it though.  They only give enough blades to do either the 5 blade standard or 6 contra, so you'd need a replacement prop.

See also the CMR Spitfire F21 and Seafire F45, but they do give alternate bits. Which is generous considering they'll have your eyes and come back for the sockets price wise.

*As indeed is the rest of the kit, being too short in the fuselage, too fat, the canopies are massive, the wing platform is odd near the tips, the fit is poor and the extra F18 rudder for the contra 21 is too high.  Really, just avoid it.  A cross kit if the Airfix 22 wing with the PR19 will give you vastly superior results.
Mind, the decals are nice and the box is sturdy with nice artwork.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

buzzbomb

Quote from: Mossie on June 27, 2023, 11:21:20 AM... Trumpeter Tu-95 bear would give you lots.....

And another great candidate for Re-engine it. Oohhh that is soo tempting, I have one sitting in the stash since it first came out, but the "where the hell do you put it" faction of my head voices will probably win out. :-\

Dizzyfugu

The VEB Plasticart Tu-20/95 comes with four 4-blade contraprops. It's 1:100, so that they fit well in 1:72, in size similar to large Tempest or P-47 props. The kit can be quite cheap to procure (I have seen specimen got for just EUR 5,-), but the props are single piece and quiet slender. I have used them several times over the years:

1:72 Vought-CAC Corsair S(AW).1, '236'/WZ882, Royal Australian Navy, 806 Squadron/HMAS Melbourne, 1957 (Whif/Kit conversion)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

There is also a 1:144 resin aftermaket set (from Russia, IIRC) with complete Tu-95 engines and props - these work well as smaller 1:72 turboprops, and they are so exact that the props can spin freely. Great stuff. Here used as "monoprops":

1:72 Reims Aviation MH.352 "Bastang II"; aircraft "R2118/M" of the Royal Rhodesian Air Force No. 4 Squadron; Thornhill AB, during Operation Sable, late 1972 (Whif/Italeri P-51D conversion)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And here in full splendor:

1:72 Boeing MV-10H "Super Bronco" a.k.a. "Black Pony"; "IP 002 (s/n 18-2002)", USAF 919th Special Operations Support Squadron, 919th Special Operations Wing; Duke Field (Eglin Air Force Auxiliary Field 3, Florida), 2020 (Whif/kitbashing)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Scratching (from a drop tank, plus internal axis constrcution and single blades) is also an option, even though adventurous:

[Inspired by] The Sky Crawlers - 1:72 Stockum Air Force "Fafnir Ausf. B" turboprop fighter (kitbashing/scratch-built)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The Revell Tradewind is horrible, very toy-like, avoid it. I used parts from that kit in some projects, but none of them got the full engine nacelles and the contraprops.

Wardukw

I just wish they'd make contra props in 48th which were complete and not cost a fricken fortune.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Beermonster58

So far, nobody has mentioned the Westland Wyvern.  ;)
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

perttime

Quote from: Wardukw on June 28, 2023, 02:03:54 AMI just wish they'd make contra props in 48th which were complete and not cost a fricken fortune.
Unless somebody has a leftover from an Airfix Seafire 46/47 kit.

zenrat

Freightdog Eagle Tempest conversion set has a contra prop.  Has anyone asked him nicely if he has considered running off a batch of just the props?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 28, 2023, 12:50:39 AMThe VEB Plasticart Tu-20/95 comes with four 4-blade contraprops. It's 1:100, so that they fit well in 1:72, in size similar to large Tempest or P-47 props. The kit can be quite cheap to procure (I have seen specimen got for just EUR 5,-), but the props are single piece and quiet slender. I have used them several times over the years:

Ah yes, why didn't I think of that, as I have the 1/100 VEB Tu-114 airliner in The Loft? Thanks Thomas.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Beermonster58 on June 28, 2023, 03:01:27 AMSo far, nobody has mentioned the Westland Wyvern.  ;)

Brain fade! I've got a couple of them too! Thanks so much.

Quote from: zenrat on June 28, 2023, 04:08:11 AMFreightdog Eagle Tempest conversion set has a contra prop.  Has anyone asked him nicely if he has considered running off a batch of just the props?

That's a BRILL idea Fred.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: buzzbomb on June 27, 2023, 04:17:03 PM
Quote from: Mossie on June 27, 2023, 11:21:20 AM... Trumpeter Tu-95 bear would give you lots.....

And another great candidate for Re-engine it. Oohhh that is soo tempting, I have one sitting in the stash since it first came out, but the "where the hell do you put it" faction of my head voices will probably win out. :-\

Hang it on the wall like a sword? :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Quote from: scooter on June 28, 2023, 05:07:10 AM

Hang it on the wall like a sword? :wacko:

Motorise it and use it as cooling for your bedroom.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Trumpy also do one in 1/144, it's still pretty big.  I've been thinking about a Herc, it's a relevant titch but I've got the same issue.  I don't think the missus will go for the ceiling fan idea...
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.