FW 190 with BMW 8011

Started by Kris, June 27, 2023, 12:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

Next project I'm working on (1/72 and 1/48 scale): FW 190 with the BMW 8011 (as BMW 802 but with turbo chargers).
I modelled the engine first and subsequently modelled the fuselage around it. Tail and canopy is a standard FW 190 A-6. Will add a Ta 152 as an optional 'what if' feature. The whole thing is based on a study done by Focke Wulf.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.   

Wardukw

Yup ..another one of yours I want Kris  :wub:  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

killnoizer

This is again absolute AMAZING and far beyond my horizon . . . Thank you for that !
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

The Wooksta!

That would have had to have the parallel box section and bigger tail of the D series, if not an outright Ta 152 tail,  for aesthetic reasons if nowt else.

Obviously you're going to render stuff that interests you, but there are a few pre war Gotha designs that look interesting, such as the Go 149 that could have been a decent fighter trainer and the Go 241.  Neither, despite actually flying in limited numbers, have ever been kitted AFAIK.

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Kris

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 27, 2023, 03:38:10 PMThat would have had to have the parallel box section and bigger tail of the D series, if not an outright Ta 152 tail,  for aesthetic reasons if nowt else.

Obviously you're going to render stuff that interests you, but there are a few pre war Gotha designs that look interesting, such as the Go 149 that could have been a decent fighter trainer and the Go 241.  Neither, despite actually flying in limited numbers, have ever been kitted AFAIK.

These are some lovely designs and I will definitely consider them. Thank you.
Btw the render is just an intermediate step towards printing the models.
As for any modifications; as far as possible I'd like to stay true to the original drawings. But adding some optional 'what if' features is probably a nice touch for the final kit. 

Dizzyfugu

2996 Victor

Quote from: Wardukw on June 27, 2023, 12:31:32 PMYup ..another one of yours I want Kris  :wub:  ;D
Definitely! :thumbsup: Looks absolutely amazing!
Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

perttime

This looks quite different from the Focke-Wulf Fw Fighter Project w/BMW 802 concept and the similar idea with BMW 8011.
http://www.luft46.com/fw/fwbmw802.html

You cannot view this attachment.

Vulcan7

Great looking 190 design  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Kris

Actau
Quote from: perttime on June 28, 2023, 02:28:40 AMThis looks quite different from the Focke-Wulf Fw Fighter Project w/BMW 802 concept and the similar idea with BMW 8011.

You cannot view this attachment.

I used primary source material whenever possible. However, the existing sketch deviates quite significantly from the actual FW 190 contour. This led me to believe that the original sketch was actually just a sketch and not a technical drawing. As for the wing shape, there is no evidence supporting the straight middle section. If this had been built, Focke Wulf would most likely have equipped the prototype with existing components from the 190/152 line.
So the way I work is; design sub systems based on original drawings (engines etc) and combine them to fit the original sketch as best as possible. CAD will show me what fits and what doesn't. Back in the days a mock up would have been built.b
The renderings you are referring to, feature a VTP and tail section that do not originate from the 190. The original documents state that a combination of the 190 fuselage with the 802 or 8011 engine were intended.
Also, the BMW 802 feature a standard propeller. The 8011 featured 2 turbo chargers and would drive counter rotating props.

bil

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 27, 2023, 03:38:10 PMThat would have had to have the parallel box section and bigger tail of the D series, if not an outright Ta 152 tail,  for aesthetic reasons if nowt else.

Dujin had a resin Go149 (DA 72101).  There's one somewhere in my stash!

The Wooksta!

Doesn't surprise me, he kitted all sorts of odd one offs.  Long gone now though.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

perttime

Quote from: Kris on June 28, 2023, 07:13:25 AMActau
Quote from: perttime on June 28, 2023, 02:28:40 AMThis looks quite different from the Focke-Wulf Fw Fighter Project w/BMW 802 concept and the similar idea with BMW 8011.

(...)
The renderings you are referring to, feature a VTP and tail section that do not originate from the 190. The original documents state that a combination of the 190 fuselage with the 802 or 8011 engine were intended.
I see...
Not knowing any better, I had assumed that these were a separate thing from 190/152. The sketch and renderings are so different.

Kris

Quote from: perttime on June 28, 2023, 09:31:03 PM
Quote from: Kris on June 28, 2023, 07:13:25 AMActau

(...)
I see...
Not knowing any better, I had assumed that these were a separate thing from 190/152. The sketch and renderings are so different.

I need to correct myself. I did some further research and now believe that my previous statement that this project was based on the FW 190 is false (although some sources suggest that).
I summarized my findings here: Blog post FW 8011

Need to rework the model now  ;D .

Cheers
Kris