DONE @p.3 +++ 1:72 Svenska Aero SA-16 ‚B 9‘; F6 Västgöta flygflottilj, 1938

Started by Dizzyfugu, July 02, 2023, 02:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 03, 2023, 06:21:58 AM
Quote from: Pellson on July 03, 2023, 05:16:12 AMCool! I wasn't aware. Do you have pics?

Found it in a book, contemporary b/w and a profile based on that picture. Must check if I can scan/upload it.
I am aware of the IPMS Stockholm paints list, but it does not mention the "special" paint scheme that was e. g. used on the J 9/P-35s, the benchmark for the B 9:

Being a real pain, I'm afraid, but the scheme above is actually not quite correct. It isn't zinc chromnate, but italian matt sand under the olive green, and the black and white underwings were painted all the way in to the centerline. My dad used to bike out to the airfield, living just an hour away, and had vivid memories of the then brand new American wonder machines.

And looking at the paints list, you will see that the J9 colours are mentioned together with the two italian aircraft.  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

Interesting that they used a variation of the half white/half black scheme that the RAF used at the start of WII.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Yup, very similar, but AFAIK it was used for training only, and the practice might have been confined to just F 8.

Pellson

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 03, 2023, 08:10:00 AMYup, very similar, but AFAIK it was used for training only, and the practice might have been confined to just F 8.

It was only ever applied to the R-S EP-1 in Sweden, and the only unit using those aircraft was the F8 Wing. The reason for this, very apparently RAF inspired graphic design was very likely the vicinity to the Air Force Staff, located just an hour away by car in Stockholm, whose big idols were their British counterparts.
As a matter of fact, the F8 wing kept a separate flight set aside for Air Force staff members to use to stay airworthy. Late in the war, when the tactical no's changed to letters, this flight had white letters, rather than the usual red/blue/yellow letters used by the wings three active squadrons. This "staff flight" was eventually shifted over to F16 Wing in Uppsala, and the white letters followed suit.

PR19_Kit

You're our own on-line Swedish Air Force encyclopedia, aren't you? :-)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Here it is, for reference:

Paint scheme reference ( From Mikael Förslund, Swedish Bomber Colors, 2020)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

For a full-scale picture, click on the image, the original post can be zoomed in.

Pellson

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 03, 2023, 11:17:48 PMHere it is, for reference:

Paint scheme reference ( From Mikael Förslund, Swedish Bomber Colors, 2020)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

For a full-scale picture, click on the image, the original post can be zoomed in.

Thanks a lot, Thomas! That was really, really interesting!  :wub:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 03, 2023, 10:44:58 AMYou're our own on-line Swedish Air Force encyclopedia, aren't you? :-)

One has to take his responsibilities seriously, hasn't one?  ;)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Pellson on July 04, 2023, 01:16:57 AMOne has to take his responsibilities seriously, hasn't one?  ;)

Indeed one does, and we're so pleased you do.  :thumbsup:  ;D

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

It's very effective - no wonder that many prototype cars that are tested these days on public roads carry similar patterns!

comrade harps

Don't know if l would have the patience to do a scheme like that.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

Dizzyfugu

Nothing new here yet, it has been too hot recently for a relaxed photo session...  :-\

Vulcan7

I was going to wait for your final photos but that camo is just fantastic! Do you print out new A3/2 background sheets for each shot?  :o   :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Dizzyfugu

Finally, photo session completed. Picture editing next, though.  :angel: