Main Menu

Gas Turbine Chieftain MBT 1/35

Started by buzzbomb, July 07, 2023, 11:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Ok team.. I am on the job.

I am going to have a crack at a Chieftain tank fitted with a Gas Turbine Tank, along the lines of the Abrams and T-80.
Work was done using a Conquerer to test he concept, but let's try for a later production model.
There are a lot of reason why turbines engines are not fitted in more tanks, but let's leave that in the Real World.

In this sort of group build of this nature, this will be a lot more subtle than the sometimes plainly obvious changes to an Aircraft, pretty much the engine deck will look different and few other bits and pieces.
So, the venerable, but still mostly ok Tamiya Chieftain Mk 5

Engine deck before

and so it begins.... setting up a basis for the rest of the deck mods and some initial concept placement

Modified Exhaust area

Wardukw

Welcome to the fold Buzzy  :thumbsup:
Glad to see your nit hanging around with this build  ;D  :o
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Vulcan7

Looking cool already  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  I picked up this kit in a charity shop a while back for £7 never had a Tamiya tank before (or any 1/35 tank for that matter) great to see how it should be done & improved :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

buzzbomb

This thread almost fell of the page, been so long since I have done anything  ;D
Pillocking rain today.. so shed time

Working more on the new Engine deck and pretty much got most of it done. A bit of detail work around hinges, handles, cover mesh and similar hoopla to will be next

Wardukw

I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

I hope it comes with sound when it's finished..........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

I'm trying to imagine that sound..I know the Abrams sound ..been beside them often enough and that has wondering if this will sound similar 🤔

PR19_Kit

Most turbines of that period and horsepower rating had similar sounds. The Leyland gas turbine truck sounded similar to the Rover-BRM Le Mans car, as did the Howmet TX car, and the Lotus 56 too.

Having said that, the ten Leyland turbines on the APT-E train that I worked on sounded rather like a 707 doing a low fly by when it went past me at 150 mph!  :o

Modern day turbines might be different of course, turbine technology's advanced quite a bit since the 60s-70s.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Isn't it obvious?  It would sound like this...

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Quote from: zenrat on July 21, 2023, 04:43:15 AMIsn't it obvious?  It would sound like this...

Hahaha 😆
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 21, 2023, 03:23:17 AMMost turbines of that period and horsepower rating had similar sounds. The Leyland gas turbine truck sounded similar to the Rover-BRM Le Mans car, as did the Howmet TX car, and the Lotus 56 too.

Having said that, the ten Leyland turbines on the APT-E train that I worked on sounded rather like a 707 doing a low fly by when it went past me at 150 mph!  :o

Modern day turbines might be different of course, turbine technology's advanced quite a bit since the 60s-70s.
Oh that would have been great to experience that Kit 😀

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw on July 21, 2023, 11:40:12 AMOh that would have been great to experience that Kit 😀

Don't get me going on the APT, I've been known to give 3.5 hr lectures on it!

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 21, 2023, 12:58:24 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on July 21, 2023, 11:40:12 AMOh that would have been great to experience that Kit 😀

Don't get me going on the APT, I've been known to give 3.5 hr lectures on it!
Hahaha..ok then I won't  ;D   ;D

buzzbomb

Plenty of room for a sound chip in a model this size  ;)

Small update, some minor work on the engine deck and getting the stowage bins and turret together.
To try and give this version a point of difference, I have added IFCS (Improved Fire Control System) and perhaps an early version of the Laser Targeting that replaced the IR Searchlight in the later marks and improved NBC Filter gear on the rear of the turret.

Louvres on the rear plate, still a bit to go there.

Almost there really