The Bv 148, Dr Vogt's 'conventional' version of the Bv 141 - DONE

Started by PR19_Kit, July 08, 2023, 03:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Theres a simple fact about your build Kit...ya know its serious when ya have to use a freakin lathe mate  ;D  ;D
Besides i love mutant builds with alot of work because hints and tricks can be found a plenty which helps everyone out in our community which is never a bad thing ,,,ever  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Too true! Without Pete and his lathe this wouldn't have been possible, not in a sane time scale anyway.

I suppose I could have cut and filed every one of the eight bulkheads by hand, but they wouldn't have fitted as well and I'd just about have got it done by Christrmas!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Its one of those must be cut with a lathe things and as for every disc ..oh mate ...that would have sucked in more ways  than I care to describe .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Vulcan7

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

jcf

:thumbsup:

Gallaudet D-4 propeller, in the background you can see the prop drive gear box. The engine was a Liberty V-12.
You cannot view this attachment.

The prop rotated around the tube that connected the aft fuselage to the centre section, the tube was socketed into
larger tubes in the two sections.

The control cables ran through the tube. Aft fuselage mounted to a test structure showing the elevator control assembly.

The Gallaudet D-1 had two Duesenberg 16-valve, four-cylinder "walking beam" engines driving separate spur gears
through clutches, an engine could be shut down in flight to conserve fuel. The Gallaudet D-2 had two Hall-Scott A-5a
engines.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: jcf on July 30, 2023, 12:22:47 PMThe prop rotated around the tube that connected the aft fuselage to the centre section, the tube was socketed into
larger tubes in the two sections.

JUST how I built the model.  ;D

I wish the wing was as logical, but the port wing of the 141 was longer than the starboard one. Just a tad, but enough to make extending them to the same length difficult.

Very interesting pcs Jon.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Still really like how this is heading.

Jon, some of the pix you find are extraordinary

PR19_Kit

Got the starboard wing sorted out now. Well it will be after the inevitable PSR or course.

I've also positioned the cockpit from the original gondola on the front of the fuselage and after a bit of fiddling getting the angles right it's glued in place. It'll need some styrene fairings aft of the joint, AND some PSR of course, but it's getting there.

The main landing gear bays are in a sensible position now, and the outboard bays have been blanked off.

Here's the current state of the build with the wings just plugged in place. I've got to sort out the tail before I risk gluing them in.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

;D  ;D  ;D. Love it 😀
The longer wings are a must for this as I think the proportions would be wrong.
It's better balanced now and the tail should finish off nicely 👌 👍

PR19_Kit

Yeah, it makes for a loooooong thin aeroplane, with the props in the middle.

Regards
Kit

63cpe

Impressive build Kit. Intruiging subject and I like it. Can't wait to see it finished!

David aka 63cpe

PR19_Kit

Nor can I, but it's a bit of a fiddle.  ;D

Here's a question for the panel. How should I paint it, just like a Bv 141, or as a captured Bv 148 about to be flown by Eric Brown, or some other Luftwaffe scheme, or.....?

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 31, 2023, 02:10:43 PMNor can I, but it's a bit of a fiddle.  ;D

Here's a question for the panel. How should I paint it, just like a Bv 141, or as a captured Bv 148 about to be flown by Eric Brown, or some other Luftwaffe scheme, or.....?

My vote is for  RAF 1426 (Enemy Aircraft) flight.......................otherwise known as the Rafwaffe    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._1426_Flight_RAF
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

Swedish, the test pilot escaped to Gotland just ahead of the Red Army.
;)

buzzbomb