The Bv 148, Dr Vogt's 'conventional' version of the Bv 141 - DONE

Started by PR19_Kit, July 08, 2023, 03:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

With half wingspan at 0 dihedral, then a sharp change, maybe Jodel had an hand in the project...
" Most of the designs are recognisable by their distinctive wings, which have 'cranked' dihedral only on the outer third.  From above or below, the wings are also distinctive as this cranked section of the wing tapers sharply towards the wingtip. "
From wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodel
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

It is VERY Jodel like, yes..

But Vogt must have been a real masochist to have designed the main gear legs going across the dihedral break on the 141!

He came to his senses with the 148 as they're in the straight portion of the wing.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Now it gets complicated........

Here's the 'engineering drawing' for the mid-fuselage props on the 148.

You cannot view this attachment.

The green bits are the fuselage walls, the red bits are extra circular bulkheads that fit inside the fuselage, or inside the props, the orange bit is a hefty rod that's glued in the bulkheads and joins the cabin to the rear fuselage, and the yellow bits are larger tubes that are glued inside the prop bulkheads but rotate nicely over the orange rod.

At least that's the theory, I'm about to start cutting plastic for the eight circular bulkheads, I may be a little while.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Ummm yeah Kit...that's gonna be fun ..in a masochistic sort of way but with plenty of tea and biscuits good quality thinking can be had .
I am wondering how the rear section of the fuselage is connected to the front 🤔
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

That's what the orange rod is for, the left hand end of it in the drawing IS connected to the rear fuselage and the right hand end connects to the cockpit.

The (longer....) wings are somewhere in the middle.  ;D

Just started to convert the centre fuselage of the pale blue 141 into a tube to provide all the extra fuselage bits I'll need. Of course it starts tapering immediately past the TE of the wing, so that means I've had to file off all the wing fairings and fill in the resulting holes.

If it was easy everyone would be doing it of course.  ;)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Oh mate it's because it's not easy is why we do what we do and it's only us wiff builders who can do it  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

So VERY true.   ;D

Here's the bit if sacrificial fuselage from the pale blue 141 after it's had it's wing roots filed off, a surprisingly quick process as the styrene was so soft. It's a lot easier making the resulting holes rectangular and filling them than it would filing a bit of styrene to the exact curved shape of the hole! It'll need a bit of PSR and then a short skim in my mate Pete's teeny weeny lathe to make sure it's nice and circular later on tomorrow.

(a possible entry into the 'World's Most Boring Build Pic' competition. :-))

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 21, 2023, 01:50:25 PMSo VERY true.   ;D

Here's the bit if sacrificial fuselage from the pale blue 141 after it's had it's wing roots filed off, a surprisingly quick process as the styrene was so soft. It's a lot easier making the resulting holes rectangular and filling them than it would filing a bit of styrene to the exact curved shape of the hole! It'll need a bit of PSR and then a short skim in my mate Pete's teeny weeny lathe to make sure it's nice and circular later on tomorrow.

(a possible entry into the 'World's Most Boring Build Pic' competition. :-))
Nope nope ..I'm  not saying a thing ..I consider you a mate Kit and a mate leaves it up to other people to say how boring their build pic is ..that's what a real mate does  :angel:  ;D

loupgarou

As it's circular, wouldn't have been easier to find an appropriate sized pipe for that section?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kerick

Quote from: loupgarou on July 21, 2023, 11:55:27 PMAs it's circular, wouldn't have been easier to find an appropriate sized pipe for that section?

Just don't get any glue where you don't want it!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on July 21, 2023, 11:55:27 PMAs it's circular, wouldn't have been easier to find an appropriate sized pipe for that section?

I tried, and there's just nothing around that wouldn't need either building up or turning down to  match the 141's diameter.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Hmmmm, slight balls-up on the bulkhead manufacture process............ :(

I cut ten 10 mm squares of 2 mm styrene, two spares,, drilled pilot holes and bolted them all together.

Then Pete chucked them in his mini-lathe and turned the block down to the required 9.7 mm exactly, and it took almost no time at all, he does this sort of thing all the time.  ;D

Then we took the little block of circular bulkheads and test fitted them in the scrap 141 fuselage.

Errrrr, a SLIGHT discrepancy in the diameter I'll admit, so it looks like we'll have to do it all again but at least we proved the technique!  ;D

No, I've NO idea where the '9.7 mm' dia. measurement came from, I've re-measured everything on this job and NOTHING comes to 9.7 mm. It should be 14.6 mm so I'm chopping up ten LARGER pieces of styrene now................

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 22, 2023, 05:50:28 AMHmmmm, slight balls-up on the bulkhead manufacture process............ :(

Errrrr, a SLIGHT discrepancy in the diameter I'll admit, so it looks like we'll have to do it all again but at least we proved the technique!  ;D

No, I've NO idea where the '9.7 mm' dia. measurement came from, I've re-measured everything on this job and NOTHING comes to 9.7 mm. It should be 14.6 mm so I'm chopping up ten LARGER pieces of styrene now................

Measure! Measure! Cut! ... Oops! ... Measure! Measure! Measure! Cut! ... Bugger! ... Measure! Measure! Measure! Measure! Cut! ... You've got to be kidding! ... Measure! Measure! Measure! Measure! Measure! Cut! ... Oh, for f___sake! ... Measure! Measure! Measure! Measure! Measure! Measure! Cut! ... :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: I give up! :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

If you turn 14.6 upside down and squint (or put on the wrong specs) it sorta looks like 9.7...

:unsure:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

It's sorted now, a whole set of new, larger, bulkheads have been chopped, drilled, turned, re-drilled and even RE-drilled umpteen times, and now they all fit over their respective rods and tubes.

Two of them are even installed in place in the fuselage extensions. RESULT!  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit