The Bv 148, Dr Vogt's 'conventional' version of the Bv 141 - DONE

Started by PR19_Kit, July 08, 2023, 03:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

I'd go for something in a late war scheme but with the German markings with RAF roundels over the top and an Air Min number, for something displayed at Farnborough.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Yes, that's what I was thinking off for Capt. Eric to fly.   ;D

There were some interesting interpretations of various markings at Farnborough and Boscombe in that period
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I'm working on the engine installation now, and it's going to be an in-line inverted V12, like a DB 605 or a Jumo 222. The problem is where exactly would it go?

I doubt they'd put it right in the centre of the wing chord as they'd need a massive ring frame to connect the two halves of the spar, and it would have to pass right round the engine. Unlikely but not impossible I think. I'm using an ancient Lindberg Do 335 as a donor for the exhausts and the big engine air intake and they could go in either of the two positions shown below. It'll be a tight fit but there's enough space right under the wing roots, I've checked.

Anyone any ideas about those two positions, or any other ideas even?

You cannot view this attachment.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kerick

I would go with just behind the wing. It puts the engine as close as you can to the cg. Like you said, between the wings would be impractical and would add a lot of weight too. Just put fuel in front of the wing to help counter balance it.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

The Wooksta!

Jumo 222 has very odd exhausts,  two banks of four in the 2-6-10 positions.

Neither is the 222 a V-12, as it's a 24 cylinder engine with the cylinders in a Y configuration. It was a car crash of a design and Junkers spent the war trying to get it right.  It never did attain it's designed horsepower.

You could go for the shrouded exhausts of the 222s on the Ju 488 V-403.

As long as the engine is behind or ahead of the wing spar, you could have it between the wing.  Makes more sense, as you can hang it off the spar for a stronger structure.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

jcf

The Bv 141 had a tubular main spar, so I'd think you'd have room to put it just behind the spar and use
a propeller drive gearbox that takes the shaft up over the spar. 

Jumo 222 cross-section. It's classified as an inline radial,
having six banks of four cylinders each attached to an
hexagonal crankcase.

Wardukw

Kit mounting the engine in between the wings is your best option.
A cyclical wing spar wouldn't be hard to design and done right would be far stronger as a circular shape is a stronger than a square or a rectangle and you could make say 4 or 5 cyclical mounts with the wings spars included as a single casting making for a extremely strong structure.
Mounting the first engine as close to the leading edge of the wing would bring you cg much closer to centre as you want to keep that as close as possible .
The further you mount the second engine backwards the more difficult getting a cg would be ..fact it probably be impossible as the front engine would then have to be moved forward as far as possible to counter the arse end weight of the rear engine which in itself still might now be far enough.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Hmmm, I must have picked the wrong Jumo, that 222 is MEGA complicated. I think I'll stick with the tried and true DB 605.

That spar makes it easier to have the engine more centrally spaced, I'll see if I can graft the exhaust stubs into the underside of the wing root fairings.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Right, that's got the engine installed. I bet they wish they could have done it that fast in 1943...................  ;D

I marked out the position of the exhausts after filing them to size, then chain drilled around the outlines and filed and sliced till they fitted. It needed a bit of care gluing them in place unless they fell right through inside, but the socking great bar down the middle stopped them from going too far.

I also glued the massive intake in position on the upper side of the fuselage, and it's starting to look as I imagined it now.

Oh yes, you can just see the beginnings of the fairing that I've added so the cockpit/observation gondola fairs nicely into the fuselage. Lots of PSR to come on that bit no doubt.

Regards
Kit

jcf

The Jumo 213 is also a straightforward choice, and you'd probably have room in the
fuselage for one of the later versions with the three-speed, two-stage supercharger,
like the 213E used in the Ta 152H-1 with a max. rating of 2,250hp, and normal of
2,100hp. Junkers figured that with further development the design was capable of
2,500+.
Most production 213 were two-speed, single-stage. It was a better engine than the
DB 603 and DB 605 and it's cross-sectional area was less than that of the Jumo 211.

PR19_Kit

OK, a Jumo 213 it is then.  ;D

The only bits visible are the exhausts and the intake so it can be what I say it is. (Kit's Rule #2 applies of course.)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

That's looks great Kit 👍 👌 it's given it the powerful look it needed 😊
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw