The Bv 148, Dr Vogt's 'conventional' version of the Bv 141 - DONE

Started by PR19_Kit, July 08, 2023, 03:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

Quote from: Wardukw on August 11, 2023, 10:56:49 AMThat's the worst part Kit...I haven't had a great time with scribing.
The hardest part is keeping the ruler in place and cutting the panel lines..one way or another I'll find away to do it..my bloody left hand is the problem so I've got to find a way to work with that.

Disclaimer: Something I have read:
Some modellers use old-style Dimo tape (quite thick) It works well also on curved surfaces, but is wasteful of the tape. In a big job, can be costly.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

IF you can find the stuff! I've used it before and it's pretty good on quite sharply curved surfaces, and can be re-used a few times too, but it seems to be almost extinct these days.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Well that makes no never mind to me as I've never heard of the stuff 😄
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

jcf

Quote from: Wardukw on August 11, 2023, 02:17:39 PMWell that makes no never mind to me as I've never heard of the stuff 😄
You never had the joy of using a Dymo label maker? :wacko:

DYMO Embossing label maker

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 11, 2023, 12:31:14 PMIF you can find the stuff! I've used it before and it's pretty good on quite sharply curved surfaces, and can be re-used a few times too, but it seems to be almost extinct these days.  :banghead:
They still make it, and there are knock off versions available from other manufacturers.

DYMO Embossing Labels

Knock-off on Amazon UK
Airmall Dymo Compatible

Wardukw

Quote from: jcf on August 11, 2023, 02:58:28 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 11, 2023, 02:17:39 PMWell that makes no never mind to me as I've never heard of the stuff 😄

Oh now I know what you blokes are talking about and I've seen them before but they don't look anything like here that I've seen and nope never used one so no never heard of the tape .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Quote from: Wardukw on August 11, 2023, 06:51:54 PM
Quote from: jcf on August 11, 2023, 02:58:28 PM

Oh now I know what you blokes are talking about and I've seen them before but they don't look anything like here that I've seen and nope never used one so no never heard of the tape .

It's useful stuff. It stays in a straight line while scribing. I haven't tried it but I bet you could cut a shallow curve and scribe that. Good for repeat scribes.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 11, 2023, 10:51:37 AMAnd it also means I ought to re-scribe some of it once the PSR is done too.  :banghead:

Chris's First Rule - Remember you are 72 feet away  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 12, 2023, 05:58:35 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 11, 2023, 10:51:37 AMAnd it also means I ought to re-scribe some of it once the PSR is done too.  :banghead:

:thumbsup: Which was why I never rescribed when I was still working in plastic.  But also, probably, an advantage of the kits mastered by the Matchbox ditch digger.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 12, 2023, 05:58:35 AM

Yes, very true. But that big slab of a wing would look rather strange if it was smooth all over, like a Mosquito's does.

The back story (which is already written....) says it was designed to use as many production Bv 141 parts as possible, just with a different type of rivet, so it'll need SOME panel lines, just not a lot.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

frank2056

I happened to be building an old 1/72 F-104 kit (It was a bagged kit without instructions - it had raised panel lines). I was obsessing over what to do with the panel lines. A few days later, I went down to the Chino Planes of fame museum and they had an F-104 out in the bright sunlight. Not only could I not see panel lines (other than control surfaces and the nose cone)from 72 feet away, I had to get within a foot to see them.

PR19_Kit

I'd agree with your comment about the F-104, but technology had progressed markedly between 1943 and the late 50s.

On that actual web page about the F-104, the heading pic is a Meteor T7 and the panel lines on that are pretty obvious.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've got the tail assembled now, two Bv 141 tailplanes joined end to end with a couple of modified Bv 141 fins/rudders plonked on each end. I think it looks suitably un-conventional for one of Dr. Vogt's creations.  ;D

You cannot view this attachment.

And yes, it's mounted on a low pylon because that came off the 141 production line as well.

The all new Rheinmetall-Borsig HL 148V gun turret is all assembled now, complete with guns, and it's had a LOT of filing carried out to match it with the 148's fuselage cross section too.

You cannot view this attachment.

The little dingus sticking out of the middle of the turret is the 'Hinten Radarwarngerät', an early attempt at seeing the radar from prowling Mosquito intruders.  ;)

And if you believe that, you'll believe anything.  ;D

Regards
Kit

jcf

The Brits had a radar equipped anti-nightfighter turret, the Frazer-Nash FN-121, so why not the Nazzies?
;)

The scanning system had the rather amusing name of Village Inn.
;D

Automatic Gun-Laying Turret

PR19_Kit

Very similar in purpose, yes, although the 'Village Inn' system looks a lot more practical from the size point of view.

The 'HR gerät' looks like a toy by comparison.

Regards
Kit