Main Menu

P-89 Ultra Lighting

Started by Wardukw, July 11, 2023, 04:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

I saw a pic online of what im gonna do here ,,,but i aint showing you guys as i havent got the damn pics on this comp ..but i will  ;D
Heres the prestart pics of all the bits ...
DSCF4293 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4294 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4295 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

A P-38 with big radials? Howard Hughes would be appalled!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

And swap the Allisons onto the Jugs, as the start of the Chrysler-engined H version?

Just a thought...  ;)

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kerick on July 11, 2023, 09:42:59 PMA P-38 with big radials? Howard Hughes would be appalled!

That would be called a P-58...?

Wardukw

Oh gentlemens it's gonna be alot more ..so much more.
Ken is bang on the money..it's getting big radials for sure but there's alot then that 🙃
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Vulcan7

looks like it's going to be epic  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Wardukw

Tophe mate theres no jets on this bird ..just over 4800 Hp of big arse engines ..well since these are the M version of the P47 that would be 5600Hp  ;D

Vostoc, that's what I'm seeing in my head to..big bad and brutal ..oh its gonna be a night figther too   ;)

jcf

The larger CH-5 turbosupercharger was the main source of the increased horsepower of the R-2800
variant used in the P-47M. Are you going to keep the turbos in the same location as those of the P-38? 

Wardukw

Quote from: jcf on July 14, 2023, 08:15:04 AMThe larger CH-5 turbosupercharger was the main source of the increased horsepower of the R-2800
variant used in the P-47M. Are you going to keep the turbos in the same location as those of the P-38?
Ya know Jon I was thinking about that and with what I'm going to do the original ones will remain in place but for something different the P-38s turbos would be very a different alternative 🤔 😏 😉

Tophe

How? How? :unsure:  :unsure:  (good teasing) ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Wardukw

Tophe I'll be probably using both..twin turboed R-2800 engines..combat horse power would be close to 3000 plus ...but that would also be with water/methanol injection.

Scotaidh

I will be eagerly watching this.  :) 

I always wondered why no-one ever re-engined a Lightning with Bristol Centarus engines - can you image those 5-bladed props on handed Centaruses? (Centarui?)  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Wardukw

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Those engines with counter-rotating props on a P-38..oh mumma..those could or couldn't work 🤔 😆
Keeping my options open here  :wacko:

I just thought up the landing gear for this..the front will remain but the rears will have twin wheels per strut or leg however folks want to call it 😉

Propellers will be 4 bladed but I'm not sure if they will be paddle or slim type bladed props...I'll see which looks better..im thinking slim .

jcf

Quote from: Wardukw on July 15, 2023, 02:08:14 AMTophe I'll be probably using both..twin turboed R-2800 engines..combat horse power would be close to 3000 plus ...but that would also be with water/methanol injection.
Where would you mount another pair of turbosuperchargers?

The P-47 turbosupercharger is mounted in the aft fuselage, the P-38 doesn't have the room to mount
another set and how would you duct the exhaust to spin two separate remotely mounted turbines and
then conduct the compressed air back to the engine?

A two-stage turbosupercharger system would require a very complicated exhaust system, and as the
R-2800 engine already has an integral supercharger, it'd end up as a three-stage system.
;D 
Sorry that my question about location was unclear, what I was asking is if your R-2800 powered aircraft
would have its new larger turbosuperchargers mounted in the same location as a stock P-38.

One thing to understand about the turbosupercharger is that it wasn't so much about increasing power as
it was about maintaining power output as altitude increased. Turbosupercharging on aircraft is not the same
as turbosupercharging on a car. 

You cannot view this attachment.
P-47 induction system.

P-38 through P-38H. The intercooler is the leading edge of the outer wings, the P-38J
introduced the deep chin with the intercoolers mounted under the engine. The radiators
were in the booms on all models.

The P-38 used the B-series GE turbosupercharger, the P-47M used the CH-5,
which is larger in all dimensions, as the drawing makes clear.

But wait, there's more ...
When Lockheed was working on the Constitution, which was to be R-4360 Wasp Major engined, they
designed a rather neatly packaged 7-stage axial compressor turbosupercharger for the aircraft, the
compressor was driven by the turbine section of a B-series turbosupercharger and it exhausted via
a jet-type pipe and nozzle. The compressor was 10" in diameter and the entire package, sans exit
pipe/nozzle but including intake bullet, was ~ 35" long and it was to be mounted under the engine.

In udda woids it would probably fit in the bottom of the P-47 cowling in place of the existing intake.
As to where to mount the intercoolers, perhaps in place of the stock P-38 turbosuperchargers, put 
an intake scoop on top, with exhaust vents on the bottom of the boom even with the trailing edge
of the wing.

p.s. the P-38 had counter-rotating propellers, which is not the same thing as contra-rotating propellers.
;)
The only P-38 variant that didn't have handed, counter-rotating propellers was the Lightning I/P-322-I
and this was only because the Anglo-French Purchasing Commission had specified the same C-40 version
of the Allison V-1710 that powered the Curtiss Type 87 Hawks they had on order. Thus the Lightning I was
lower powered and more difficult to fly with both propellers having the same rotation. Lockheed expressed
misgivings about what was ordered, but the customer is always right.
;) ;D