Peruvian Lightnings

Started by Geoff, July 12, 2023, 02:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

In 1966 the UK offered Lightnings to Peru.   :wub:

The Wooksta!

They did have Hunters and Cranberries, so it's not that much of a stretch. But Lightning was *VERY* maintenance heavy, could the Peruvians keep up with it?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 12, 2023, 03:05:35 PMThey did have Hunters and Cranberries, so it's not that much of a stretch. But Lightning was *VERY* maintenance heavy, could the Peruvians keep up with it?

UK could quite well have set up a semi-official holding company in order to provide maintenance crews etc. MOD/FO were quite fond of the practice back in the day. All part of the deal.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 13, 2023, 05:51:56 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 12, 2023, 03:05:35 PMThey did have Hunters and Cranberries, so it's not that much of a stretch. But Lightning was *VERY* maintenance heavy, could the Peruvians keep up with it?

UK could quite well have set up a semi-official holding company in order to provide maintenance crews etc. MOD/FO were quite fond of the practice back in the day. All part of the deal.

..........as with the Saudi Lightnings.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Geoff

I was thinking an F2A in desert cammo  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

The Wooksta!

Not plausible, as the F2As were RAF aircraft brought up to F6 standard by BAC and 60 MU. Any exports would be new builds by BAC, and most likely the F.53 export version of the F6.

Desert camo F53?  Fine, as you 've Saudi and Kuwait to play with, and any Peruvian Lightnings would be the same as the Saudi ones.  I'll throw in desert camo Libyan, as they'd signed a deal with BAC  for Lightnings and Strikemasters only for Khadaffi to upset the apple cart.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitbasher

Don't believe the Kuwaitis ever camouflaged their Lightnings.  Saw pretty much all the survivors in country 20-odd years ago and none of them had ever  seen a lick of paint (apart from national markings, anti-glare panel and servicing stencils).

Mind you, I doubt any had enjoyed any TLC in the twenty-odd years before then.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Geoff

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 13, 2023, 12:40:54 PMNot plausible, as the F2As were RAF aircraft brought up to F6 standard by BAC and 60 MU. Any exports would be new builds by BAC, and most likely the F.53 export version of the F6.

Desert camo F53?  Fine, as you 've Saudi and Kuwait to play with, and any Peruvian Lightnings would be the same as the Saudi ones.  I'll throw in desert camo Libyan, as they'd signed a deal with BAC  for Lightnings and Strikemasters only for Khadaffi to upset the apple cart.

Ah Thank you  :thumbsup:

jcf

Quote from: Geoff on July 13, 2023, 12:13:29 PMI was thinking an F2A in desert cammo  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Why would a FAP Lightning be in desert cammo? :unsure:

scooter

Quote from: jcf on July 13, 2023, 02:50:46 PM
Quote from: Geoff on July 13, 2023, 12:13:29 PMI was thinking an F2A in desert cammo  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Why would a FAP Lightning be in desert cammo? :unsure:
Sechura Desert, which is, essentially, the entire Pacific coast of Peru, and about the northern 1/3-1/2 of coastal Chile.  Perhaps either Pinochet or Alvarado (Peru's military leader in the early 70s) are contemplating a modern War of the Pacific
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

I'm aware of the geography and that PAF Canberra, Mirage and Su-22 have been in brown and sand schemes,
but their air-superiority MiG-21s are not and I honestly don't see Lightnings being used in an attack role, even
in an earlier time setting. Too expensive to risk in the attack role.

The Wooksta!

I did start a Hasegawa Lightning F6, intending it to be Libyan in desert camo, but it got repurposed as a developed tactical bomber.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Geoff

Quote from: jcf on July 13, 2023, 04:43:28 PMI'm aware of the geography and that PAF Canberra, Mirage and Su-22 have been in brown and sand schemes,
but their air-superiority MiG-21s are not and I honestly don't see Lightnings being used in an attack role, even
in an earlier time setting. Too expensive to risk in the attack role.

I was basing it on the Mirage 2000P scheme. But you are correct in that their Mig-29SMTs are in standard Russian air defence scheme