AC-119 Gunship, Turbo Shadow *withdrawn*

Started by sandiego89, July 15, 2023, 10:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

With an urgent need to replace the venerable and vulnerable AC-47 "Spooky" and augment the newly created AC-130, the U.S. Air Force turned to the C-119 to create the AC-119 "Shadow" under the Project Gunship III project where 26 C-119's were configured as gunships.  Additional airframes were converted as "Stingers" with additional weapons and jet pod boosters. 

Like the AC-47 before it, the C-119 was underpowered, with dubious single engine performance, so a program to fit turboprops to the AC-119 was initiated. 

Kit: Italeri, 1/72 AC-119K Gun Ship, Stinger/Shadow

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Wardukw

Oh this is gonna be quite cool 😎 👌
I had the C-119 donkeys yrs ago and I'm glad to see it's still around  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

McColm

If you heat up the engine cowlings on the AC-119 the turboprop engine from the C-130 slips through the hole and then before it cools down you can mould it into shape. I did something very similar on my Vietnam Neptune.

Old Wombat

Not the same but in a similar vein for this, now, very old build, using E-2C Hawkeye engines mounted inverted into the original nacelles:

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Damn dude..very very nice 👌 😍
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

sandiego89

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 15, 2023, 11:20:12 AMNot the same but in a similar vein for this, now, very old build, using E-2C Hawkeye engines mounted inverted into the original nacelles:

Wow, very impressive!
Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

I like that idea.  :thumbsup:

I did a stock AC-119 many years ago and it's a large, impressive model in 1/72.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

I've acquired a Hasegawa Martin Marlin seaplane and I've considered adding turbo props as an upgrade. Those Hawkeye props would awesome on anything.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

loupgarou

Will be an impressive build.
And Wombat's one is fantastic.  :thumbsup:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 15, 2023, 11:47:42 AMI like that idea.  :thumbsup:

I did a stock AC-119 many years ago and it's a large, impressive model in 1/72.

Certainly is.

Looking forward to this.

<popcorn>
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sandiego89

Quote from: kerick on July 15, 2023, 01:14:18 PMI've acquired a Hasegawa Martin Marlin seaplane and I've considered adding turbo props as an upgrade.

Me too, was going to do another Marlin for this GB, but I had done one for the Gunship GB not so long ago, and thought it was too soon to do another.  Very nice kit of an impressive aircraft.  Goes together well. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on July 15, 2023, 02:51:31 PMWill be an impressive build.

Agree with both the gentleman's comments  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 16, 2023, 06:31:27 AM

You do realize you are the only one that ever called me a gentleman???  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kerick

Stop with the dirty names you guys!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on July 16, 2023, 10:03:38 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 16, 2023, 06:31:27 AM

You do realize you are the only one that ever called me a gentleman???  ;D

Always prepared to offer the benefit of the doubt  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.