Tempest Mk II No 3

Started by NARSES2, July 16, 2023, 06:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Busy painting the internals at the moment, which if I'm honest is a bit of a waste of time given the size of the cockpit opening. However I just can't get out of the habit of spending time on innards/detail painting, probably goes back to my old figure painting days. Still I find it quite relaxing.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

This will be the same as my other post Chris..I know..patience 😂
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 19, 2023, 12:01:45 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 18, 2023, 10:22:35 PMI passed on an available Heritage conversion when I got hold of a spare Matchbox Mk.II front end and wings.

Be advised, the Matchbox cowling isn't a perfect match to the Heller kit as it's a smidgen larger in diameter - only about 0.5 - 1.0 mm all round, but it's noticeable.  :-\
I shoulda kept my M'box kit, but 20/20 hindsight...

Ah well, it's another off the 'wanted' list, anyway.
And when I decide on a user/scheme, it'll stand a good chance of getting finished!  ;D

Many years back I dropped the front end of the Mbox Tempest into rubber and grafted the results onto aHeller one.  IIRC, I did need some splices but it certainly looked the part.

Yup, agree it looks the part.  :thumbsup:
I thought I'd checked for fit beforehand, but when the time came to glue the nose on, the fuselage was well and truly set and I didn't think of splints... ah well, never mind.
Although I could always go back and perform some tweaks... hmm, maybe not.

zenrat

I just found a bagged Airfix Typhoon 1b I forgot I had.  How hard could it be to fit a KP Centaurus nose for an in service bubble top Tornado?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

IIRC the Centaurus Tornado had a very different set up (and the wing is either higher or lower, I don't recall which), but I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Better as a prototype, as I'd use the new tool Airfix Typhoon for any production version as it would definitely have the bigger Tempest tailplanes.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw on July 20, 2023, 11:07:55 AMThis will be the same as my other post Chris..I know..patience 😂

Whence the same reply  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 21, 2023, 04:57:49 AMI just found a bagged Airfix Typhoon 1b I forgot I had.  How hard could it be to fit a KP Centaurus nose for an in service bubble top Tornado?

I was musing on the very same thing this morning whilst in the coffee shop. I've built a Vulture engined one, so that would complete the line-up.

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 21, 2023, 07:47:43 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on July 20, 2023, 11:07:55 AMThis will be the same as my other post Chris..I know..patience 😂

Whence the same reply  ;D
😄😄😄 ..same as me  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

I now have a completed airframe and can confirm that the method I've used to build it is far, far better than that suggested by AZ/KP.

So if you want a Tempest II, assemble two fuselage halves, fit the cockpit and glue the fuselage halves together. Then whittle the engine to fit (you can't see anything of it anyway behind that huge spinner and backing plate when it's finished) and drop the engine in place once the fuselage is together. You'll have very little psr to do and you don't destroy the detail you would do using the AZ/KP methodology.

Rick Lowe

Good to know for future reference, thanks Chris.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

As mentioned in my Blog the mojo returned this week and I managed to make a bit of progress with this. She's been primed in Halford's white as hopefully that will make some of the ID marking required for my chosen scheme easier to do. I looked at using transfer strips, but figured it would be easier to paint and mask. So hopefully this will start to see some paint in the next couple of weeks.

NARSES2

Managed to make a start on the masking, so hopefully progress is being made.

NARSES2

Found the specific paints I wanted in the stash and thankfully they hadn't dried out after a few years non use  :thumbsup:  So painting is progressing. I would like to get her done for and take at least one model to Telford, but there are a few other "important" things that may interfere with that plan We shall see.

NARSES2

Managed to get both the upper and lower surface colours on and I even managed to remove the quite extensive masking. Much to my surprise the painted theatre ID markings only need one or two touch ups. :thumbsup:

I forgot how quickly Lifecolor drys, but on the downside it dries extremely matt and will require a couple of coats of Klear at least before transfer can be applied.