Tempest Mk II No 3

Started by NARSES2, July 16, 2023, 06:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Well after struggling with the engine/fuselage fit on my previous 2 KP Tempest II's I decided to tackle this third one differently. Rather than follow the instructions which would have you construct the engine/cowling and then fit that to the assembled fuselage, which is a nightmare, I decided to construct 2 complete fuselage halves and then whittle the engine down to fit that. You can see very little detail of the engine anyway behind that huge spinner and front plate.

Well I'm happy to say that it works  :thumbsup:  which means that I could be building a couple more Mk II's as it's one of my favourite aircraft, I may even get around to building my Eduard 1/48 scale one  ;D

Here's the 2 fuselage halves and engine, little bit easier to understand what I've done, probably.

You cannot view this attachment.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

The Wooksta!

I'm curious to know if the resin front from the Special Hobby atrocity (or possibly the CMR) would fit, rather than cut the engine back.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Wardukw

Made a plan..executed it perfectly..can't get better than that  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

So you glued the cowling halves to the fuselage halves before joining them?
Interesting.
I have one KP Tempest left.  The outcome of this build might decide if it gets a Centaurus or an Eagle.

<popcorn>
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 17, 2023, 04:58:05 AMSo you glued the cowling halves to the fuselage halves before joining them?

Precisely

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Matchbox Tempest II.

Just sayin' 😉😉
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on July 17, 2023, 07:37:52 AMMatchbox Tempest II.

Just sayin' 😉😉

I know, but I've never actually seen one up for sale. Admittedly I've never looked and I do have a Heritage conversion set in the stash, which was intended for the Academy kit, although might fit the Airfix kit ?

Made a bit of progress with this today and now I've decided on my methodology it's going quite well, touching all the wood going.

The Wooksta!

That Heritage conversion is just a warmed over Matchbox front end and wing inserts dropped into rubber.  I'm curious to see if it would fit a normal KP or even ye olde Heller kit.

If I'd known you'd wanted a Matchbox one, I'd have not sold my last sealed one a few weeks back. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap one.

TBH, it's not that bad a kit. New vac form canopy and a decent cockpit interior is all it really needs, possibly some new wheels. The engine front needs some rounding off as it's a bit square.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Rick Lowe

I passed on an available Heritage conversion when I got hold of a spare Matchbox Mk.II front end and wings.

Be advised, the Matchbox cowling isn't a perfect match to the Heller kit as it's a smidgen larger in diameter - only about 0.5 - 1.0 mm all round, but it's noticeable.  :-\
I shoulda kept my M'box kit, but 20/20 hindsight...

Ah well, it's another off the 'wanted' list, anyway.
And when I decide on a user/scheme, it'll stand a good chance of getting finished!  ;D

buzzbomb

All very interested in the process on this, the cowling glue prior to joining is an interesting move.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 18, 2023, 10:22:35 PMI passed on an available Heritage conversion when I got hold of a spare Matchbox Mk.II front end and wings.

Be advised, the Matchbox cowling isn't a perfect match to the Heller kit as it's a smidgen larger in diameter - only about 0.5 - 1.0 mm all round, but it's noticeable.  :-\
I shoulda kept my M'box kit, but 20/20 hindsight...

Ah well, it's another off the 'wanted' list, anyway.
And when I decide on a user/scheme, it'll stand a good chance of getting finished!  ;D

Many years back I dropped the front end of the Mbox Tempest into rubber and grafted the results onto aHeller one.  IIRC, I did need some splices but it certainly looked the part.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 18, 2023, 06:43:18 AMIf I'd known you'd wanted a Matchbox one, I'd have not sold my last sealed one a few weeks back. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap one.

Don't worry Lee, as long as this goes together ok then KP will satisfy my Mk II needs.  :thumbsup:

The Wooksta!

TBH, I did consider dropping the Heritage one into rubber, but never got round to it.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: