Main Menu

Northrop N-102 Fang

Started by mat, July 25, 2023, 03:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat

In late 1952, Northrop started a design study for a simple, lightweight, supersonic fighter aircraft, the N-102 Fang. The project was an attempt to tackle the growing weight, complexity and cost of fighter aircraft. USAF did in the end chose the Lockheed F-104 as a replacement for the F-100. But Northrop stuck to the idea of a lightweight fighter aircraft and in the following years it developed into the F-5 series.

You cannot view this attachment.

But what-if the Fang had been the choice of USAF. Then Fang would have been produced in the thousands and have seen service with myriads of air forces.

My build will be a re-engine from four engines to one engine, as the build will be based on the wing (and maybe some other pieces) of a 1/144 Academy B-58A Hustler. This will be supplemented with whatever I can find on my scrapyard.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 25, 2023, 04:04:33 AM<popcorn>

Me too, that Fang's an interesting and elegant shape.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

This im gonna like right room then get go 😁🤙
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Fantastic! A very sexy looking aircraft!
You could do one as a developed version with a larger nose for a radar and other bits like what happened to the F-16 and F-18.
I have a small scale Hustler too and this is a great project for it. Another for the to do list.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

comrade harps

This is a lot more than a re-engining project. l look forward to seeing it cone together.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

63cpe

Oh, that's a sexy looking aircraft. I' m following to see how you're going to tackle the fuselage. Obvious choice to use a b-58 wing as it's a good start.

David aka 63CPE

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 25, 2023, 04:50:29 AM
Quote from: zenrat on July 25, 2023, 04:04:33 AM<popcorn>

Me too, that Fang's an interesting and elegant shape.  :thumbsup:

Ditto - cute li'l thing...

kerick

What engine did it have? J79?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

mat

Quote from: kerick on July 25, 2023, 11:00:40 PMWhat engine did it have? J79?
You are spot on - A General Electric J79-GE-1 with 9.300 lbs thrust dry - 14.400 lbs thrust with afterburner.

The Wooksta!

Fuselage?  Ye olde KP Su-25 Frog foot.  Looks to have the same slab sided fuselage and the KP kit has separate engines. Plastic is quite thick IIRC, so that may help.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

mat

First step in the build is the conversion of the wing. The trailing edge of the N-102 wing formed a straight line.

Zero-Sen

Can I suggest something along those lines?
Quote from: Zero-Sen on February 11, 2018, 11:16:01 AMSome scale-o-rama with two J79 in a single engine pod, inspired by the B-58 used as a flying testbed for the GE J-93 ...

NARSES2

I wasn't aware of this project, it's a very elegant design  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"