Main Menu

Northrop N-102 Fang

Started by mat, July 25, 2023, 03:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat

The wing of the 1/144 B-58 is now turned into the shape of the 1/72 Northrop FANG. The fin of the B-58 is already nearly in the shape of the FANG and only needs a few adjustments.

You cannot view this attachment.

Wardukw

Very sort of similar to what I did with my build on a beast like this Mat.
I used the entire B-58 wing with fuselage minus the cockpits for a build I called the Python.
This is different to mine tho and I'm liking where it's going  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

mat

Quote from: Wardukw on August 20, 2023, 10:55:33 AMVery sort of similar to what I did with my build on a beast like this Mat.
I used the entire B-58 wing with fuselage minus the cockpits for a build I called the Python.

Did you keep all four engines?

Wardukw

Quote from: mat on August 20, 2023, 12:16:19 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 20, 2023, 10:55:33 AMVery sort of similar to what I did with my build on a beast like this Mat.

Did you keep all four engines?
Nope 😄..I cut the wings in half and built the new engines into the wings then blended them together.
Since it's a pain to post a link with a phone is ya scroll thru the Aircraft pages you'll find the build  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

mat

The first step in creating the lower fuselage. It's based on a 16 mm plastic tube used in electrical installations. It can only be bought in lengths of two meters. So now I have enough for a lifetime of conversions.

Wardukw

Same as the engines on mine Mat.. electrical tubing from our pile here at the camp .
Luckily I can buy it by the metre here if I need to.

mat

In my immense scrapyard I have found some pieces to be incorporated in the fuselage. The pieces come from a old, crashed Airfix F-5E.

Wardukw

Quote from: mat on August 26, 2023, 04:51:37 AMIn my immense scrapyard I have found some pieces to be incorporated in the fuselage. The pieces come from a old, crashed Airfix F-5E.

Score!!!  ;D  ;D
That's what we say here in NZ when we find something we knew we had but couldn't find...or...when we get something super useful for bugger all coins 😉

buzzbomb

Yep... this is coming along very nicely

kerick

Are you going to area rule the fuselage? It was discovered in April 1952 so possibly. The lack of it nearly killed the F-102 as it just would not go supersonic. The Fang looks supersonic just sitting there.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

mat

Northrops mock-up from 1953 don't show any area rule of the fuselage. I guess that Northrops engineers just hadn't heard the news at that time.  As they further developed the light weight fighter concept area rule came into the picture and the end result of the development line (the T-38 and F-5) got a lot of area rule. As I stick to the original proposal, there will be no area rule on my N-102 FANG.

mat

The engine/fuselage have now been glued to the wings. More PSR ahead.

Old Wombat

You don't mind making a whole lot of work for yourself, do you! :o  :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Quote from: mat on September 17, 2023, 10:30:09 AMThe engine/fuselage have now been glued to the wings. More PSR ahead.

Mat we would call that a massive understatement   ;D  ;D

mat

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 17, 2023, 04:50:11 PMYou don't mind making a whole lot of work for yourself, do you! :o  :o

I'm used to make a lot of work for myselff. Put my first aircraft kit together about 60 years ago - An Airfix P-38 - Lots og glue and fingerprints all over the plane. And to make that mess into a decent model took a lot of work.