Main Menu

Northrop N-102 Fang

Started by mat, July 25, 2023, 03:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on September 21, 2023, 02:53:22 PMYou cannot view this attachment.

From the ridiculous to the sublime  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

mat

Quote from: kerick on September 20, 2023, 02:16:51 PMRecreating that weathering would be quite a challenge.

I tried my luck on a SAAB RF-35 Draken and a Hunter F. 51 some years ago. The Hunters faded more evenly than the Drakens. The Hunters were in service at ESK 724 until march 1974. At that time they were rather outdated but still great for low-level-dogfighting. ESK 724 were based at Skrydstrup AB, where ESK 730 (my squadron) were the neighbours. 730 flew F-100s, which were big, heavy and needed almost the whole runway to get airborne. The Hunter-boys liked to show off, so they got airborne using less than a third of the runway. Then they would quicly retract the undercarriage and make a sharp low-level turn, so they would pass over the squadron area of 730. Just to show, that they were the real fighter pilots.

You cannot view this attachment.

mat

The FANG have made some progress. But still a lot of PSR to be done.

PR19_Kit

It's looking very good so far.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Damn that Draken turned out good 👍
That's alot of work there ..so tempted on my 104 now 🤔

The Fang is looking better every time I see it  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Pellson

Quote from: mat on September 25, 2023, 06:59:25 AM
Quote from: kerick on September 20, 2023, 02:16:51 PMRecreating that weathering would be quite a challenge.

I tried my luck on a SAAB RF-35 Draken and a Hunter F. 51 some years ago. The Hunters faded more evenly than the Drakens. The Hunters were in service at ESK 724 until march 1974. At that time they were rather outdated but still great for low-level-dogfighting. ESK 724 were based at Skrydstrup AB, were ESK 730 (my squadron) were the neighbours. 730 flew F-100s, which were big, heavy and needed almost the whole runway to get airborne. The Hunter-boys liked to show off, so they got airborne using less than a third of the runway. Then they would quicly retract the undercarriage and make a sharp low-level turn, so they would pass over the squadron area of 730. Just to show, that they were the real fighter pilots.

The Fang is turning out great, but your two "dirty Danes" are impressively painted,  :wub:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

kerick

Quote from: Pellson on September 25, 2023, 12:19:45 PM

I tried my luck on a SAAB RF-35 Draken and a Hunter F. 51 some years ago. The Hunters faded more evenly than the Drakens. The Hunters were in service at ESK 724 until march 1974. At that time they were rather outdated but still great for low-level-dogfighting. ESK 724 were based at Skrydstrup AB, were ESK 730 (my squadron) were the neighbours. 730 flew F-100s, which were big, heavy and needed almost the whole runway to get airborne. The Hunter-boys liked to show off, so they got airborne using less than a third of the runway. Then they would quicly retract the undercarriage and make a sharp low-level turn, so they would pass over the squadron area of 730. Just to show, that they were the real fighter pilots.

The Fang is turning out great, but your two "dirty Danes" are impressively painted,  :wub:

The Fang is looking awesome. It's really coming together.
One question. Did that paint on those aircraft that faded so badly on the upper surfaces stay the original color on the undersides? I like the faded aircraft with brand new looking fuel tanks.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

mat

Quote from: kerick on September 25, 2023, 03:24:29 PM

One question. Did that paint on those aircraft that faded so badly on the upper surfaces stay the original color on the undersides? I like the faded aircraft with brand new looking fuel tanks.

The parts of the planes, that were not exposed to direct sunlight kept the original colour - almost. All ground equipment were painted with the same SM67 paint. And of course they faded in the sun!

On the picture of F-100 you might be able to see the original green on the underside and the droptanks. But you can also se, that the paint were not resistant to the heat from the afterburner.

zenrat

That seems to be a common look on Huns.  Fun to replicate.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

Quote from: mat on September 26, 2023, 01:55:29 AM

The parts of the planes, that were not exposed to direct sunlight kept the original colour - almost. All ground equipment were painted with the same SM67 paint. And of course they faded in the sun!

On the picture of F-100 you might be able to see the original green on the underside and the droptanks. But you can also se, that the paint were not resistant to the heat from the afterburner.

Either the paint burned off or it was not painted at all on all the Huns. It's a challenge to paint the burnt titanium look.
Something to add to the FANG?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on September 25, 2023, 12:19:45 PMThe Fang is turning out great, but your two "dirty Danes" are impressively painted,  :wub:

They really are  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

That burnt-burner area is so archetypal 'Danish Hun'.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

mat

Quote from: kerick on September 26, 2023, 06:07:55 AM
Quote from: mat on September 26, 2023, 01:55:29 AM

Either the paint burned off or it was not painted at all on all the Huns. It's a challenge to paint the burnt titanium look.
Something to add to the FANG?

The part were painted but burned off by the heat from the afterburner

buzzbomb

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 26, 2023, 08:48:59 AMThat burnt-burner area is so archetypal 'Danish Hun'.  :thumbsup:
Every Hun was like that ..a very cool but hard to duplicate detail on a model ..seen some ture masterful work done on those..so jealous  <_<
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .