Main Menu

Northrop N-102 Fang

Started by mat, July 25, 2023, 03:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

How's the FANG coming along?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

mat

Quote from: kerick on October 02, 2023, 08:31:34 PMHow's the FANG coming along?

The FANG are moving ahead - slowly. I've just been in Copenhagen to visit my daugthers and some of my grandchildren. Which means a lot of physical exercise on different playgrounds. The FANG have now got the tailplanes, canopy and the start of the paintjob. Still some way to go.

You cannot view this attachment.

Vulcan7

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Rick Lowe

perttime

I thought it looked good without the tailplane - but I suppose it belongs there.

Pellson

Quote from: perttime on October 03, 2023, 09:36:08 PMI thought it looked good without the tailplane - but I suppose it belongs there.

My thought exactly.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

mat

Quote from: Pellson on October 04, 2023, 12:35:29 AM
Quote from: perttime on October 03, 2023, 09:36:08 PMI thought it looked good without the tailplane - but I suppose it belongs there.

My thought exactly.  :thumbsup:

It belongs there!

CammNut

It belongs for sure. But is it big enough to haul that big wing around? On the Fang mock-up the point where the leading edge meets the fuselage looks to be almost directly under the trailing edge of the wing.

Pellson

Quote from: mat on October 04, 2023, 01:26:25 PM
Quote from: Pellson on October 04, 2023, 12:35:29 AMMy thought exactly.  :thumbsup:
It belongs there!

I think all we meant was that the model LOOKS good enough without.

Looking at your pic, though, the stabilator is placed in line with or even slightly below the trailing edge of the wing, and that makes sense as it, during positive load at least, wouldn't be shadowed aerodynamically by the wing. On the model - not so much. And that looks somewhat weird. In my eyes, that is. It's still an amazing build
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

perttime

Quote from: CammNut on October 04, 2023, 04:00:31 PMIt belongs for sure. But is it big enough to haul that big wing around? On the Fang mock-up the point where the leading edge meets the fuselage looks to be almost directly under the trailing edge of the wing.
It is an all moving tailplane. The delta wing extends pretty far towards the tail, so I was guesstimating that surfaces on the wing would do it.

I wonder if the wing surfaces were supposed to be working together with the all moving tailplane.

CammNut

Chord looked a bit narrow to me. But it's deceptive. Fang did have a pretty narrow-chord stabilator. 

kerick

I think it's just because most of us are not used to seeing swept tail planes on a delta like that. Mirage, F-102, F-106 and even the B-58. Then there is the MiG-21 and F-16 that have a longer fuselage after the wing. It's just a matter of what a person is used to seeing.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

mat

Quote from: Pellson on October 04, 2023, 10:48:31 PM
Quote from: mat on October 04, 2023, 01:26:25 PM
Quote from: Pellson on October 04, 2023, 12:35:29 AMMy thought exactly.  :thumbsup:
It belongs there!

I think all we meant was that the model LOOKS good enough without.

Looking at your pic, though, the stabilator is placed in line with or even slightly below the trailing edge of the wing, and that makes sense as it, during positive load at least, wouldn't be shadowed aerodynamically by the wing. On the model - not so much. And that looks somewhat weird. In my eyes, that is. It's still an amazing build

I CONFESS !!!
The tailplanes should have been placed lower down. But scrapbuilding sometimes means you have to adapt to reality. In this case the fuselage end (Made of the front of the 1/144 B-58) simply wasn't deep enough.
So in my what-if world test flights pointed to this unorthodox position  :rolleyes: