The inaugural Finish It Group Build (FIGB) rules

Started by NARSES2, July 29, 2023, 07:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

A few months back when we were discussion the Group Build rules were got mired in the question of what constitutes a part started build and the consensus reached was that we should finish this as a separate subject and look at the idea of a dedicated Group Build.

I said I'd come back with some draft rules for discussion so here they are.

No hurry at the moment, it's really an exercise in seeing if there's enough enthusiasm in the clear light of day to proceed with this.

Thanks for your time

Chris

The inaugural Finish It Group Build (FIGB) rules

1.   The inaugural Finish It Group Build (FIGB) begins 00:01 1 January 2024 and ends 23:59 31 December 2024 (all times local).  There will be no extension to this rule – choose your resurrected builds wisely!

2.   FIGB 2024 is only open to unfinished items that have been posted on the forum prior to 31 December 2022 (they don't necessarily have to have been in a previous GB) but which for some reason haven't been worked on seriously since then and are gathering dust on the 'pending' shelf.  You may enter as many previously stalled entries as you like at any time during the FIGB, however links to the original build thread and an 'as stalled' picture must be posted in your initial entry post.  Please PM the Moderators if you're in any doubt as to what is eligible for inclusion in the FIGB. 

3.   The posting of in-progress pictures is of course welcome (indeed encouraged), but when posting your finished entries in the Finished Entries thread can you please restrict yourselves to a maximum of three images.  Further images of the finished item(s) can be viewed in the 'in progress' thread by means of a link to that thread.  Back stories - however long or short - supporting physical models and profiles are also welcome and can accompany what is posted in the Finished Entries thread. 

4.   Any comments regarding works in progress should be added to the 'in progress' thread rather than in the Finished Entries thread as this helps the Moderator(s) when it comes to setting up the vote.

5.   Work on unfinished items intended as FIGB entries should not be resumed until the FIGB has begun.

6.   No rule 6 – even if it was Rule 7 in Ye Olde GBs.

7.   Kitbasher has volunteered to act as Moderator, ably supported by me.

8.   The Finished Entries thread will be locked at the end of the GB and shortly afterwards the poll will be set up.  Only those items posted in the Finished Entries thread before it is locked will be eligible for the poll.  The number of votes per forum member will be based upon a ratio of one vote per three entries (rounded up or down to the nearest whole number).

9.   The first three placed entries in the FIGB will automatically be nominated for a Whiffy in the specific Group Build Class.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Looks great to me, but I must have around a dozen candidates for the GB!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 29, 2023, 07:21:25 AMLooks great to me, but I must have around a dozen candidates for the GB!  :o

Well, if it's an annual event you'll have up to 12 years of builds to enter. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

63cpe

I'm absolutely in favour of this GB idea. I have several projects on the stalled projects shelf, neatly tucked away. Previously I didn't make pictures nor published them as some projects were sort of prone to stalling as they're complex or just an undercooked idea. Making pictures of these projects while not having a name made me feel a little ashamed as I really want to finish the project, but I can't because of losing interest or shifting priorities to other, less complicated projects. By participating I might get some of these finally done.

David aka 63CPE

NARSES2

Quote from: 63cpe on July 30, 2023, 12:10:16 AMBy participating I might get some of these finally done.

David aka 63CPE

I think that's part of the main reasoning behind the idea David. :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

Fantastic idea. I am very glad.
The problem will be to find the humongous number of my unfinished models in all the forum topics.  :o
As I am deep in train layout building I won't have problems in NOT touching started kits this year...

NOTE: are models started long before internet existed, and presented here in the forum, and promptly forgotten again, eligible?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Do the stalled builds have to have been entered in a GB or simply posted somewhere here?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

loupgarou

Quote from: zenrat on July 30, 2023, 04:53:55 AMDo the stalled builds have to have been entered in a GB or simply posted somewhere here?

Rule 2  <_<
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kerick

This sounds great to me. I definitely have at least two entries.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

So it's possible to get the 1/72 Convair EB-61 Peacehaven AEW.1 finished next year 🤔 and perhaps two of my other builds. I'm going to need a bigger shelf.

kitbasher

Quote from: zenrat on July 30, 2023, 04:53:55 AMDo the stalled builds have to have been entered in a GB or simply posted somewhere here?

Rule 2 😊
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Quote from: McColm on July 30, 2023, 09:55:12 PMSo it's possible to get the 1/72 Convair EB-61 Peacehaven AEW.1 finished next year 🤔 and perhaps two of my other builds. I'm going to need a bigger shelf.

Nothing to stop you finishing it now mate if you want to.  We can after all build what we want when we want.  We don't have to wait for a GB to come along that our ideas fit into...

Quote from: loupgarou on July 30, 2023, 12:41:03 PM

Rule 2  <_<

So I should seed the forum between now and the end of the year with the builds I might like to enter in the 2025 Finish it GB?   :wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 31, 2023, 04:18:52 AMSo I should seed the forum between now and the end of the year with the builds I might like to enter in the 2025 Finish it GB?   :wacko:

I'm glad we have at least one member who's prepared to think that far ahead  ;D

Old Wombat

I have enough unfinished builds that I don't need to seed this year, or the next ten, to have something to enter for quite a few years to come. :rolleyes:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

This could be annoying but I dont think my builds go back that far  ..oh I think I might..I'll get back to ya 😏 😉
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .