Skypirate aircraft. Anybody ever model it?

Started by seadude, August 01, 2023, 09:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Came across this article on The War Zone. I've never heard of this aircraft before.
Has anyone ever modeled it before? Or does a model kit even exist of it?
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/the-colossal-skypirate-was-a-beast-of-a-carrier-aircraft-design
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Old Wombat

Nope, can't say I had. Thanks for the link, mate! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Kit will love it! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

It was a HUGE aeroplane for a single engine, but it did have LONG wings, so it can't be all bad. And contra-props too!  ;D

Planet Models did it in 1/72, see here :- https://www.scalemates.com/kits/planet-models-plt144-douglas-xtb2d-1-skypirate--137315

And it's included as an extra with Anigrand's 1/144 scale Martin Mariner here :- https://www.scalemates.com/kits/anigrand-craftswork-aa-4035-martin-pbm-3-5-mariner--167320
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I was looking at these just the other day.   Reading on Maulers and Skyraiders led me there.
It's certainly a very imposing aircraft.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I've got the Planet one in the stash and if I ever get around to building it those wings are going to need some serious support.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Some serious flaps as well!  Like an Albatros. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

zenrat

This has got thinking about kitbashing a huge single engined something.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Wardukw

Quote from: zenrat on August 05, 2023, 10:22:13 PMThis has got thinking about kitbashing a huge single engined something.

It's a tempting build subject for certain 🤔
I am already wondering what the base aircraft would be and where to get B-29 props from 😄
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

B17.
Reduce span (to slightly more that the Skypirates 70') and shorten fuselage.  Keep the huge fin and tricycle the undercarriage.

Is a Skyraider prop bigger than a B17s?

Fred

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on August 06, 2023, 04:25:34 AMB17.
Reduce span (to slightly more that the Skypirates 70') and shorten fuselage.  Keep the huge fin and tricycle the undercarriage.

Yes, by about two feet; 13'6" 4 blade Aeroproducts prop versus 11'7" Hamilton Standard three-bladed.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Wardukw

Quote from: scooter on August 06, 2023, 05:17:37 AM

Yes, by about two feet; 13'6" 4 blade Aeroproducts prop versus 11'7" Hamilton Standard three-bladed.
A B-29s blades are 16' 7" (5 m)..so to big im betting but can be cut to size so they are 14'1 like the Skypirates 😉
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

Certainly a bit bigger than the Fairey Spearfish and that is a honkin' big model in 1/72, I have a vacform one built somewhere.

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw on August 06, 2023, 01:21:02 PM

A B-29s blades are 16' 7" (5 m)..so to big im betting but can be cut to size so they are 14'1 like the Skypirates 😉

I meant to type B-29 when asking about prop sizes but put B-17 instead.
I have an Academy C-97 in the stash (future Vixen-03 build) and IIRC it has two sets of props on the sprues.  I assume they are 16'7"?
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: buzzbomb on August 06, 2023, 04:29:59 PMCertainly a bit bigger than the Fairey Spearfish and that is a honkin' big model in 1/72, I have a vacform one built somewhere.

The Planet one weighs a ton (Imperial) as well  ;)

You cannot view this attachment.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Quote from: zenrat on August 07, 2023, 05:05:28 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 06, 2023, 01:21:02 PM

I meant to type B-29 when asking about prop sizes but put B-17 instead.
I have an Academy C-97 in the stash (future Vixen-03 build) and IIRC it has two sets of props on the sprues.  I assume they are 16'7"?

I'd say your good to go mate..the C-97 used B-29 wings ..engines and so on ..the second version used B-50 engines but the props don't seemed to have changed .