Which is a better build? Frog/Revell or Matchbox He 115

Started by The Wooksta!, August 04, 2023, 12:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

I'm not too fussed with accuracy - Matchbox will have deep trenches whilst the Frog one will be a bit woolly and have horrible canopies. And both seem to be roughly the same price on the bidder market.  I just want to build one.

Three were sent to Spain just as the civil war ended but saw little use before they went back to Germany.

Any opinions from those who have built one or the other?

Anyway, time to quote the great man himself.

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

I did an M'box one a zillion years ago, but the only thing I can remember about it was the decals all fell apart, but that won't trouble you as you'll use non-kit ones of course.

In general I found M'box kits easier to build that FROG ones and more accurate too, but they were a generation newer in technology.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Makes me wonder now about the Italeri one ..how's that with prices and how's it match up to the other 2 .
All I remember about mine was it was a pretty easy build and looked the part ...to my eyes anyway .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

killnoizer

I think i have a 1:72  Revell He 115 waterplane in the stash, for kitbashing , U know  ...
I have a look this evening .

It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

Pellson

I've only built the Matchbox one, but twice. I remember it went together reasonably well, but I also remember the propellers really annoying me.

Good luck, mate. Looking forward to see what you'll do with it.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

TsrJoe

having built both back in the days i actually finished models, i recall both kits represent different versions, the Matchbox kit (later sub type used by Finland) builds well although being a bit basic and lacking finesse, the wings being quite slab like, the Frog/Revell kit (earlier version) looking more like a proper model when completed
i guess biggest problem would be finding the kits, not too many on the bay of evil
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Dizzyfugu

When I whiffed my last He 115 (an upgrade with new engines and modded armament) I took a look at the Fraog and the Matchbox kit, and eventually settled for the Matchbox kit because it looked (referring to sprue shots and the instructions) like the better kit. It went together easily - simple details, just what you can expect, but no real pitfalls and good fit, together with good clear parts.

Beermonster58

Quote from: Wardukw on August 04, 2023, 03:51:40 PMMakes me wonder now about the Italeri one ..how's that with prices and how's it match up to the other 2 .
All I remember about mine was it was a pretty easy build and looked the part ...to my eyes anyway .
Didn't know Italeri ever issued an He-115? Happy to stand corrected though. They did produce a CANT Z.506 though which was similar in appearance, albeit a tri motor.  It's an upgraded
 ex Supermodel kit which includes p/e parts and, a decal sheet with six (including RAF) options. Well worth a build. :thumbsup:
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

The Wooksta!

The Z506 is on my shopping list but only when I see it under twenty notes.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Wardukw

Quote from: Beermonster58 on September 08, 2023, 12:14:39 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 04, 2023, 03:51:40 PMMakes me wonder now about the Italeri one ..how's that with prices and how's it match up to the other 2 .
Didn't know Italeri ever issued an He-115? Happy to stand corrected though. They did produce a CANT Z.506 though which was similar in appearance, albeit a tri motor.  It's the ex Supermodel kit and, well worth a build. :thumbsup:
Here's one for ya ..I've never built a Italian model of any kind ..no planes or tanks..cars or bikes..yet ive built dozens of Italeri models 😬
One day tho if I find a cheap Italian model I'll think of getting it..will have to be a tank 🙃
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Beermonster58

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 08, 2023, 12:19:43 AMThe Z506 is on my shopping list but only when I see it under twenty notes.
Good luck with that then. Prices are really silly right now and, if importing from the EU, postage is a real killer. I was lucky as I paid only £22 each for the pair I have but, I've seen prices up to£50 which, is ludicrous. Sorry mate! They're not for sale!. Best of luck in your search though. <_<

Beermonster58

Quote from: Wardukw on September 08, 2023, 12:25:38 AM
Didn't know Italeri ever issued an He-115? Happy to stand corrected though. They did produce a CANT Z.506 though which was similar in appearance, albeit a tri motor.  It's the ex Supermodel kit and, well worth a build. :thumbsup:
Here's one for ya ..I've never built a Italian model of any kind ..no planes or tanks..cars or bikes..yet ive built dozens of Italeri models 😬
One day tho if I find a cheap Italian model I'll think of getting it..will have to be a tank 🙃

Prices for Italeri aircraft kits are pretty silly right now which, is a shame because they do a lot of unusual subjects. Some of which have never been duplicated in I M styrene in the one true scale! ;) .I have several in my electronic shopping list right now but, I'll only buy if I can find at an affordable price. Right now, my (ever increasing) shopping list has five categories (although the final two might really be one and the same?) ;)  ;D  ;
Must have

Could use

Would be nice

You're really having a laugh aren't you

They want WHAT for it?????

Pellson

Quote from: Beermonster58 on September 08, 2023, 12:58:53 AMRight now, my (ever increasing) shopping list has five categories (although the final two might really be one and the same?) ;)  ;D  ;

Must have

Could use

Would be nice

I am relating violently..  ;D  ;D
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Wardukw

Quote from: Beermonster58 on September 08, 2023, 12:58:53 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on September 08, 2023, 12:25:38 AM

Prices for Italeri aircraft kits are pretty silly right now which, is a shame because they do a lot of unusual subjects. Some of which have never been duplicated in I M styrene in the one true scale! ;) .I have several in my electronic shopping list right now but, I'll only buy if I can find at an affordable price. Right now, my (ever increasing) shopping list has five categories (although the final two might really be one and the same?) ;)  ;D  ;
Must have

Could use

Would be nice

Yep I've pretty much got the same list and the last one I've asked so many times it's freaking amazing I haven't lost my voice  ;D

It's like my list for 35th scale tank transporters ..there's 4 or 5 there 🤔  😆

zenrat

The latest Italeri re-pop of the CANT Z.506 has had the moulds updated to engraved detail and includes a PE fret.  So not just a straight re-pop of the 1986 Supermodel mould.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..