Fleet Air Arm Grumman Coot Mk.1 (Duck)

Started by RAFF-35, August 04, 2023, 01:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAFF-35

Grumman Duck in British service under the lend-lease program circa 1942. The Duck was widely known as the Coot Mk.1 in both the Fleet Air Arm and Royal Air Force.
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

PR19_Kit

You mean we DIDN'T have any?  :o

I just assumed we did, I've watched 'Murphy's War' too many times I guess.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Yeah that's very nice 👌 👍 😊
Very nicely executed work on a very uncommon subject 😄😄
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

63cpe

Erm, is this real world?  Sure? It looks so correct and plausible.

These colors suit the Duck very well! It inspires me to do the sea typhoon I'm working on in the same colours.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Congrats on the model.

David aka 63CPE

RAFF-35

To the best of my knowledge, we never had any Ducks at all (other that the one in Murphy's War). It's one of those where you genuinely question why it's not a real world build 😄

Wardukw

Quote from: RAFF-35 on August 05, 2023, 12:27:27 AMTo the best of my knowledge, we never had any Ducks at all (other that the one in Murphy's War). It's one of those where you genuinely question why it's not a real world build 😄
The Brits had the Walrus as their go to sea plane for ship launches ..probably why they never used the Ducks.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

SPINNERS

Great stuff and I do love the shape of the Grumman Duck.

PR19_Kit

It looks just SO darn logical in that scheme.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

RAFF-35

Quote from: Wardukw on August 05, 2023, 12:51:35 AM
Quote from: RAFF-35 on August 05, 2023, 12:27:27 AMTo the best of my knowledge, we never had any Ducks at all (other that the one in Murphy's War). It's one of those where you genuinely question why it's not a real world build 😄
The Brits had the Walrus as their go to sea plane for ship launches ..probably why they never used the Ducks.

Very true, the performance figures are very similar. But what if there was some reason that the Walrus couldn't be built in the numbers they were, or that the RAF/Fleet Air Arm required more amphibious aircraft than could be supplied? 😄

Old Wombat

Quacking good build, old chum! ;D

It's FAA colours, so there's no way she could look bad, though. ;)  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 04, 2023, 03:17:14 PMYou mean we DIDN'T have any?  :o

I just assumed we did, I've watched 'Murphy's War' too many times I guess.  ;D

I assumed we had as well, but a quick check of Putnams teaches me yet again not to make assumptions  :angel:

It really suits that scheme, well done  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

The Duck is a cracking good piece of work; it made me think that the trusty Walrus (sometimes known as a Pusser's Duck or Steam Pigeon)  had actually  been supplemented in the FAA by the Duck.   Well done!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Wardukw

Quote from: RAFF-35 on August 05, 2023, 02:57:08 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 05, 2023, 12:51:35 AM

Very true, the performance figures are very similar. But what if there was some reason that the Walrus couldn't be built in the numbers they were, or that the RAF/Fleet Air Arm required more amphibious aircraft than could be supplied? 😄
Or maybe the Brits got their hands on new ships built for the USN which for some reason or another they didn't need or want or the Brits needed far more  and they came fully kitted out with Ducks already sitting on the catapults and the British just thought " Yup we'll use that..get the paint cans out lad " 😊