Airco DH2. Finished Pics Pg 10.

Started by zenrat, August 05, 2023, 03:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 04, 2023, 04:25:55 AMWhat could it come up with when asked to include the jet engine in the story though?  ;)  ;D

Maybe i'll find out.

Finished this today.  No pics yet.  Well other than one on my phone which you'll only get to see if you are at Adelaide Model Expo on Satyrday.  :mellow:
And because i'll be in Adelaide over the weekend there will be no more pics taken until next week.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

OK, here's a different website's attempt at a Biggles story.

I typed in the title and the AI did the rest.  This took under a minute to produce.  All I have edited is to correct from american spellings.

Biggles Flies a Jet Powered DH2.

Introduction:
In the world of aviation, few names command as much respect and admiration as Squadron Leader James Bigglesworth, better known as Biggles.  Throughout his illustrious career, Biggles has piloted a wide array of aircraft, leaving his mark on the history of flight.  Among his numerous daring exploits and ground-breaking missions, one particular adventure stands out – the time when Biggles flew a jet-powered DH2.  This unprecedented undertaking not only pushed the boundaries of what was previously thought possible but also showcased Biggles' exceptional skill and bravery in the face of adversity.  Join us on this incredible journey as we delve into the story of Biggles' extraordinary flight powered by a jet-propelled De Havilland DH2.

Chapter 1: The Genesis of a Revolutionary Idea.
It all began one stormy night at Hangar 17, a place where Biggles and his resourceful team would brainstorm their wildest aviation dreams.  Fuelled by innovative ideas, they pondered the notion of marrying a ground-breaking jet engine with the legendary De Havilland DH2, a biplane known for its exceptional manoeuvrability and stability.  Little did they know that this idea would birth one of the most audacious and awe-inspiring flights in aviation history.

Chapter 2: Converting the DH2
With the genesis of their idea, Biggles and his team set to work, meticulously planning the modifications required to convert the DH2 into a jet-powered marvel.  The aircraft's wings were redesigned to accommodate the jet engines, which necessitated substantial reinforcement for the added weight and enhanced performance.  The cockpit underwent significant changes to ensure optimal control and navigation, making room for additional dials, switches, and levers required for jet propulsion.

Chapter 3: The Test Flight
After countless hours of dedicated work and multiple setbacks, the moment of truth arrived.  Biggles took to the skies in the newly modified DH2, ready to test his ground-breaking creation.  As the engine roared to life and the jet propulsion kicked in, Biggles experienced an exhilarating rush like never before.  The aircraft soared through the clouds, effortlessly gliding through the air with immense speed and precision. It was a sight to behold, a testament to Biggles' ingenuity and audacity.

Chapter 4: Facing Challenges
As with any remarkable undertaking, Biggles encountered unforeseen challenges during his jet-powered DH2 flight.  One such hurdle came in the form of the aircraft's increased weight due to the added jet engines.  Biggles had to masterfully adapt his piloting techniques to compensate for the altered centre of gravity and maintain stability.  Additionally, the newfound speed brought unexpected turbulence, pushing Biggles' skills to their limits.  Yet his unwavering determination and undying passion for flight propelled him forward, steadily overcoming each obstacle in his path.

Chapter 5: Triumph and Legacy
In the end, Biggles' flight in the jet-powered DH2 was an unequivocal triumph.  He successfully demonstrated the incredible potential of combining jet propulsion with a classic biplane design, forever opening new doors in aviation innovation and inspiring future generations of pilots to push the boundaries of what is possible.  Biggles' audacious feat stands as a testament to the indomitable spirit of human exploration and serves as a reminder that dreams can become reality with determination, skill, and a little bit of daring.

Conclusion:
Biggles' flight in the jet-powered DH2 remains one of the most significant milestones in the history of aviation.  It showcased the power of innovation and determination, proving that even a legendary aircraft like the DH2 could be transformed into something entirely new and awe-inspiring.  This ambitious endeavour not only solidified Biggles' place in aviation folklore but also left an indelible mark on the future of flight.  Through his daring and adventurous spirit, Biggles continues to motivate generations of aviators to push the boundaries of what is possible, forever inspiring us to reach for the skies and beyond.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Flyer

Cool, waiting patiently to see it. Unfortunately there is no way I'll be able to attend the show. Will you be driving over to Adelaide via the coastal route by any chance?
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

zenrat

Quote from: Flyer on October 05, 2023, 03:08:23 AMCool, waiting patiently to see it. Unfortunately there is no way I'll be able to attend the show. Will you be driving over to Adelaide via the coastal route by any chance?

Inland probly.  We are transporting a 14yr old niece over and are on a deadline.  Leaving at 5am tomorrow to avoid city traffic.
Fred

Flyer

Bugger. Nutha time then. :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

zenrat

Quote from: Flyer on October 05, 2023, 03:59:27 AMBugger. Nutha time then. :thumbsup:

Definitely.  When we have more time.  I prefer the scenic route but it does take longer.
Fred

PR19_Kit

That 2nd Biggles story is somewhat worrying.  :-\

If a MACHINE can come up with that in a few seconds, what are the prospects for any future authors? It reads just as if one of us had written it, except it's a trifle 'wordy', a few too many syllables perhaps, but otherwise it's pretty good.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 05, 2023, 04:26:56 AMThat 2nd Biggles story is somewhat worrying.  :-\

If a MACHINE can come up with that in a few seconds, what are the prospects for any future authors? It reads just as if one of us had written it, except it's a trifle 'wordy', a few too many syllables perhaps, but otherwise it's pretty good.

That's why WGA (resolved), SAG-AFTRA, and SAG-AFTRA (for computer games) went on strike; while several authors, including Grisham and GRRM are suing AI writing sites for copyright infringement.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

I've now got to decide if we can award AI a Whiffie ?  :angel:  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 05, 2023, 06:13:08 AMI've now got to decide if we can award AI a Whiffie ?  :angel:  ;)

If she looks like Caprica 6 or Boomer, I say give them anything they want...  :wub:  :wub:

scooter

Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 06, 2023, 01:25:51 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 05, 2023, 06:13:08 AMI've now got to decide if we can award AI a Whiffie ?  :angel:  ;)

If she looks like Caprica 6 or Boomer, I say give them anything they want...  :wub:  :wub:
:thumbsup:
Or #3  :wub:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Rick Lowe

Quote from: scooter on October 06, 2023, 01:36:22 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 06, 2023, 01:25:51 AM

Or #3  :wub:

True - I had forgotten Lucy...  :wub:  and she's a Kiwi Gal, too! :thumbsup:

zenrat

No AI here.  Just me.

Airco DH2 Jet.

Airco DH-2 Jet - 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Biggles wandered into the back of the 266 squadron hanger and stopped short with amazement.
"Bertie!" he exclaimed "by the anti clockwise propeller of my sainted aunt, what the deuce has The Professor done to this poor old DH2?"
"Well old chap" Bertie replied adjusting his monocle "he's jolly well gone and fitted it with what he calls a 'jet' engine.  Says it's going the be the coming thing and pretty soon every bally kite will be flying around looking like its tails on fire".
"Hah!  That'll be the day.  I'm sure this'll just be another flash in the pan.  That's if it even works at all.  Shall we take it up?  Come on, give me a hand pushing it out.  I don't suppose you know how to start it do you?"
"I suppose we just light the blue touch paper.  Here, take my lighter..."

Airco DH-2 Jet - 21 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

"Bertie" Biggles asked "is that my armchair from the mess?"
"Yes old chap."  Bertie polished his monocle " The Professor said it was better used here than it was supporting your jolly old backside in front of the fire"
"That's debatable.  But why is it attached to that length of rail with what look like a couple of pairs of roller skates?"
"It's what he calls an Evacuator Seat.  Says that it's a major contribution to air safety.  Says that pretty soon we'll all be flying in them.  Apparently what y'do is pull on this cord here which causes the ACME (Aeroplane  Construction and Maintenance Establishment) parachute up there to open, dragging the seat up the length of rail whence it will fly clear of the plane.  He says you'll then drift down to earth safely ensconced in a comfy chair.  See, it even has straps to hold you in.  Probably got a pot of tea and a plate of bikkies as well so you can have a spot of tiffin on the way down.

Airco DH-2 Jet - 9 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

"Bertie."
"Yes Biggles."
"Is that bamboo?"
"Bamboo?"
"Yes.  On the frame holding that, whatchermacallit, jet? engine  Is that bamboo?"
"Absolutely old bean.  Absorbs vibration according to The Professor.  Bally clever chap.  Remember the Art Deco Aluminium coffee service that cute little Mlle Yvonne used to use to bring us our coffee in in bed every morning?  Well he melted it down and cast the fittings that holds the jolly old Chinese sticks."

Airco DH-2 Jet - 17 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

"Bertie" said Biggles "pass me a cigarette would you".
"Sorry old chap, no can do.  This edition has just been reprinted in 1975 in a children's book cub edition and you're off the jolly old smokes now until at least 1996 when nostalgia brings back unbowdlerised texts for the adult market".
"Heck's bells that's unexpectedly disappointing" ejaculated Biggles with a scowl "I'm so darned annoyed I'm off to the mess for a stiff glass of pink lemonade.  Oh dear, not that as well.  Gosh!.."
And with that he shrugged on his leather flying coat, knotted his silk scarf around his neck, lit the blue touch paper and roared off into a crisp Flanders dawn to hunt down Von Stalhein because he knew that while the prigs and the do-gooders might take away his fags and his gin, deep in their shrivelled little black hearts they still had one thing in common with him, the joy of shooting a racially stereotyped arch enemy out of the sky in a ball of fire.

Airco DH-2 Jet - 22 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model.

Revell 1/72 Airco DH2.
A&A Klimov VK-1 engine (from 1/72 Lavochkin La200b).

Airco DH-2 Jet - 23 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Steel Penguin

just utterly brilliant,  and the backstory is smile raising as well.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!