Airco DH2. Finished Pics Pg 10.

Started by zenrat, August 05, 2023, 03:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Not many instruments there.  I may add a Machmeter...  ;)

I haven't thought as far ahead as the fuel tank(s).  But they'll be gravity fed obviously.  :mellow:

Engine will be uncowled (why hide all that detail) so there will not be an intake in the conventional sense.  The centrifugal compressor will draw air in through the inlets like those seen here (mesh covered) on this Rolls Royce copy of the original Soviet Klimov design.

Not sure how powerful the "suck" would be but Biggles might like to ensure he is strapped in.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

mexchiwa

Next re-engine a Vampire with a Gnome-Rhône

PR19_Kit

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Needs the cowling stripped back though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: zenrat on August 07, 2023, 05:00:15 AMNot many instruments there.  I may add a Machmeter...  ;)

I haven't thought as far ahead as the fuel tank(s).  But they'll be gravity fed obviously.  :mellow:

Engine will be uncowled (why hide all that detail) so there will not be an intake in the conventional sense.  The centrifugal compressor will draw air in through the inlets like those seen here (mesh covered) on this Rolls Royce copy of the original Soviet Klimov design.

Not sure how powerful the "suck" would be but Biggles might like to ensure he is strapped in.

;D ;D

The funny thing about the Nene - VK-1 thing is that Klimov was well into the design process before an example
of the Nene had arrived in the Soviet Union or he had actually seen one. Klimov based the design on information,
including a general arrangement drawing, published in aviation journals he used the general layout of the Nene
and enlarged it slightly - primarily to compensate for known and potential materials issues, but it wasn't really a
direct copy of the R-R engine. Somewhat amusingly, the first examples of the VK-1 were undergoing tests before
the first RD-45 was ready, which was a direct copy. 

Less than 10% of the parts were interchangeable between the VK-1 and the RD-45, those that were interchangeable
were primarily standardized things like electrical and plumbing connectors, fasteners etc., many of the basic parts that
are even interchangeable with a piston engine.

RAFF-35

I love this idea! Is the tail going to be made from metal or is it going to be a twin boomer?
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

zenrat

Good question.
I will retain a single rudder but relocate it above the horizontal tail elements.  The jet efflux will pass below this through the open end of the tail framework.  Some of which will be made of metal.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

jcf

Something like the engine/propeller fairing/rear fuselage of the Vickers Type 161?

You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment.

Wardukw

Jon that's a cool looking plane ..they tried their  best to stream line it it seems.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Quote from: jcf on August 08, 2023, 09:49:08 AMSomething like the engine/propeller fairing/rear fuselage of the Vickers Type 161?...

Ummmmm, no.  Not really.
But I do like the COW gun.
Fred

NARSES2

I've always liked the look of the 161, but the position of that roundel gives it a cartoonish air  ;D

I think the COW gun, did anyone call the RSPCA ?  :angel: , was used on a couple of flying boats as an anti U-Boat weapon, but it wasn't up to much. It was developed into the "S" gun though. It does look good though  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: zenrat on August 09, 2023, 04:16:08 AM
Quote from: jcf on August 08, 2023, 09:49:08 AMSomething like the engine/propeller fairing/rear fuselage of the Vickers Type 161?...

Ummmmm, no.  Not really.
But I do like the COW gun.
I meant the jetpipe running in a similar fashion to the empennage in terms of appearance.

PR19_Kit

Was that some sort of Shrage Musik installation, meant to fire upwards into the enemy bombers/Zeppelins?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 09, 2023, 08:07:53 AMWas that some sort of Shrage Musik installation, meant to fire upwards into the enemy bombers/Zeppelins?

Similar yup.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 09, 2023, 08:07:53 AMWas that some sort of Shrage Musik installation, meant to fire upwards into the enemy bombers/Zeppelins?
Primarily bombers rather than airships, as by the time 161 and its more convention Westland counterpart were designed and flew, 1931 and 1930 respectively, the airship was no longer considered as a realistic offensive weapon.