Airco DH2. Finished Pics Pg 10.

Started by zenrat, August 05, 2023, 03:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Impressed with your work sir, I can vaguely remember just how fiddly that was  :unsure:

Quote from: zenrat on August 19, 2023, 03:47:48 AMI'm pondering some sort of Dieselpunk (or is it Keropunk?) 'chute powered ejector seat.

All RFC/RAF got parachutes or just James Bigglesworth esq. ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Well this is The Professor's prototype, so just this one.
I'm thinking about a seat mounted to rails attached to the upper wing.  A packed chute is mounted on the upper wing which when opened drags the seat out of the nacelle up the rails and away.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on August 19, 2023, 05:09:25 AMI'm thinking about a seat mounted to rails attached to the upper wing.  A packed chute is mounted on the upper wing which when opened drags the seat out of the nacelle up the rails and away.

An elegantly Kerbal Space Program-esque solution.

But will the parachute pack say ACME?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

I can't help thinking that some hefty elastic bands should be involved somewhere................  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: scooter on August 19, 2023, 05:38:03 AM
Quote from: zenrat on August 19, 2023, 05:09:25 AMI'm thinking about a seat mounted to rails attached to the upper wing.  A packed chute is mounted on the upper wing which when opened drags the seat out of the nacelle up the rails and away.

An elegantly Kerbal Space Program-esque solution.

But will the parachute pack say ACME?

It will now.  :thumbsup:
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

I'm assuming the parachute will be a re-purposed 'chute from an observation dirigible? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 19, 2023, 05:59:05 AMI can't help thinking that some hefty elastic bands should be involved somewhere................  ;D

Right again, Kit! A very early collaboration between Messers Martin and Baker.    The M&B spring-loaded elastic whoopee cushion!  The prototype model was constructed, or so it is believed, from Valentine Baker's grandfather's "Everite" braces (one source claims that the elastic from Baker's grandmother's underwear was used)  and a  large second hand bedspring  from a redundant mattress..

When the ejector pin was withdrawn, the combined power of the compressed spring and elastic in tension hurled the intrepid aviator  violently upwards  along the seat rails, over the upper wing  and out to the left (thus avoiding the  propellor  of the DH2)  whilst a further  long elastic band pulled the ripcord  on the parachute pack when the ejected individual was a reasonable distance from the stricken machine.  Manufacture was sub-contracted to the Aeroplane  Construction and Maintenance Establishment at Farnborough...............hence the letters A C M E  stencilled on every installation.  Pilots were told that if the aeroplane was in terminal difficulties,  "pull the pin and twang out to safety"

Other members of the group will (I hope) add further information on this unique piece of kit.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Sounds a bit like the mechanism in Billy Connolly's Jobbie Weecha  ;D

zenrat

Hmmm, yes.
Very good technical description Rheged.
:thumbsup:

Having removed the jigs and offered up the engine I realised the main mounting point for it could be a pin fitted between a hole drilled in the back of the engine and the original rotary motors boss which is moulded on the back of the firewall.  This means that the engine subframe doesn't have to actually mount the engine securely, just look like it does.
This is a good thing.

DH2 Jet WIP  20-08-2023 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

NARSES2

Can I ask where the jet's air intake is ? Or does it come in between the pilots legs ? Curry night in  the Mess Thursday's ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

No rockets involved in the ejection system?

You cannot view this attachment.

Wardukw

With out your hand there in the pics mate I had no real idea just how small this is ...it's small!!!
Even more qudos to ya for the size Fred  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
It's looking pretty good so far to ..by the way  ;)
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 20, 2023, 06:05:08 AMCan I ask where the jet's air intake is ? Or does it come in between the pilots legs ? Curry night in  the Mess Thursday's ?  :angel:

The ring just forward of the wing strut, with lots of "V" shaped supports & simulated mesh, is where the air enters the engine, the front is made up of sundry systems drawing power from the turbine shaft.

CFBV
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 21, 2023, 02:28:07 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 20, 2023, 06:05:08 AMCan I ask where the jet's air intake is ? Or does it come in between the pilots legs ? Curry night in  the Mess Thursday's ?  :angel:

The ring just forward of the wing strut, with lots of "V" shaped supports & simulated mesh, is where the air enters the engine, the front is made up of sundry systems drawing power from the turbine shaft.

Ah, right  :thumbsup: