Avro Stockport (Alias The Vital 1st V-Bomber) • FIN •

Started by Vulcan7, August 05, 2023, 07:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulcan7

The Avro Stockport will be a jet engined version of the Lancaster  ;D

You cannot view this attachment.
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Rheged

The Lancaster has form as a jet test-bed   I assume that the  Stockport  built on this research:-    https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=37719.msg780261#msg780261.  This will definitely be a thread worth returning to !
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Lancasters and Lancastrians were used quite extensively as engine test beds. I've got a couple of conversion sets myself.

I also live in Stockport and spent 10 years working at Woodford, so I'll be watching this thread with more than the usual interest. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Wardukw

I'm gonna be a watching this I is ..haa huh ..yep  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Vulcan7

Quote from: Rheged on August 05, 2023, 07:39:57 AMThe Lancaster has form as a jet test-bed  I assume that the  Stockport  built on this research:-    https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=37719.msg780261#msg780261.  This will definitely be a thread worth returning to !

Many thanks for the link, I'll do my best with this but don't get your hopes up too much  ;D  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Weaver on August 05, 2023, 11:55:34 AMLancasters and Lancastrians were used quite extensively as engine test beds. I've got a couple of conversion sets myself.

I also live in Stockport and spent 10 years working at Woodford, so I'll be watching this thread with more than the usual interest. :thumbsup:

Not come across any Lanc jet conversion sets? was going to make up my own thing?  :o  ;D

I was born in Stockport but had to go south for college & work, but I did visit the Woodford works when I was in the Scouts, amazing place  :thumbsup:

Weaver

Quote from: Vostoc7 on August 06, 2023, 07:50:18 AM
Quote from: Rheged on August 05, 2023, 07:39:57 AMThe Lancaster has form as a jet test-bed  I assume that the  Stockport  built on this research:-    https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=37719.msg780261#msg780261.  This will definitely be a thread worth returning to !

Many thanks for the link, I'll do my best with this but don't get your hopes up too much  ;D  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Weaver on August 05, 2023, 11:55:34 AMLancasters and Lancastrians were used quite extensively as engine test beds. I've got a couple of conversion sets myself.

Not come across any Lanc jet conversion sets? was going to make up my own thing?  :o  ;D

I was born in Stockport but had to go south for college & work, but I did visit the Woodford works when I was in the Scouts, amazing place  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Vostoc7 on August 06, 2023, 07:50:18 AM

One of my sets is made by Combat Kits and is a conversion from a Lancaster to a Lancastrian with RR Nenes in place of both outer engines. The other one is a standard Lancastrian conversion without the jets, and I don't know who made it: it's just in a plastic bag with no instructions. I've also got a set that adds the Viper auxiliary jets to the outer nacelles of a Shackleton. What I had in mind was some sort of 'hot rod' Lanc, with a Lancastrian fuselage mated to Shackleton wings with their Griffons and Vipers.

When I first walked into the Woodford main assembly hall, I got some serious vertigo from the sheer size of it, and that lasted for some days after I started. It always rather saddened me that that sense of wonder went away so quickly, to be honest.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on August 06, 2023, 11:12:00 AMThe other one is a standard Lancastrian conversion without the jets, and I don't know who made it: it's just in a plastic bag with no instructions.

I've got one of them too,  The same firm did an FAA Jetstream trainer conversion too, I think they were called K&P or similar.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

M&E, Kit.  Now Brigade Models.

And I like the Avon show pic, I see at maybe 6 of my builds on the table.  Glad to be supporting the SIG in absentia.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on August 06, 2023, 12:14:33 PMM&E, Kit.  Now Brigade Models.

And I like the Avon show pic, I see at maybe 6 of my builds on the table.  Glad to be supporting the SIG in absentia.

Ah! I knew it was just initials anyway.  ;D

Yes, there was quite a bit of interest in some of yours, specially the Spitfire Twin, which most commenters assumed was some sort of a Whirlwind kit-bash.  We soon sorted them out.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

There was a Lancastrian conversion from S&M, which was just resin nose and tail fairings in a bag, albeit quite delicate hollowcasts.   There was another one similar, but more primitive. I've a feeling the master forthat was the M&E one, assembled and dropped into rubber.

Magna did something a bit more comprehensive, including decals for Alitalia.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

loupgarou

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 06, 2023, 02:37:45 PMThere was a Lancastrian conversion from S&M, which was just resin nose and tail fairings in a bag, albeit quite delicate hollowcasts.   There was another one similar, but more primitive. I've a feeling the master forthat was the M&E one, assembled and dropped into rubber.

Magna did something a bit more comprehensive, including decals for Alitalia.

In the good old days, Sutcliffe had a Lancastrian conversion, possibly in a sheet with other conversions, IIRC
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

The Wooksta!

The bad old days, you mean. That conversion was VERY rough and it's be easier, quicker and more accurate to whittle and sand lumps of balsa to the requisite shapes.

Thinking it was on his original York conversion, and by Cliff it's fecking rough!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

loupgarou

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 06, 2023, 02:59:11 PMThe bad old days, you mean. That conversion was VERY rough and it's be easier, quicker and more accurate to whittle and sand lumps of balsa to the requisite shapes.

Thinking it was on his original York conversion, and by Cliff it's fecking rough!

Could have been. I had assembled the York fuselage and sanded all the rivets from the ancient Airfix Lanc wings...   :rolleyes:
Built the Lancastrian as Alitalia and later (20 years ago ?) even managed to sell the York material  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Vulcan7

Done the basic build, the turret guns will be remote control....

PR19_Kit

Oooh those engines look good, how did you do them?

And the dihedral tailplane is a essential inspiration too!

Regards
Kit