HP 38 Heyford Coastal Command

Started by Robomog, August 07, 2023, 04:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robomog

Hi  all

Published this on Sprues a few weeks ago thought you would be interested in seeing it here.

Simple paint whiff here using the Matchbox kit as a base, always loved the Heyford but virtually all of them we're boring green NIVO finish so something had to change.

Heyford's were retired around 1939 but many continued in secondary roles such as glider tugs and trainers, so my premis is some were seconded to Coastal Command to assist with submarine patrols, a bit tenuous you may think but it would pack more punch than a Tiger Moth or Anson. But bottom line is I thought it would look good in green and gray over white.

So here's the pics

This is my first two colour airbrushed masked camoflage scheme and I'm really happy how it turned out.

As always all comments and criticisms gratefully accepted

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly harmless ...............

Old Wombat

And in the Coastal Command scheme she looks beautiful*! :wub:

Just goes to show what a difference a change of (colour pallet of) clothes can do. ;D

[*: But, then again, almost everything does! ;) ]
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Moggy dude ..without a doubt the best Heyford I've ever seen 👍👍👍
Now helpful tip time 😀
When ya have a crappy model to play with ..paint it white and try to weather the white with a gray..light to medium gray with gentle dry brushing will highlight the wings surface..a pin wash will show up the everything that a has a joint or seam...when I build my Coastal Command A-20 Havoc I'll be doing all that and more 😀
Still a great build for a dinosaur of a kit 👌
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Rat

Top rank, that is, absolutely beautiful.  :wub:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

RAFF-35

Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

loupgarou

The Swordfish's big brother!  &lt;_&lt;
Nice idea and very well done paint job!
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Dizzyfugu

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

PR19_Kit

It DOES look great in green and grey over white. In fact it looks EXCEPTIONAL!  :thumbsup:

What a brill idea, and I'm surprised Their Airships didn't think about it in the RW.

I still can't get over the forward facing exhausts on the Heyford's Kestrels though. What WERE they on, thinking like that?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on August 08, 2023, 12:06:32 AMThe Swordfish's big brother!  &lt;_&lt;

Absolutely  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

I to like the Heyford and I can certainly see them being used in Coastal Command, especially in the Irish Sea, Atlantic Approaches and in areas around the Clyde Estuary where there'd be no danger of bumping into the odd Me 109 or Me 110  :thumbsup:  Manpower might be the issue, but then there's all those retired RAF aircrew to call on.  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Vulcan7

That's a beauty for sure!  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Rheged

That is a most impressive build, and the beginning of a really entertaining backstory!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Glenn Gilbertson

That's different - it looks very good in that camouflage! :thumbsup:

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 08, 2023, 05:50:43 AM
Quote from: loupgarou on August 08, 2023, 12:06:32 AMThe Swordfish's big brother!  &lt;_&lt;

Absolutely  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

I to like the Heyford and I can certainly see them being used in Coastal Command, especially in the Irish Sea, Atlantic Approaches and in areas around the Clyde Estuary where there'd be no danger of bumping into the odd Me 109 or Me 110  :thumbsup:  Manpower might be the issue, but then there's all those retired RAF aircrew to call on.  ;)

RAF Home Guard?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng