DONE @p.9 +++ 1:72 Dornier Do 36; '59+47', Deutsche Luftwaffe, LTLG 54, 2001

Started by Dizzyfugu, August 16, 2023, 11:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

I will tackle another one for this GB, a kitbashing and  -modding project that has been lingering in the back of my mind for long (parts are mostly there!) but which was - until now - too scary to tackle. The GB is a good occasion and motivation to get things going, though. Again, I will only post the finished build because there are some rather vague and hazardous aspects (like creating whole body parts from scratch or at least through massive mods) involve, so that progress and outcome are uncertain. I can tell so far that it will be a modern German aircraft design and also carry modern Luftwaffe markings.  :police:

"Failure is always an option."  ;)

Wardukw

Failure is always an option."  😆..Mythbusters 😊
You've gotta go for it Diz..this one sounds very interesting indeed 😉
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

Theme is a transport aircraft - and the plan/idea is to add/implant a tail ramp into a hull that was not meant to carry one...  :unsure:  This project might even include one or two additional models as load, for a complete "set"!

Dizzyfugu

Good news: work has slowly started with the new engines (what else?  ;) ), and I dug out some donor and reference kits for measuring and comparison of optional ingredients.

Wardukw

I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

Last weekend resulted in some more progress. Donor engine were revamped (come from an vintage and "crashed" project from my youth) and work on the fuselage started. I might add WiP pics soon, though, because the mods I plan/make/try are so massive that it's hard to describe everything in detail without visual reference.  :rolleyes:

Dizzyfugu

So, here comes the visual update. First the major ingredients - this is not a koit conversion, but rather a kitrbashing of two Matchbox Do 28D Skyservants!

1:72 Dornier Do 36; Deutsche Bundesluftwaffe (What-if/kitbashing) +++ WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

There were/are three core thoughts behind this build when I held one of the kits in my hands:
  • Could a Skyservant be outfitted with turbofans blowing over the wings (Coanda effect) like the stillborn C-14?
  • What about changing the landing gear from a tailsitter into a tricycle arrangement?
  • Wouldn't a loading ramp make sense

For the engines I had an assortment of old (35 years?) engine pods from a Matchbox A-10 at hand., which had to be revamded thoroughly:

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

However, the rest of the aircraft requires SERIOUS mods to meet my vision of the potential outcome. For the tricycle landing gear it was soon clear that the fuselage would have to be lengthened in front of the wings, therefore the 2nd Do 28D was used as a donor bank.
At the same time I also started with work on the tail ramp. The Do 28D's tail is tapering, but with a boxy diameter, and I tried to use as much of the original structure as possible with long cuts along the edges to widen the area with blossom-like petals, including the fin.
Becoming a military transport aircraft, some window were closed, too, as well as the original double door - it will later disappear behind an external pod for the landing gear, and a new pair of doors (from the donor Do 28D) will be inserted directly behind the cockpit/in front of the wing "hump". BTW, the fuselage halves are still separate, because I want to complete and stabilize the tail first - the interior is only secondary, but I think about a movable ramp and a rough interior with a floor and some ribs in the opening area.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

loupgarou

Always interesting a Do-28 whif. It's eminenly whiffable. When you wrote of 2 kits, I was afraid you were planning a zwilling, like the one I have "in-build" since years...
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Dizzyfugu

Well, the original Do 28D is not "enough" to convert it into a tricycle layout - just moving the wings backwards would look strange. I thankfully have a Revell Do 228 as reference for the proportions at hand, and I guess that the plug behind the cockpit should be enough. The wings will probably have to be extended, too, to keep the proportions. But the parts are there to do this stunt, and Kit will certainly like that.  ;D

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 22, 2023, 12:10:41 AMWell, the original Do 28D is not "enough" to convert it into a tricycle layout - just moving the wings backwards would look strange. I thankfully have a Revell Do 228 as reference for the proportions at hand, and I guess that the plug behind the cockpit should be enough. The wings will probably have to be extended, too, to keep the proportions. But the parts are there to do this stunt, and Kit will certainly like that.  ;D

Always.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

I know it's mandatory in certain circles, but I prefer to be careful.  ;)

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

PR19_Kit

What a silly idea! Who'd EVER want to do that.......................

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

That does look rather good actually.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw