DONE @p.9 +++ 1:72 Dornier Do 36; '59+47', Deutsche Luftwaffe, LTLG 54, 2001

Started by Dizzyfugu, August 16, 2023, 11:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Wardukw on August 22, 2023, 10:11:14 PMDizzy would have fun building those wings  ;D

UH-1 blades could work; depending on the fuselage size in 1:72 or even 1:48? There were much bigger aircraft with Hurel-Dubois wings, IIRC even a transport aircraft.

BTW, things keep moving, slowly. The cockpit has now been cut off of the fuselage and glued together, still sans cockpit. A front landing gear well was implanted, and for a different look I gave the Do 36 a thimble radome for a navigation/weather radar. The fuselage plug has also been prepared now...

1:72 Dornier Do 36; Deutsche Bundesluftwaffe (What-if/kitbashing) +++ WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

...for dry-fitting - and it turns out to have a roof level about 1.5 mm lower than the cockpit section! I think I will mend that later with a simple styrene plate glued onto the roof as a filler and PSR it into the rest of the hull - but this was unexpected. I will also add a bulkhead behind the cockpit section, so that you will not be able to see through the fuselage (when the ramp is open - hopefully!). Saves more interior work, too.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The proportions are now very Britten-Norman Islander-ish? The extended hull will now be used to calculate the necessary wing extensions, so that the overall proportions will be kept. And a T-tail will have to be added, too, probably witn the help from a leftover part from a Matchbox Buccaneer mounted onto the OOB Do 28D fin tip.

Wardukw

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 22, 2023, 11:34:07 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 22, 2023, 10:11:14 PMDizzy would have fun building those wings  ;D

UH-1 blades could work; depending on the fuselage size in 1:72 or even 1:48? There were much bigger aircraft with Hurel-Dubois wings, IIRC even a transport aircraft.

BTW, things keep moving, slowly. The cockpit has now been cut off of the fuselage and glued together, still sans cockpit. A front landing gear well was implanted, and for a different look I gave the Do 36 a thimble radome for a navigation/weather radar. The fuselage plug has also been prepared now...

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

...for dry-fitting - and it turns out to have a roof level about 1.5 mm lower than the cockpit section! I think I will mend that later with a simple styrene plate glued to the roof and PSRed into the trest of the hull - but this was unexpected. I will also add a bulkhead behind the cockpit section, so that you will not be able to see through the fuselage (when the ramp is open - hopefully!). Saves more interior work, too.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The proportions are now very Britten-Norman Islander-ish? The extended hull will now be used to calculate the necessary wing extensions, so that the overall proportions will be kept. And a T-tail will have to be added, too, probably witn the help from a leftover part from a Matchbox Buccaneer mounted onto the OOB Do 28D fin tip.
I'd look at 48th and up Thomas..72 would be to narrow and short .
Lovin the build so far 👌
Yeah I'd go with the Norman Islander mateand if ya really wanted to go that route mount a engine on the tail like the tri engined version  :wacko: 😁
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

The project stalled last week due to various, mostly job-related reasons, but work was resumed yesterday. Rear fuselage halves were closed, because I felt that additional work on the interior would lead nowhere, the plus was mounted to it an PSR galore is about to start.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Wardukw

That already looks like it's been PSRed to death already 😳 😀
Still looks good so far Thomas mate 😉
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

More slow progress, though no pics. Many small things went forward, e .g. that the cockpit has been inserted into the still separate nose (unpainted, though) because the nose weight and the front wheel well changed the internal available space. The fin and the rudder were  capped and I modified the Buccaneer T-tail section to fit (stabilizers cut off, shortened ny about 9 mm). The rudder was also modified - the original Do 28D has a wedge-shape lower end, and this was filled with a styrene triangle and putty to create more surface.
The main landing gear fairings, which will be attached to the lower flanks, were created from the Do 28D's OOB engine pods; looks pretty good and they just fit between the tail ramp and the new side doors ahead.
More PST was done all around the hull, including the raised roof on the fuselage plug and the tail, where one of the side walls along the ramp opening turned loose again.
A new floor in the cargo cabin was added, which stabilizes the hull further.

Messy affair at the moment.

Wardukw

Sounds bloody complicated at the moment Dizz...but it's also got me very interested 😀

Dizzyfugu

A visual addendum from yesterday, now with enlarged fin and the side fairings

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Last evening's attention was on overall PSR and the interior, at least of the ramp area. I made a pattern for the ramp, which will have to be scratched, and decided to add a fairing to the walls around the opening. I consulted pictures of German C-160 Transalls and these have open insulation paddings on the inner fuselage walls, with a solid metal floor (which is already mounted), plus some bumper on the lower walls.. The insulation can be easily mimicked with paper tissue, and I will add balsa wood strips as bumpers, too. A convenient solution, and it will look fine for a cursory glance.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Slow pace, but we make progress - there are so many areas that need mods and scratched solutions on this one!  :-\

Wardukw

Pellson

Immensely impressive, Thomas!  :wub:

In the light of this, should probably stop complaining and just get on with my Amodels. There's apparently no such thing as a bad fit..  ;D
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Rick Lowe

Bad Fit can always be rectified with enough:
Glue
added plastic
filler
Big B*stard Files
  ;D  :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

To be honest, this one here is close to carving it directly from a piece of wood...  :-\

zenrat

Hmmm.  Scratchbuilding an interior INSIDE a closed up fuselage.  Tricky...

;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Yes, doing that earlier would certainly have been the obvious solution. But the fuselage with its many mods requires so much attention that I had to find a solution to add "something inside" along the way. Cheap tricks help, though,  ;D

Old Wombat

Cheap Trick(s) rather Whiffer appropriate song:

;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Progress, progress... In the meantime I started to take care of the wings. To match the longer fuselage I extended the OOB wings (what Kit will certainly appreciate  ;) ), an easy task because of the straight leading and trailing edge and the fact that I have two pairs at hand. I considered alterantives (Twin Otter, S-2), but the clean and modern look of the Do 28D wings eventually convinced me to keep them. With some calculation I decided that each wing needs a 2cm plug to retain the aircraft's overall proportions, and these were added to the root sections. The upper sides with the seams will later be partly buried under the engine nacelles, which also received an initial treatment to fit over the leading edge. Not certain, though, whether I add the bulky pods before I mount the wings to the hull or later? I think now, because the pods will require serious PSR to blend into the wings, and because they will be quite lose to the hull I think that it's easier to handle that with the wings still off.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The stabilizers will also be replaced with deeper parts - the OOB stabilizers have a wavy fabric structure, which looks nice but does not work on a jet aircraft anymore. As replacements/donors I found leftover wings from an AZ Models Kawasaki Ki-78 - they are so tiny that they work well on the Do 36's T-tail, with clipped tips, filled landing gear wells (they come from a single massive part that also includes part of the lower fuselage!) and a slightly straightened trailing edge. Works well in combination with the shortened Buccaneer base, but requires PSR, too. They were mounted just this morning.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr